Windows 10, anyone?

wdk450

Bill, I just bought a new lap top with windows 10. Are you saying I won't be able to use the bulk disc drive I have been using to back up my other computers, when I try to back up any stuff I put on the new one? My others are XP and Vista (don't laugh, they both do the job well).

Mike:
I just have 1 laptop and 1 USB backup hard drive - I am just reporting what I encountered, but it would seem that you are not allowed to have 2 levels of Windows backups on the same drive. Your results may vary, but heck, the 500GB (?) USB drive only cost me $49 - I just checked online and the mechanical drives are holding that price, the Solid State Drives (no mechanical parts, about 1000 times longer MTBF) are at about $150, and the 500Gb thumbdrives are at about $350.

At $49, there is no excuse for not backing up your computer on a regular basis. My sister was a travelling sales rep in home furnishings and kept the records on her computer for a group of about 6 such reps in a sales group. She had a problem with her computer, had no backups, and her dumb ex followed the telephone support instructions to reformat the hard drive. WHAT A DISASTER!!! With a rescue CD burned and doing backups once a month, along with 2 virus scanners and firewalls enabled, I am secure that i can get my system running again in the event of a failure.

Since I am now on the security end of things here is some advice if you EVER get a RANSOM or FBI Warning webpage, especially one that seems to lock you out of closing that webpage: IMMEDIATELY do a Control+Alt+Delete keystroke to call up the Windows task manager. End all tasks showing. Run your virus scanner to check on things. So far for me, the warning pages are fakes and the virus is NOT downloaded if you do NOT click on anything on your browser when seeing these threat pages. Actually my Webroot AntiVirus program will throw up a warning interruption screen before it allows you to proceed to a known threat page.

GregP

I installed the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 on my desktop. I had problems running some of my photo editing software and some other programs that I use regularly, so reverted back to Windows 7. I never really had any problems with 7 before, but thought; what the heck, try the free upgrade. I use my Mac when travelling and for most of my day to day stuff, but prefer the 21" monitor on the desktop when doing photos. Maybe my eyes aren't what they used to be.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've been running the free Window 10 upgrade on both of our laptops for a couple of months now. Some learning curve and fidgeting with some programs to get them aligned, but overall it's been working fine. Actually runs a bit faster than Windows 7 did for us. The old desktop we have is still running Vista, but the wife uses it mainly for her photo editing.

Oregon_Camper

I installed the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 on my desktop. I had problems running some of my photo editing software and some other programs that I use regularly, so reverted back to Windows 7. I never really had any problems with 7 before, but thought; what the heck, try the free upgrade. I use my Mac when travelling and for most of my day to day stuff, but prefer the 21" monitor on the desktop when doing photos. Maybe my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Why not keep Windows 10 and simply create a Hyper-V shell inside Windows 10, that runs Window 7?

Window 10 offers sooo much over 7 and 8. Just the ability to create multiple "Desktops" alone is worth the update.

pegmikef

Thanks Bill. Good info. In another life I was a DOD contractor software developer/engineer and I sure know about backups. It just seems that my device inventory keeps growing . . .

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also have a USB external hard drive that I store all my files on, rather than on the laptop's hard drive (although there are copies of some there). Had it on my previous laptop that took a major dump and was able to plug it into the replacement and keep going. Windows 10 doesn't seem to have a problem with it. I also keep copies of all of my training Powerpoint programs I've created or acquired on separate flash drives. That way I can run the class without taking the USB hard drive with me.

pegmikef

Well I fired up my new laptop and have been playing with Windows 10 for a few hours and my first impression is that like it. It does everything I want it to and it is faster than my other units. I have to figure out how to get rid of the annoying popups though.

GregP

Why not keep Windows 10 and simply create a Hyper-V shell inside Windows 10, that runs Window 7?

Window 10 offers sooo much over 7 and 8. Just the ability to create multiple "Desktops" alone is worth the update.

Sorry...If I gave the impression that I actually KNEW anything about computers; I apologize for misleading anyone. I have no idea what advice you offered, although I am sure it makes complete sense to most people. I am the most computer illiterate person I know and a constant source of embarrassment to my kids and grand-kids. I only learned recently that the term "hard boot" has nothing to do with my steel-toed work boots. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I may get one of the grand-kids to help me along.

Oregon_Camper

Type "turn off Cortana" it will show you how to disable it. However... It is really nice to use. Just say "ok Cortana" and then speak your question. Very nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
OK . . . I upgraded both my desktop and laptop to Windows 10 this week . . .

It is running flawlessly (so far) on my laptop, but my desktop (which is the newer computer) is having some hiccups.

Plus, I did loose a software program as well (unfortunately, my music database for my DJ music collection).

It is still intact on my laptop and on my old Windows XP desktop, so all is not lost.

Two things I do not like . . .

1) I miss the old 'Programs' window in the 'Start' button . . .

2) F11 does not hide the task bar in Windows Edge (the new Explorer) . . .

I'm also not to sure how well my Norton & McAfee anti virus software is working with Windows 10 . . .

Four times now in the last two days on my desktop (with a McAfee scan) I've gotten that 'FBI Warning' thing (you know, the one with the red alert sound and it won't stop or go away) at one of my vendors websites . . . and have never gotten that before from them!

And McAfee didn't find anything after a full system scan (however, I know how to make it stop and get rid of the virus manually).

Rollin_Free

You need to remove all 3rd party virus protection. Win 10 uses built-in Windows defender for virus protection and doesn't suffer from software conflicts.

NHCelt

Updated my windows 8 tablet and windows 7 pc...no issues. Good operating system that gets better with updates.

JohnD

You need to remove all 3rd party virus protection. Win 10 uses built-in Windows defender for virus protection and doesn't suffer from software conflicts.

I was using Defender with my Windows 7 installations . . .

Is it any better now in Windows 10 than the other brands?

And . . . can I just shut my other virus protections off without uninstalling them to use Defender?

Rollin_Free

I think it works great and is not conflicting with Windows. You really need to completely remove the other virus protection software to prevent issues with defender. The bottom line is if defender isn't what you were expecting you can always reload McAfee if you decide to but I think you're going to like how well win10 and defender work together.

I've used AVG, Norton, and McAfee and defender has been the easiest hands off software that I've used.

JohnD

I'll be the antivirus software companies aren't too happy about this setup . . .

Rollin_Free

I'll be the antivirus software companies aren't too happy about this setup . . .

I'm thinking the same but it's not advertised very well so many don't really realize that Win10 has free built in virus protection that actually works. Because of that they continue to do what they have always done and purchase other virus protection software.

bnm

I'm thinking the same but it's not advertised very well so many don't really realize that Win10 has free built in virus protection that actually works. Because of that they continue to do what they have always done and purchase other virus protection software.
Free version of bitdefender. Win10 defender is a huge improvement over previous, but can't keep up with free independent testing. Suggest using something else. Nothing protects a user who clicks on everything. Have to be leery of anything you haven't requested.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk