PDA

View Full Version : Our 325 Mods

Shortest Straw
02-22-2016, 08:30 PM
My first project was to get a Progressive surge protector in and clean up the area behind the basement wall. In the first pic I already have it wired up as I forgot to take a pic before I started. The second is after I have it all done and some wires re routed and secured. I also hung all of the heat ducting and eventually will cut them to the exact length they need to be. I ran the monitor for the surge guard up to the switch panel.

43051 43052

Then I installed a 5 led light on the drivers side to provide better lighting.

Next, my better half wanted a queen bed instead of the king. She mostly wanted this so there was more room to walk around the sides. She also wanted a place to put coffee phones and her kindle so I installed some bedside stands. Of course I completely agree with her! :angel:

43054 43055

I also installed our RV Lock but I don't think a picture is necessary.

More to come.

danemayer
02-22-2016, 08:37 PM
Great work!

For20hunter
02-22-2016, 08:57 PM
Nicely done!!

TravelTiger
02-22-2016, 08:58 PM
Awesome Work! Thanks for sharing!

justafordguy
02-22-2016, 09:19 PM
Nice work on cleaning up the wiring, I had my wall down a while back and it's a mess in there. I also cut my bed down to a queen, I love the shelves you made, gotta do that too.

Bones
02-22-2016, 09:27 PM
Looks real good in there

Shortest Straw
02-22-2016, 10:21 PM
Nice work on cleaning up the wiring, I had my wall down a while back and it's a mess in there. I also cut my bed down to a queen, I love the shelves you made, gotta do that too.

I can only take credit for assembly and install. The bed side tables I ordered from Heartland and the tops match the dresser top.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn
02-22-2016, 10:43 PM
Nice job. Nice clean work :cool:

Garypowell
02-23-2016, 07:20 AM
Nice work. Did you move the basement wall back? When I did mine it did not look as nice as your work but I was able to gain an extra foot of basement room.

Shortest Straw
02-23-2016, 08:55 AM
I didn't move it back but I am considering it. I also want to frame the wall in and make the one panel 2 or 3 panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones
02-23-2016, 09:35 AM
take some of your wires off the outside outlet and put them in a jumper box and fish the one wire to the outlet through the sidewall.

HornedToad
02-23-2016, 09:53 AM
Your bedroom modification opens up a new range of possible floorplans for those of us who would only considered a north / south bedroom arrangement because we prefer nightstands.
Very nice job, looks like it came from the factory!!!

Bones
02-23-2016, 10:13 AM

I dropped another box down from the water heater box and jumpered everything from there. This seemed better than having all those wires stuck in that receptacle.

avvidclif
02-23-2016, 10:21 AM
My first project was to get a Progressive surge protector in and clean up the area behind the basement wall. In the first pic I already have it wired up as I forgot to take a pic before I started. The second is after I have it all done and some wires re routed and secured. I also hung all of the heat ducting and eventually will cut them to the exact length they need to be. I ran the monitor for the surge guard up to the switch panel.

43051 43052

You should send those to the factory and show them what is possible with a little pride in your work.

Shortest Straw
02-23-2016, 11:22 AM

I dropped another box down from the water heater box and jumpered everything from there. This seemed better than having all those wires stuck in that receptacle.

I will definitely think about is as the better half wants a drawer installed under the steps and I need to move a bunch of wires to keep her happy!

Thank you all for the compliments!

TravelTiger
02-23-2016, 02:25 PM

43051 43052

Then I installed a 5 led light on the drivers side to provide better lighting.

Next, my better half wanted a queen bed instead of the king. She mostly wanted this so there was more room to walk around the sides. She also wanted a place to put coffee phones and her kindle so I installed some bedside stands. Of course I completely agree with her! :angel:

43054 43055

I also installed our RV Lock but I don't think a picture is necessary.

More to come.

Mike, get some inexpensive floor tiles and cover the bed platform. It will make the surface easier to slide the mattress on, and make it easier to change the sheets and make the bed. DW will appreciate it!

Shortest Straw
02-23-2016, 03:40 PM
Mike, get some inexpensive floor tiles and cover the bed platform. It will make the surface easier to slide the mattress on, and make it easier to change the sheets and make the bed. DW will appreciate it!

Thank you for the idea!

Capt7383
02-23-2016, 03:50 PM
How much were the end tables/nightstands?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw
02-24-2016, 11:00 PM
How much were the end tables/nightstands?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I think they were about 20 bucks, but I do not remember.

Shortest Straw
02-28-2016, 09:57 PM
Added some more back splash today among other not so visible things.

43195 43196

TravelTiger
02-28-2016, 10:52 PM
Looks great! Was that from the factory or something you found?

Shortest Straw
02-28-2016, 10:56 PM
Looks great! Was that from the factory or something you found?

Were you referring to the beer? :cool: Thank you! I ordered it from the factory.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn
02-28-2016, 10:58 PM
Nice job.. What a difference that makes.

Shortest Straw
03-01-2016, 10:49 AM
Nice job.. What a difference that makes.

Thank you. We hope to be able to find a bit of time to chat with you in Vegas, get some more ideas.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn
03-01-2016, 10:52 AM
Looking forward to meeting you and so many others.
It's going to be a blast.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw
03-06-2016, 09:12 PM
I was trying to figure out what to do with my wash pole, walking stick, umbrellas, and the extendable pole for the widow squeegee. I found these at the HD and they fit perfectly across the front storage compartment.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn
03-06-2016, 09:14 PM
Nice job. Do they hold going down the road ?

Shortest Straw
03-06-2016, 09:39 PM
I will find out in a couple of days. They are a tight fit.

Shortest Straw
03-12-2016, 02:02 PM
Nice job. Do they hold going down the road ?

Happy to report nothing fell out of the holder.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn
03-12-2016, 02:14 PM
Good to hear [emoji41]

Pirana
03-28-2016, 01:20 PM
where you got the exact match back splash?

Added some more back splash today among other not so visible things.

43195 43196

Shortest Straw
03-31-2016, 10:36 PM
where you got the exact match back splash?

Ordered it from the factory.

Pirana
03-31-2016, 10:38 PM
Alright....thanks!

Shortest Straw
07-11-2016, 07:46 PM
I was in the process of doing some front closet mods and got side tracked. I noticed the box for the washer/dryer connections was away from the wall and loose as well as the little trim/corner piece on the opposite side. I decided to pull the cubby in the back of the closet out to see if there was any backing to screw the a fore mentioned items into. There is, the assembly folks just didn't get it right. What I also found was open space between the back wall of the closet and the cap.

46331 46332

There are two 1 inch thick pieces of insulation on either side of the closet and that is it. Insulation must be expensive in Indiana. My next mod will be to rectify this situation.

"Hi-Viz" Bill
07-11-2016, 09:04 PM
I have a question, to all the "modifiers" out there!! .. What are the limits on modifications that you can do w/o screwing up your warranty?? ... I.E., If I wanted to clean up the wiring behind the basement walls, and move the basement walls for more storage, would that be a deal breaker for warranty coverage???

danemayer
07-11-2016, 09:31 PM
I have a question, to all the "modifiers" out there!! .. What are the limits on modifications that you can do w/o screwing up your warranty?? ... I.E., If I wanted to clean up the wiring behind the basement walls, and move the basement walls for more storage, would that be a deal breaker for warranty coverage???

If you cause a problem, that wouldn't be regarded as a manufacturing defect. If you modify something and that thing subsequently fails, and it's obviously been modified, that raises the question of whether the failure was due to a manufacturing defect or due to the modification. Warranty covers manufacturing defects.

What happens if the cause of failure is unclear, but the modification is suspected to have caused the problem?

In theory, the burden is on the manufacturer to demonstrate that your modification caused the problem. In practice, you could end up both right and unhappy as your RV sits waiting for repair authorization and the entire camping season passes you by while you argue.

Don't be afraid of modifications. Just don't get over your head.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn
07-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Dan as always the perfect answer !!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw
07-19-2016, 09:42 AM
After getting the measurements between the closet wall and the front cap I decided that one bat of R19 would be the way to go. I used a spray adhesive to help stack the insulation for the first layer against the cap. The second layer is standing straight up and down. I was not able to double up behind the cubby as there is not enough room. Due to limited space it took a couple of hours to get it done. Well worth it though as we no longer get the heat wave when opening the closet doors and the bedroom temp is more in line with the rest of the rig.

46525 46526

Shortest Straw
08-06-2016, 10:53 PM
Ikea to the rescue! We have been trying to decide on a desk for our rig so we can both work while out and about. Ikea has this desk/table and we decided to make it work. We bought 2 of them and I combined them. I had to do a few mods to make them both work together, but the end result will not only work but does not look half bad either. I also used a round saw on each side for our power cords. I have one more mod to do and that is to take one of the left over flip up ends and attach it in front of the drawers on hinges so that we can have a bit of a dinner table as well.

Shortest Straw
08-09-2016, 12:41 PM
We bought what Ikea calls a gate leg table. To combine the two I ended up with two of the table wings left over. I fitted one to make the middle of the table bigger, and increase the overall length as well. The second I cut down and hinged in the front so we can still have somewhat of a dinner table without putting our computers etc away to eat. I also cut down one of the smaller top pieces to create a shelf towards the floor for our battery back up/surge protector to sit on, and to allow the leg of the table to slide under when closed all the way. All finished:

47041 47042

TravelTiger
08-09-2016, 11:04 PM
Awesome!!!

Shortest Straw
10-13-2016, 10:09 PM
With all the glass in our rig we were looking for a solution to keep the heat down without using those shiny metallic things we see hanging in so many other rigs windows. We found this guy in Mesa AZ that agreed to come out and put some heat barrier tint on the windows. It is amazing the difference. Before he came we could feel the heat coming through the glass, and when the sun was hitting the windows directly we could not even touch them. Now after install it is barely noticeable. The rear AC hardly cycled today. We decided to go a bit darker as well but an almost clear film is available.

Only the top half is completed here.

Both of the side windows complete with the middle as OEM.

As I stated before it is a heat barrier first and it works amazingly well!

Bones
10-14-2016, 04:37 AM
With all the glass in our rig we were looking for a solution to keep the heat down without using those shiny metallic things we see hanging in so many other rigs windows. We found this guy in Mesa AZ that agreed to come out and put some heat barrier tint on the windows. It is amazing the difference. Before he came we could feel the heat coming through the glass, and when the sun was hitting the windows directly we could not even touch them. Now after install it is barely noticeable. The rear AC hardly cycled today. We decided to go a bit darker as well but an almost clear film is available.

Nice. Looks good

TravelTiger
10-14-2016, 10:59 AM

Tell me more! Brand? Cost? We definitely need this in Texas!!

Shortest Straw
10-14-2016, 06:13 PM
We had a SunTek film HP15 installed. We went quite a bit darker than OEM. Everytime I post something with a dollar sign I get edited so I will pm you that.

"Hi-Viz" Bill
10-14-2016, 07:21 PM

Hey Mike !! How bout listing some contact info for the "guy" !! ... We'll be in Mesa for the winter !! I would love to look him up !! Thanks

Shortest Straw
10-14-2016, 07:41 PM
Hey Mike !! How bout listing some contact info for the "guy" !! ... We'll be in Mesa for the winter !! I would love to look him up !! Thanks

His name is Scott Holm 4803208117. We got his name from some neighbors here and he has a web site as well. He came in about 150 lower than the other 4 bids we got. Clean work area, nice guy, and showed up on time.

Shortest Straw
10-15-2016, 02:28 PM
The cabinet space above the couch was not really usable so the better half suggested that I build a shelf for it and right now! :cool: I set it back about 2 inches so taller items could go below and still make it over the lip on the bottom of the lower shelf. I also used quarter round trim on the top to keep things from sliding off. When considering stain colors I went with the darker color on the outside of our cabinet doors and I think it looks pretty good. I also capped off the end on the left side to keep items from falling off onto the all important crock pot/steamer/rice cooker that takes up that whole end.

48141 48142 48143

Shortest Straw
01-30-2017, 05:33 PM
The cabinet was too deep to really be useful over by our couch/end of the counter by the stove. One thing I found when taking things apart was that there was a divider installed in the bottom portion that did not allow for 6 inches of space to be used.

I notched things out some so I could put the bottom drawer rails on and then built up the bottom space to do the same and make it all level.

Other than the fact I am still having problems matching the color of the outside, everything works well and it is now usable space.

I put an extra knob on as well. I apologize for the side ways pics, not sure what happened.

JohnD
01-30-2017, 06:02 PM
I apologize for the side ways pics, not sure what happened.

I think the iPhone happened . . .

This seems to be an iPhone issue with the sideways photos.

jbeletti
01-30-2017, 06:21 PM
More great cabinet work Mike!

BigGuy82
01-30-2017, 08:15 PM

Yeah, I think you're right. I posted two photos last week, both shot at the same time with an iPhone. One came out sideways and the other correctly. Could not get the sideways one to display correctly on this forum regardless of what I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bones
01-30-2017, 09:50 PM
Your cabinet mod looks awesome.

JohnD
01-31-2017, 12:03 AM

Yeah, I think you're right. I posted two photos last week, both shot at the same time with an iPhone. One came out sideways and the other correctly. Could not get the sideways one to display correctly on this forum regardless of what I did.

I've never had a problem with either of my android phones and posting photos from them.

iPhone photos, for whatever reason, seem to have issues with the auto-rotate feature when you use the photos on something other than an Apple product.

gwalter
01-31-2017, 01:03 AM
When we see you guys again I want to look at your cabinets above the couch. That is a great idea. We have a few large items there but definitely don't need all that room in all of them.

Shortest Straw
02-21-2017, 10:00 AM
I was able to finish a couple of mods that I have wanted since we bought our rig. The first was a rack in the ceiling of the basement to hold mostly my collapsible ladder among other items. I just used 3/4 inch pvc, 2 hole pipe straps, and a few screws.

I also had the time to move our basement wall back. The original wall started over the lip of the black tray. I used aluminum L stock and screwed them into the floor and ceiling.

49980 49981

One of the issues I had was that the cable connection and electrical outlet were installed so far inside the bay that I had to remove anything in front of them to use them. Originally they were in line with the vent cover. The basement wall was 3 pieces from the factory and now it is 5.

49982 49983

The almost finished wall. There must be a gray felt ban in our area as we were unable to find any. I was able to pull the felt back off of the existing wall, cut it, re glue it, and use it for two of the 5 pieces I wanted.

The difference in storage space may not look like much but it made a huge difference. I am not sure why they don't just put the wall as far back as possible at the factory.

Pirana
02-21-2017, 12:47 PM
very nice! maybe one day Ill start on my list!

TravelTiger
02-21-2017, 02:14 PM
I was able to finish a couple of mods that I have wanted since we bought our rig. The first was a rack in the ceiling of the basement to hold mostly my collapsible ladder among other items. I just used 3/4 inch pvc, 2 hole pipe straps, and a few screws.

I also had the time to move our basement wall back. The original wall started over the lip of the black tray. I used aluminum L stock and screwed them into the floor and ceiling.

49980 49981

One of the issues I had was that the cable connection and electrical outlet were installed so far inside the bay that I had to remove anything in front of them to use them. Originally they were in line with the vent cover. The basement wall was 3 pieces from the factory and now it is 5.

49982 49983

The almost finished wall. There must be a gray felt ban in our area as we were unable to find any. I was able to pull the felt back off of the existing wall, cut it, re glue it, and use it for two of the 5 pieces I wanted.

The difference in storage space may not look like much but it made a huge difference. I am not sure why they don't just put the wall as far back as possible at the factory.

Looks great, Mike!

Oregon_Camper
02-21-2017, 03:09 PM
Love to see a "before" picture of your basement wall. Doing this mod is HIGH on my list.

Bones
02-21-2017, 05:38 PM

49980 49981

49982 49983

Your basement wall looks great. I know that was a great improvement when I did mine

- - - Updated - - -

Love to see a "before" picture of your basement wall. Doing this mod is HIGH on my list.

I think you should put it up higher on the list.