Winterizing-Black Tank Flush/Drain for W/D

EurekaJ

Well our first year owning an RV is coming to close this weekend. We have a Bighorn Silverado 36TB and have been blowing out our water lines that past 2 weekends to be on the safe side due to below freezing temps and have a couple questions. It should be safe to / should I, blow out our blank tank flushers??? I am guessing I would have to have the gate valve open? It wouldn't need much to blow out the line.

Also, we have never opened or used the drain for our washer and dryer hook-ups. I tried once to get the cap off the drain and didn't want to try to hard. Do I need to put antifreeze down there for winter as well?? There should be no water in the P-trap.

PS. I am using the new Winterizing Guide posted on here.

Andy

danemayer

Hi Eurekaj,

Yes you do want to blow the water out of the black flush line or it will freeze.

If the washer drain has never had water, the p-trap should be empty - unless the factory or dealer tested it and left some water behind. May be safer to winterize it since you don't know for sure.

But if you have washer prep, you will have water in the pex lines going to the washing machine valves, and those lines need to be winterized. You might want to use the washer drain to get rid of that water and then add antifreeze to the p-trap.

brianharrison

In addition to the above, don't overlook the ice maker winterization, if you unit is equipped with one. It does have a bit of unique process to ensure all the water is out of the solenoids and lines feeding the unit.

Brian