Windows 10, anyone?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I ask from my iPad . . . :p

Anyway, both my desktop and laptop are running Windows 7 . . . and I resisted Windows 8 . . .

So wondering if anyone has made the switch to Windows 10 and should we stay of should we go?

Bones

I ask from my iPad . . . :p

Anyway, both my desktop and laptop are running Windows 7 . . . and I resisted Windows 8 . . .

So wondering if anyone has made the switch to Windows 10 and should we stay of should we go?

I have windows 8.1 and it works good. I am holding off a little bit until they work out a few bugs in a few weeks

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
John:

I just read yesterday that if you have win 8.1 on a tablet, leave it as win 10 could slow your tablet down, if you have win7 on your computer, leave it also...I do have win 8.1 on my tablet and have no issues with it and will wait until more reviews come in. My main computer has Win7 and I will not be updating to 10 unless the reviews are all positive. You may want to wait, you have a year for the free upgrade. This first edition of 10 has a number of items left off that will be added in late fall....

JohnD

I miss Windows 3.1 . . .

That was the most fun . . . and user friendly!

MCTalley

Since I have three valid Win7 licenses that I run in virtual machines on my Mac, I might be tempted to take one of them and upgrade it to 10, just for giggles since I'm only really using two of my Win7s right now anyway (for work purposes).

Given that it is a 3 Gig download, I may hold off until I can borrow some good, free bandwidth and not tap my expensive mobile bandwidth.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I also have Windows 7 and not sure about doing the 10 thing. My only concern is that Win 7 will not be compatible with certain programs before long.

GOTTOYS

I do E-mail and web surfing....Will I notice much of a difference if I install it on my Vic Commodore 64?? ....Don

JohnD

I do E-mail and web surfing....Will I notice much of a difference if I install it on my Vic Commodore 64?? ....Don

I don't know . . . 'cuz it ain't runnin' so good on my TI 99-4A! :p

Last edited:
I upgraded to W10 64 this morning on my 5 year old W7 HP laptop. Took about an hour and restarted automatically 3 times to get the job completed. Desktop looks the same; shortcut all there, explorer and the start menu are organized a little different but maybe better/easier to find things. Made the laptop seem to run a little better because it clean out the accumulative W7 clutter. As we all have experienced all applications get updated along the way and MS has put a lot of effort to get this right, so I would say if your situation is similar to mine, go for it.

Flyerone

I have heard Windows is going to a subscription service, it's free for a year but after that they will charge you for updated OS. Windows 10 is supposed to be the last "version", updates will cost you $$$

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I have heard Windows is going to a subscription service, it's free for a year but after that they will charge you for updated OS. Windows 10 is supposed to be the last "version", updates will cost you $$$

[/Not true at all...all updates are free for the life of Windows 10...That was a rumor a long time ago and was clarified by Microsoft.]

Nope on the subscription notion, W7, W8 are going away eventually and not be supported sometime in the future like XP. Read from PC Gamer magazine: At its press event, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users during its first year of availability. There was some confusion, however, when Microsoft's Terry Myerson started talking about Windows 10 "as a service." Did that mean that after that first year of free availability, Windows 10 would cost an annual fee? Myerson's provided clarification after the presentation, and he confirmed that there will be no additional fees attached to Windows 10.Myerson clarified that Windows 10 users will still get free updates and support for the lifetime of the OS, exactly like past versions of Windows (like XP and Windows 7's Service Packs, for example). There's no subscription model for updates or support or continuing to use the OS. Myerson's reference to Windows "as a service" simply meant that Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs.

Ladiver

OK, I will chime in. I am an IT guy and am not concerned with Windows 10. I have been using it for quite a while, as I was part of the tech preview and beta process. The first few versions we got were not that great, but the last 2 or 3 were flawless for me. I have not used to latest version yet, but I am sure it is as stable as the last few I used. All of my programs seemed to work without issues. We also use custom software at our office and that worked without any problems. I have NOT used Windows 10 on a tablet yet, so I can't say for sure how that will work out. I do have a MS Surface Pro running 8.1 and would be willing to give 10 a try. I just need to take the time to make it happen.

As with any update, make a complete system backup (and test it!!!) before upgrading.

Nabo

Tried to upgrade last night and could not thru a 4G Mifi system. Now what?

Bones

I just got my notice about updating now. I will update in a few days. I'm going to give it a few days to ease the server from updates.

If your 4G Mifi system won't work for some reason that cannot be remedied, I would try a Wifi/Ethernet plug at home or if you are on the road try a Starbucks Wifi. Not sure if you have a desktop, laptop or tablet.

BTW, No need to wait due to "server" traffic if W10 was pushed to your computer as it was for my desktop it gives you the option to install immediately or a time to schedule when the computer can be left on not being used. For my laptop I pulled W10 from the MS site and completed the download installation.

Nabo

Have a laptop and tablet but the tablet doesn't show or ask to be updated. Hate going to a public wifi area for internet services. Not safe.

Have a laptop and tablet but the tablet doesn't show or ask to be updated. Hate going to a public wifi area for internet services. Not safe.
=====================
I understand. You have time until you can get to a secure environment. Does the 4G Mifi system not support the size of the download? Also the MS site does enable you to download W10 to a flash drive so you can install on multiple computers at a later time. Perhaps with this method you could go to a Library log on to their computer, plug in the flash drive and download. Then later do the install on you computers. Maybe others have different ideas.:)