Winegard trav'ler and wind

Noofear

I just had a Winegard traveler satellite system installed on my Big Horn. Does anyone know when you should lower the satellite dish in high winds?

All the installer told me was that I should lower the Dish at night in case I got hit with 100 mile an hour wind. We are expecting 20 mile an hour winds with 40 mile an hour gusts later this week, I'm out in the open and won't be protected by any buildings or trees.

What do you think, has anyone run into this before?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

Very likely that the manufacturer isn't going to provide a wind limitation just because of liability. However, if you're thinking that 40 mph winds might be too much, I'd drop the antenna just to be safe.

Here at the coast, most folks pay attention to the marine forecast and lower their antennas when winds are forecast to exceed 40 mph (gale warnings issued) or when wind gusts are expected to be 20 mph or greater. Some are even more conservative and drop theirs when small craft advisories are issued.

Go with your gut. :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A 100 MPH wind?? I would worried about a whole lot of other things. The traveler looks well built, but mounted to some thin plywood.