Windows 10, anyone?

halfcam79

As a person that is in IT work I never run two versions of anti-virus. I use the paid version of MalwareBytes. The free version only has manual scanning, where the paid version is proactive. It protects my network of over 550 PC's.

Jeff

wdk450

BTW, I discovered (much after the fact) that when I did the original move to Windows 10, the CD/DVD drive on my Toshiba Laptop was permanently disabled. Trying all fixes posted on online forums has provided no fix of this problem. I will someday buy a new laptop because of this.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
BTW, I discovered (much after the fact) that when I did the original move to Windows 10, the CD/DVD drive on my Toshiba Laptop was permanently disabled. Trying all fixes posted on online forums has provided no fix of this problem. I will someday buy a new laptop because of this.

Try using an external USB CD/DVD drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
As a person that is in IT work I never run two versions of anti-virus. I use the paid version of MalwareBytes. The free version only has manual scanning, where the paid version is proactive. It protects my network of over 550 PC's.

Jeff

I have Norton on my laptop . . . McAfee on the desktop.

I also have Spybot on both and run that manually as it always seems to find stuff that the other two spyware programs never seem to catch.

I will say that now that I've had Windows 10 running for awhile and have had a few updates it seems to be running well on both computers now.

Bogie

Since moving to windows 10 on my desktop, I no longer use an antivirus program. Windows 10 has this built in and it has been reported to be very good and well updated. Most virus attacks these days are zero day exploits, so antivirus software can't keep up with them anyway. Best thing to do is to be careful on where you go, what you click on and be suspicious.

My laptop is a MAC. Less vulnerable to attack, but I'm careful here too. Never say never.....

wdk450

Since moving to windows 10 on my desktop, I no longer use an antivirus program. Windows 10 has this built in and it has been reported to be very good and well updated. Most virus attacks these days are zero day exploits, so antivirus software can't keep up with them anyway. Best thing to do is to be careful on where you go, what you click on and be suspicious.

My laptop is a MAC. Less vulnerable to attack, but I'm careful here too. Never say never.....

Maybe that is why my Webroot antivirus hasn't found any attacks for the past 18 months. It HAS prevented me from entering risky websites.

Rollin_Free

External USB drive won't work, either. I think I have a registry problem.
This has happened to a bunch of people.

I've been scanning this thread since posting on it and until now it has just been background information for me since I didn't think this affected me. When you said internal or external DVD drives don't work and you think you have a registry problem I recalled I did have a DVD issue with my Toshiba as well but it started running again. I didn't connect that I have been using Advanced Registry Optimizer and routinely run it on my computers without thinking about it. I'm not saying this will fix your problem but it may be worth a try. Good luck, I know it's frustrating.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Strange. My HP laptop seems to work fine with W10, along with my peripherals. Have had problems with IE11, so I use Mozilla FireFox for general use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Rollin_Free and all:
I bought and tried the Advanced Registry Optimizer. It detected over 3000 problems with the registry on the first try, and no effect with the CDROM problem. What was worse was I lost wireless internet function, along with Windows Startbar function. It took 4 repeated scans with the Registry Optimizer to get the detected problems down to 0. I had to use my Windows 10 rescue disk along with my latest system image on my external USB hard drive to get my system back to normal. I am trying to get my money back from the software vendor.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Chrome still has issues with Win10 . . . locks up frequently on both of my computers.

Rollin_Free

Rollin_Free and all:
I bought and tried the Advanced Registry Optimizer. It detected over 3000 problems with the registry on the first try, and no effect with the CDROM problem. What was worse was I lost wireless internet function, along with Windows Startbar function. It took 4 repeated scans with the Registry Optimizer to get the detected problems down to 0. I had to use my Windows 10 rescue disk along with my latest system image on my external USB hard drive to get my system back to normal. I am trying to get my money back from the software vendor.

Sorry for the negative results you got from the registry optimizer. Due to the many versions and various software available I usually don't mention what success I've had with computer software fixes since, as in this case, not everyone will have positive results. My sincerest apology.

wdk450

Sorry for the negative results you got from the registry optimizer. Due to the many versions and various software available I usually don't mention what success I've had with computer software fixes since, as in this case, not everyone will have positive results. My sincerest apology.

Rolin_Free and All:
I am happy to report that I got a full refund credit card credit from Advanced Registry Optimizer after reporting my experiences.