Windows 10, anyone?

Bones

well I had some time so I clicked the button to upgrade. So far thing are smooth. Took a total of about 40 minutes and I'm back online.

Geodude

I updated our Windows 8.1 laptop to Windows 10. Initially i was getting a message saying "error, something went wrong". Thanks Microsoft. Then I copied the installer onto a USB stick and it installed fine from there.

Overall it seems to tone down Windows 8.1, has a lot of familiarity with those of us who have been on 7 for quite some time. There are some nice new touches. The machine it's on seems to boot a bit faster, but not remarkably so.

I like it so far. I'll wait six months before I do our other two machines, to give them time to work out the bugs that will pop up.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
If anyone updates a tablet to Win 10, please make a posting as to how it runs. The only article I have read stated that it could slow a tablet down, but not all tablets......
Don't want to upgrade just yet.....

travis_g

I have upgraded 4 of mine so far with no issues. It is nice to have my start menu back but if you've been on 8.* it is a bit different . I am very happy with it so far but there is a 1+GB patch already available . I just updated my dell venue 8 pro and it seems to be running about as well as it did before. I also upgraded my Surface Pro 3 today but its more powerful than most laptops these days. :)

MCTalley

Reinstalled my Win 7 64-bit on a Parallels VM. Taking it into work tomorrow to see if I can get it to upgrade to Win10.

Resiemon

What have we learned on all of the releases since Win 95? The first ones to switch get a poorly running computer.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

MCTalley

Mine installed pretty easily. Most of the glitches I ran into were not related to Windows 10 directly, but to the VM software I use on my Mac (Parallels, which needed the latest update) and the fact that I had also just upgraded my laptop from 8GB RAM to 16GB RAM which isn't officially supported by Apple and started causing a lot of other issues with my computer. I'm back on the 8GB now and things seem to be running smoother again.

Biggest thing I noticed so far is that it takes Win10 quite a while to boot up. Again, might be my environment and the fact I've dedicated only 2GB RAM to the VM that it is running in.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just installed win10 but cannot comment on it yet as I just finished installing it. Upgraded from Win 8.1. Win 10 so far looks like a Win 7 and Win 8.1 hybred. We shall see.

wdk450

I am a fulltimer and only have a Verizon 5510 WiFi, with 5 GB data allowance a month. I have been doing websearches trying to find out how big the Windows 10 download is, but can't find any answers.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I am a fulltimer and only have a Verizon 5510 WiFi, with 5 GB data allowance a month. I have been doing websearches trying to find out how big the Windows 10 download is, but can't find any answers.

[ I just read an article that stated the 64 bit version takes 20 GB on your hard drive. However, it also stated you can download it to a 3 gb USB drive.]

- - - Updated - - -

jmgratz

I have DSL here at the house and it took about 1 1/2 hours to download to my laptop last night. I would try to use the park wi-fi if I were you.

asherwin

Currently running W7 on my devices and will continue to do so until the commercial (business) sector makes the move. They are currently still running 7 as 8 was a disaster. W10 is supposed to be what 8 was meant to be so hopefully they got it right this time. No rush.

I experience sluggishness on my desktop and laptop and resolved the problem by doing a defrag.
The graphics on the various Windows seem to be more one dimensional example, the explorer window pane is
less defined when sizing columns, scrolling, etc. Will take a little getting use to.

jmgratz

I experience sluggishness on my desktop and laptop and resolved the problem by doing a defrag.
The graphics on the various Windows seem to be more one dimensional example, the explorer window pane is
less defined when sizing columns, scrolling, etc. Will take a little getting use to.

I use Firefox for the internet.

JeromyS

I've been running Window 10 for months now. For those of you who've wished to be able to submit feedback directly to Microsoft, the "Windows Feedback" application gives you the ability to do just that. As with any new software release there are a few glitches. It'll take a month or two to get everything ironed out across all the different devices and drivers and software. I can say this has been the easiest upgrade I've ever been through and one of the smoothest releases I've been a part of (I work for Microsoft). I have already upgraded all my family to Windows 10 (all who I recommended avoid Windows 8/8.1). So far nothing but positive reviews.

Anyhow as with any upgrade be sure you backup your data and always follow your instincts. If you're not ready to take the plunge hang back for a while. No doubt it's a step in the right direction for sure!

UPDATE: Windows 10 experience since 7/29/2015

Be aware of the following Windows 10 caused malfunctions using on my 5 year old HP desktop and laptop computer working fine on W7.
- HP Solution Center W10 upgrade software package (to enable scanning) for the HP 6500 all-in-one Printer has a dis-functioning .dll file. For W10 to start a printer software upgrade, HP directs you to uninstall all previous printer drivers and software, then download the HP W10 software package from their HP site and installed (~1 gig). This resulted in a persistent window alert advising that a .dll was installed that is not the correct file or is corrupted and to reinstall the software or "contact your administrator", (lol, I am the administrator:confused:). Note; this "alert window" cannot be clicked closed without it "poping" back up again and again on top of all other windows, and you cannot turn the computer off from the "Start" menu, as it hangs up the computer from shutting down properly. YOU WILL HAVE TO DO A "HARD SHUT-DOWN" BY TURNING OFF THE COMPUTER AT THE PUSH BUTTON SWITCH ON THE COMPUTER CASE :mad:. I did this "hard shutdown" several times in disbelief to regain control of my computer. After I uninstalled everything I just installed, I was able to get the annoying alert window removed. I tried again and repeated the printer software download/install process paying special attention and the results were the same; more hard shutdowns, alert window and uninstalling it all once again.:( This took about 7 hours (lots of download time). Note; W10 does provide (not from HP) a basic printer driver to enable printing, but I no longer have the use of the scanning function of the printer.:(
Bottom line; I would NOT install W10 if your printer situation is similar to mine. Now that I have W10 I am hesitant to buy any new printer right now as the W10 printer drivers may not be compatible or available for W10 as described above. I will wait for a while and maybe HP will fix the flaw in the HP Solution Center software for the 6500 printer. I will not waste any time trying to notify Microsoft or HP of this.
Note: We have one laptop with W8.1 that we use to scan documents on said printer. We will not upgrade that computer to W10.

- W10 "File Explorer" suffers from what I call "memory drain".
After ~20-30 minutes of using the W10 file explorer window function to manage/move/locate open files, the file manager windows starts to lose its function, symptoms are; partially or does not display the files, seems to get bogged down and freezes, moving files seems to cease function, can't open files at all, computer starts to freeze and loose function in any other window application.
Bottom line: Does this on both computers (and probably every one else's) so I would expect a W10 patch to resolve this sometime soon, I hope. MY TEMPORARY SOLUTION IS TO RESTART "FILE EXPLORER" FROM THE "TASK MANAGER". SOMETIMEs THROUGH FRUSTRATION I WILL DO A COMPUTER REBOOT. I HAVE PERFORMED COUNTLESS VIRUS SCANS, DE-FRAGS AND REGISTRY SCANS TO ELIMINATE THOSE AS PROBLEM SOURCES.

Are your W10 experiences similar to mine?

Good luck with your choice.

Mburtsvt

I don't know . . . 'cuz it ain't runnin' so good on my TI 99-4A! :p

You might want to consider moving up to the Commodore Amiga A1000. Of course you will need the bridge card, but I’m sure you will be more than happy. BTW - I love old computer jokes.

Windows Free since 2003.