Which way to go

We are considering Sundance 3300SK or Big Country 3250TS and sure would like to go with a 2500 HD gas. We've had 1 ton Dodge diesel (loved it and wish we still had it) but with fuel prices and difference in truck prices would like to avoid diesel. Would appreciate info from anyone that might be pulling with gas and considerations from all the experience out there. This will be our first step into 5th wheeling.

jpmorgan37

fireboss33;

I had a 2500HD gas and it wasn't enough truck to pull my 33 ft Seabreeze. I did pull a 30 ft and averaged 5 mpg and it suffered on steep hills. Go get your 3500 Diesel and enjoy, because it won't be any fun with the 2500 Gasser. I've been there.

John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
fireboss33 do you have a truck now? If you have a 2500 gas, try it and see how it works. If it's not enough truck, go out and find a nice well taken care of used diesel. You will have more power and better mileage and fuel costs overall. Not to mention a truck more capable of working hard. I pulled our 3400 with an 8.1 gasser and although it did the job, I replaced it with a diesel and it does the job effortlessly.

Hey, thanks for the info, hope to make a decision soon and it's always best to hear from someone who has "been there, done that" Thanks again. "Let's Roll" 9-11-2001 Never Forget

Netem

I tried two 2500 6.0 gas trucks one with a 373 rear end and one with 410's both trucks would pull the 5er but worked way to hard. I now have the 2500 HD Duramax and would never tow again with gas.

cliffbuilt

Gas vs. Diesel

Back in early 80's we towed a 40' Alfa w/8' slide using a Chevy K3500 DRW 400 SB, after several rebuilds & swaping to a BB 454 I got out of RVing, I now own a 99 F250 PSD & Mrs. Owns 08 Dodge 2500 Cummins, Know doubt about it. Towing with a Diesel is the way to go !

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have never pulled a 5th wheel with a Gasser. However I received some advice that has served me well. First, pull a 5er with a diesel that way you won't have to buy two trucks. Second, If you have to worry about the price of fuel you can't afford to RV.

Now the last one is not meant to be rude, however it is correct. If your buying a 5er to just camp on weekends then you can take trips when you can save enough cash for fuel by planning. If you plan to go fulltime or part time then you stay in one spot until you have the cash for fuel.

If the Diesel fuel goes up to $5 a gallon I will not be happy, but I will keep fulltiming. I will just have to set a bit longer.

Now one advantage for you. The price of Diesel fuel is outrageous. It is most likely that there will be some good Diesel's on the market at a low price. When I purchased my F250 the price of a used Diesel was very close to the price of a new one so it made good sense to purchase a new one. If you take your time you should get a good buy on a Diesel.

For the 5er's you indicated most 3/4 ton Diesels will handle the 5ers. And if I were you I would look at those with a full size bed, then you can use any hitch you like. I like the B&W. It is a little expensive but at my age I need to be able to lift it out easily and it allows a clean bed when removed..

If your going to go fulltime or think you might go fulltime I would really look into a 5er that has plenty of room, 4 seasons, and would be comfortable for your family to live in. That is why I traded in my 30ft, 2slide, queen bed 5er for a Bighorn 3400RE. The Bighorn is much more comfortable to live in fulltime. Look to the future as what your going to want to do, take your time and get the one that will meet your needs. Then you only have to pay for one rather than two or more. I speak from experience.

FWIW
BC

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I would concur with the used diesel option. We were able to pick up a high mileage 2001 F250 for $13K. Probably less now that fuel prices have gone up. We had our mechanic check it out before we bought it. The truck is in excellent condition, was traded in where it was bought and came set up for a fifth wheel. Added gauges and goodies already installed, It has been absolutely great to pull with and unloaded it gets twice the mileage of our Gas truck. Towing, it gets twice the mileage of the class A we had, so it costs less to run. even taking into consideration the added cost of diesel, we figure we can go almost twice as far on the same amount of money.
Now if I could just get rid of the F150 4x4, I'd have even more gas money.:)