Windows 10, anyone?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You might want to consider moving up to the Commodore Amiga A1000. Of course you will need the bridge card, but I’m sure you will be more than happy. BTW - I love old computer jokes.

Windows Free since 2003.

I really 'cut my computer teeth' on the Commodore Amiga 500 and the Commodore 64. I still have a Amiga 500 with all of the software, many programs, an external 20 meg hard drive and even a Mac simulator card with Mac external 3.5 floppy drive. Remember the Commodore 64 was the first GUI (graphical user interface) computer and the Amiga 1000, 500 and 2000 all would multi-task while 'big blue' (IBM) was still using DOS. Shades of the 'good old days'. The Amiga 2000 was used to make Robocop (the movie) at Microsoft in Houston TX.

I really 'cut my computer teeth' on the Commodore Amiga 500 and the Commodore 64. I still have a Amiga 500 with all of the software, many programs, an external 20 meg hard drive and even a Mac simulator card with Mac external 3.5 floppy drive. Remember the Commodore 64 was the first GUI (graphical user interface) computer and the Amiga 1000, 500 and 2000 all would multi-task while 'big blue' (IBM) was still using DOS. Shades of the 'good old days'. The Amiga 2000 was used to make Robocop (the movie) at Microsoft in Houston TX.

At home I thought I had a cool Com 64 system with a 9" CRT TV, then "upgraded" to a IBM clone without a hard-drive, too much $$$ back then, loved loading the 5" floppies, lol. My forward thinking boss said at the time when I requested a computer at work at TRW, "what will you do with a computer"?

jmgratz

At home I thought I had a cool Com 64 system with a 9" CRT TV, then "upgraded" to a IBM clone without a hard-drive, too much $$$ back then, loved loading the 5" floppies, lol. My forward thinking boss said at the time when I requested a computer at work at TRW, "what will you do with a computer"?

I probably have 100 or more 3.5 inch floppies and a bunch of 5 inch floppies. As the kids nowaways about that and they don't have a clue what you are talking about. For those who don't know the Commodore Amiga had a graphics chip and a sound chip. You would load the operating system from a floppie at startup. Had an external 20 meg hard drive loaded with many programs including games and never filled it up. Amazing that programs today are so large. The Commodore Amiga could do 3D graphics in full color including 3D animations and still not fill up that 20 meg hard drive. What a cool machine way ahead of its time.

wdk450

I had a Sinclair Z-80 calculator-sized computer, pre GUI. As I remember it data was entered in assembler code, and was stored on an audio cassette deck. Then I graduated to a Commodore 64, and finally to microsoft DOS/windows PC's.

Electronics has gone from electron tube-based devices to software defined microprocessor devices in my lifetime.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I still have my old circa 1982 IBM PC1 complete with the original keyboard and the green monochrome monitor.

It was fitted with two 512K 5" floppy disk drives, but I bought a used Seagate 20MB hard drive for $750 bucks.

Last time I booted it up was sometime before Y2K . . . which is probably why earth is still in existence as we know it today! :cool:

meri

I tried Windows 10 for about 25 days on my laptop. After not being able to decipher all the different icons, search without constant ads in their search engine, I attempted to contact Microsoft answer team-website kept cycling back to original page. It has numerous apps that I did not know what to do with nor could I find any explanations of their use. Since I was completely satisfied with my Windows 7, I recovered it. As the last screen said, if I miss improved searching, security , etc. come back. I did not experience improved searching, security or anything else. If anything I wasted countless hours trying to find a reason to keep it. Fortunately the recovery was smooth and my laptop was fully operational after restart.

Bones

I tried Windows 10 for about 25 days on my laptop. After not being able to decipher all the different icons, search without constant ads in their search engine, I attempted to contact Microsoft answer team-website kept cycling back to original page. It has numerous apps that I did not know what to do with nor could I find any explanations of their use. Since I was completely satisfied with my Windows 7, I recovered it. As the last screen said, if I miss improved searching, security , etc. come back. I did not experience improved searching, security or anything else. If anything I wasted countless hours trying to find a reason to keep it. Fortunately the recovery was smooth and my laptop was fully operational after restart.
I'm still running it on my laptop but my desktop is still running windows 8.1 I have noticed weird things with 10 as well.

Geodude

I have W10 on two laptops and have a desktop pending. So far totally pleased with it. That said, I've turned off Cortana and spent a lot of time locking down a number of the privacy issues that come with this OS.

Last edited:

Thank you for confirming that I have not been the only one unsatisfied with Windows 10. I returned my laptop and desktop to Windows 7. The laptop was a simple RESTORE process and I was back to the "Good old days" in about 30 mins. The desktop did not revert back so simple as I got a message that popped up telling me there was not a RESTORE point to return to my original Windows 7 configuration, so I had to do a RECOVERY which is a process whereby the HP software automatically does a reformatting of the hard drive partition and the original factory Windows 7 was installed, which of course does not include all of the software I installed after I purchased the HP computer or W7 updates since 2010. I had to reinstall all of my software and virus protection and internet as if it was a brand new computer. In the end I am in my comfort zone with W7, can use my printer again and the desktop runs like a new PC.

Bottom line; I really did not need the headache this past month with this ridiculous Windows 10 and trying to convince myself why I should keep it. "STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS 10."

(Sorry for the rant):D

Lynn1130

I have it on the laptop and one desktop. I have not installed it on the other desk top yet but so far I have been happy with it. I am not seeing a big difference from 7 and what I have seen I like.

donr827

After a some self learning and help from my computer man I like it. I do not like Edge because the home page is nowhere as good as my old lap top with Windows 7.
Don

jmgratz

I have been using Win10 and find it okay. Better than win8.1 or win 8.0. I really did like win7 and it worked fine. Why do they always have to be messing with os. What happened to the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

porthole

Retired
Having used windows since the beginning, I now just wait until whatever my current version is no longer supported-working.

Win 7 using Parallels on a Mac - for as long as I can hold out :cool:

wdk450

I did the upgrade yesterday as this TT campground (Ponderosa, Lotus Ca.) has pretty good free internet, the park is only about 1/2 full, and I am leaving today. The whole process took most of the morning, with the 2GB download taking about an hour. There were some hiccups and nothing happening times on the computer, plus needing to download another 0.6 GB. Once I got everything working O.K. , my final task after running my virus scanner and my speed-up scanner was to do a normal back-up to my external hard drive. This started and proceeded normally, but when I finally came back to the computer the backup had failed with an error message telling me that I could not have my Windows 7 and Windows 10 backups both on the same device. I will probably buy a moderately sized thumbdrive for the Windows 10 backups for now. I guess I now probably have to burn a new Windows 10 rescue CD-ROM.

JohnD

I still haven't done the upgrade . . .

Many have told me they like Windows 10 . . . and many have told me the opposite.

So I'm still on the fence about it.

The pop-ups for the free download have picked up again!

jmgratz

I upgraded to window 10 several months ago on our computers. We have found it to run smoother and faster than Win 8.1. We are keeping Win10

pegmikef

. . . but when I finally came back to the computer the backup had failed with an error message telling me that I could not have my Windows 7 and Windows 10 backups both on the same device. I will probably buy a moderately sized thumbdrive for the Windows 10 backups for now. I guess I now probably have to burn a new Windows 10 rescue CD-ROM.

Bill, I just bought a new lap top with windows 10. Are you saying I won't be able to use the bulk disc drive I have been using to back up my other computers, when I try to back up any stuff I put on the new one? My others are XP and Vista (don't laugh, they both do the job well).

JohnD

I'm still running Windows 7 in my laptop and main desktop and Windows XP on my secondary desktop.

All three are running perfectly fine, which is why I hesitate to do Windows 10.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have a desktop and a laptop running Windows 10, with the most recent update (that was basically a complete re-install), and a work laptop running Windows 7. To tell the truth, the interface is so similar that I don't have a particular favorite. I do agree with the comment about the Edge browser. I still use IE or Firefox on my Win10 systems.