jbeletti's 2018 Landmark 365 Newport

jbeletti

Jim,
I am sitting in our favourite park with 3G. Looking to hear on your experience with Sure Call system. I have seen some Wilson/ Weboost systems with less than ideal results. I like the ceiling vent pull for the coax.

Brian
We hit the road in a little over 2 weeks. We'll be out around 6 weeks. I should get some good testing in during that period. I will circle back to my Mod post and update it with real world test results and post a reply to this thread to advise you to check the Mod post to see the results.

jbeletti

Jim,

Have you considered running the pumps in series as a way to increase water pressure? I don't know if that would work, but maybe that would be a reasonable experiment.
Dan - yes I have. I was told it's not the way to go. I believe it's because some pumps will, not sure what to call it... Bypass I guess at a specific inlet pressure.

So if one pump is pressurizing the inlet of the second pump, it's likely the second pump will not operate but rather, go into bypass mode and pass the flow of the first pump through it. I guess...

danemayer

I don't know too much on the subject of pumps, but I was just thinking of batteries in parallel. You get more amp hours, but the same voltage.

Maybe there are booster pumps that don't care about pressure on the inlet.

jbeletti

PRODUCT ADD: Mopeka TankCheck (propane)

Mopeka has sponsored this product as door prizes for some of our club rallies and in 2017, I asked for an evaluation unit. Today, I finally installed it!

It's the Mopeka TankCheck. This product allows you to check your propane tank levels from their app and from their wall mountable monitor. The kit I received included:
Mopeka TankCheck Standard Sensors
- 6 Mopeka TankCheck Spacers (3 per tank)
Mopeka TankCheck Double Monitor

This product is sold by RV dealers and is marketed by AP Products on Amazon ($93.50 on 5-July-2018)

GOAL
  • Add the ability to accurately and easily read propane tank levels from inside the coach
PROGRESS
Project is complete - time spent was about 30 minutes

5-July-2018
  • Downloaded and installed the Mopeka TankCheck app
  • Removed both propane tanks from coach and turned them upside down
  • Placed 3 TankCheck Spacers, evenly placed around the perimeter of the bottom tank ring of both tanks
  • Placed TankCheck Standard Sensors on bottom of both tanks
  • For tank 1, pressed Sync button on TankCheck Standard Sensor 5 times to wake-up/initialize it, then pressed Sync button to pair sensor with app
  • Repeated above step for tank 2, then renamed both tanks in the app to Door Side and Off Door Side
  • Tested proper operation of TankCheck app
  • Reinstalled both tanks
  • On TankCheck Double Monitor, I pressed and held green tank 1 button until all LEDs in that column flashed, then pressed Sync button on tank 1 TankCheck Standard Sensor
  • Repeated above step for tank 2, using black tank 2 button instead of green
  • Tested proper operation of TankCheck Double Monitor
  • Mounted TankCheck Double Monitor to wall inside coach (2 screws not supplied)
  • Smiled at how cool of a product this is :)
Mopeka - Propane Tank Level Monitor- 2.jpg Mopeka - Propane Tank Level Monitor- 1.jpg Mopeka - Propane Tank Level Sensors- 1.jpg Mopeka - Propane Tank Level - App.jpg

jbeletti

I don't know too much on the subject of pumps, but I was just thinking of batteries in parallel. You get more amp hours, but the same voltage.

Maybe there are booster pumps that don't care about pressure on the inlet.
I have a boost pump for my RO system. I believe it too has a bypass mode. Unsure about all pumps.

Planning to call Remco tomorrow and learn more.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: PRODUCT ADD: Mopeka TankCheck (propane)

Mopeka has sponsored this product as door prizes for some of our club rallies and in 2017, I asked for an evaluation unit. Today, I finally installed it!

It's the Mopeka TankCheck. This product allows you to check your propane tank levels from their app and from their wall mountable monitor. The kit I received included:

This product is sold by RV dealers and is marketed by AP Products on Amazon ($93.50 on 5-July-2018)

GOAL
  • Add the ability to accurately and easily read propane tank levels from inside the coach
PROGRESS

5-July-2018
  • Placed 3 TankCheck Spacers, evenly placed around the perimeter of the bottom tank ring of both tanks
  • For tank 1, pressed Sync button on TankCheck Standard Sensor 5 times to wake-up/initialize it, then pressed Sync button to pair sensor with app
  • Repeated above step for tank 2, then renamed both tanks in the app to Door Side and Off Door Side
  • Reinstalled both tanks
  • On TankCheck Double Monitor, I pressed and held green tank 1 button until all LEDs in that column flashed, then pressed Sync button on tank 1 TankCheck Standard Sensor
View attachment 58428 View attachment 58427 View attachment 58429 View attachment 58430

Told ya! The only thing we changed was to build up a small ledge on the rig's propane tank platform, to mimic the height of the little green feet they give you. Our green feet continually fell off the tank while trying to load a full tank into the compartment. (These feet are to raise the tank and give enough clearance away from the metal base for the sender to operate correctly.) I believe they now ship with metal feet that stay attached to the tank much better.

We've had to replace the batteries in the sensors each year, but the Tank Check product is extremely helpful if you're going through propane quickly in the winter. The app now sends you messages when a tank is getting low. You'll know exactly when you need to get propane!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

MOD: Added Hose Bib to Door Side of Coach

For a few years now, I have wished I had a Hose Bib on the door side of my coach. I'd use it most often for cleaning things like my grill, steps, patio, table, hands etc. I decided to use hot water only for three reasons:
1. My primary need for it is cleaning
2. Installation is simplified and less cost
3. Ease of winterization vs having a plastic hot/cold faucet in the propane cabinet

GOAL
  • Have easy access to hot water for cleaning things on the door side of the coach
BILL OF MATERIALS
  • 1 ea 25 foot Pocket Hose
  • 1 ea Quick Disconnect Garden Hose Fitting (304 Stainless Steel)
  • 1 ea SharkBite Washing Machine Angle Valve
  • 1 ea SharkBite 1/2" CTS Plastic Insulated Stud Suspension Clamp
  • 1 ea Clear Plastic Shoe Box
  • 6 feet 1/2" PEX Pipe (blue)
  • 1 ea PEX 1/2" Brass Full Port Barbed Ball Valve
  • 1 ea PEX 1/2" Brass Tee
  • Misc screws, tie-wraps, PEX Pinch Clamps, scrap of 1/2" thick HDPE and silicone rubber
PROJECT COST
~$65

PROGRESS
Project is complete - time spent is about 2 hours

5-July-2018
  • Using step drill, drilled hole in metal wall on south end of door side propane cabinet
  • Using 1/2' twist drill, enlarged narrow portion of above drilled hole to fit 1/2" PEX pipe
  • Pushed long section of 1/2" PEX (blue) pipe through hole from propane cabinet and into storage bay
  • Route PEX pipe to mid point of width of storage bay
  • Cut existing hot water line and added brass tee
  • Added short length of PEX pipe to common port on Tee and added ball valve to it
  • Connected new PEX (blue) pipe run to ball valve
  • Fastened new PEX run to ceiling of hidden area in storage bay (near front wall) using tie-wraps with screw holes
  • In propane cabinet, added Plastic Insulated Stud Suspension Clamp around PEX where it penetrated the wall. This was my method of adding a grommet to prevent abrasion to the PEX by the metal
  • In the propane cabinet, cut PEX to length and installed Washing Machine Angle valve to PEX
  • Using a small scrap of black 1/2" HDPE as a spacer, screwed valve to brace near ceiling of propane bay
  • Modified plastic shoe box by cutting out a large rectangle from one narrow end
  • Screwed plastic shoe box to end wall of propane cabinet south of propane tank
  • Using silicone rubber (used white as I was out of clear) - glued lid onto plastic show box
  • Attached Quick Disconnect to valve (hose bib) and Pocket Hose
  • Attached Pocket Hose to valve using Quick Disconnect
  • Opened ball valve where I tapped hot water line
  • Opened washing machine valve (hose bib)
  • Opened nozzle on end of Pocket Hose
  • Shot narrow stream of water onto neighbors house
  • Allowing silicone rubber to cure, then will place hose back into plastic shoe box using large hole cut into top end
Door Side Hose Bib - Completed Project.jpg Door Side Hose Bib - Pocket Hose Storage Box.jpg Door Side Hose Bib - Valve installed - 2.jpg Door Side Hose Bib - Valve installed.jpg Door Side Hose Bib - Tee and Valve.jpg Door Side Hose Bib - Penetration into propane cabinet - 2.jpg

jbeletti

Told ya! The only thing we changed was to build up a small ledge on the rig's propane tank platform, to mimic the height of the little green feet they give you. Our green feet continually fell off the tank while trying to load a full tank into the compartment. (These feet are to raise the tank and give enough clearance away from the metal base for the sender to operate correctly.) I believe they now ship with metal feet that stay attached to the tank much better.

We've had to replace the batteries in the sensors each year, but the Tank Check product is extremely helpful if you're going through propane quickly in the winter. The app now sends you messages when a tank is getting low. You'll know exactly when you need to get propane!!!

Erika - I had heard of this product before but you were the first to give me a testimonial and probably the first chapter to get a kit to give away. Glad I finally got around to installing it. I sent Reese a thank you and full install details.

Mrsfish

GOAL
PROGRESS

5-July-2018
  • Reinstalled both tanks
View attachment 58428 View attachment 58427 View attachment 58429 View attachment 58430

We have had this for a month now ( thanks John MacVie) and love the convenience of this. Did not bother with setting up the Bluetooth as the dual monitor is so easy to see. So far, this is a 5 ⭐️

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Jim I have been using Mopeka for about a year now and love it. The green spacers fell off on mine the first time I refilled a tank. I used my favorite repair item, duct tape. One application and they are still in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jbeletti

We have had this for a month now ( thanks John MacVie) and love the convenience of this. Did not bother with setting up the Bluetooth as the dual monitor is so easy to see. So far, this is a 5 ⭐️

Good to hear Ann!

Jim I have been using Mopeka for about a year now and love it. The green spacers fell off on mine the first time I refilled a tank. I used my favorite repair item, duct tape. One application and they are still in place.

When mine fall off, I'll use my "go to" - silicone rubber :) Add a dab to each and reinstall them :)

Happy hear you like it too. I've just asked Mopeka if they'd be interested in becoming a Heartland Owners Club Vendor Partner in a larger way than they are supporting us now. We'll see :)

TravelTiger

Good to hear Ann!

When mine fall off, I'll use my "go to" - silicone rubber :) Add a dab to each and reinstall them :)

Happy hear you like it too. I've just asked Mopeka if they'd be interested in becoming a Heartland Owners Club Vendor Partner in a larger way than they are supporting us now. We'll see :)

Yay! Hope they do!

jbeletti

Jim,

I like your mods to the camper. Keep up the awesome work.

Thanks Dave. I had a helper staying on our RV pad or I wouldn’t have gotten so much done. We did a fair amount of stuff on Ken and Kathy’s coach too.

Bones

Thanks Dave. I had a helper staying on our RV pad or I wouldn’t have gotten so much done. We did a fair amount of stuff on Ken and Kathy’s coach too.

It's always better with a helper. I'm on my own with all of my projects including the house ones.

jbeletti

It's always better with a helper. I'm on my own with all of my projects including the house ones.
I agree. Working alone has it's benefits, until you're alone in the attic and need 1 more part, or tool.

I'm lucky in that Gregg W lives nearby and is always there for me when I need a hand. I do my best to reciprocate. We have his Cheap Heat partially installed, waiting on a plenum. And the other day we installed a 50 amp outlet on the side of his garage.

Then, often times, we have someone staying on our RV pad. If they're here for more than a day, they usually get conscripted into a project. And I enjoy doing projects and repairs on their RV too.

TravelTiger

Jim, careful, you may have just invited a lot of folks to come stay with you! ;)

Jeff_Nora_Hanna

Florida Chapter Leaders
I like all that you have done to your rig. Now that our home remodeling is beginning to slow down, it will never ever be complete, I want to start on our LM. In your list of mods did you install a See-Level tank monitoring kit? In the meantime, with hammer and wrecking bar, I'm heading out the back door to contemplate where to start first.

danemayer

I like all that you have done to your rig. Now that our home remodeling is beginning to slow down, it will never ever be complete, I want to start on our LM. In your list of mods did you install a See-Level tank monitoring kit? In the meantime, with hammer and wrecking bar, I'm heading out the back door to contemplate where to start first.
In addition to Jim's many mods, Jesstalkn has quite a long list. The index is here. Scroll down the page to see everything.