2008 Southwest Regional (Houston, TX) Spring Rally - Being Planned...

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Lefty, you are exactly right about the freeways around Houston. Many people have worked their entire careers on just one freeway. I-45 has only been without a construction project once in it's entire history! I call I-10 the orange barrel highway....

Bob, I've never heard of sweet potato pone, but it sounds good. Looking forward to trying it.

We're coming in on Thursday night, but have to be back at work on Monday.

We play train, but its been awhile since we did.

dodge2500

I'm sorry to inform everyone Larry and Celia are going to have to cancel. I hope everyone has a good time. Hopefully we will be there in the fall.

jayc

Larry and Celia,
We're sorry you can't make it but we'll hold a site for you in the fall.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have never traveled through the Houston area. I will be coming from Schulenburg to Rayford Crossing. How and what do they charge for a 5th wheel. I use to travel down the Dallas Tollways, but I had one of the toll keys. There should be no problem pulling the 5er through any of the gates?

Dallas also has the method of charging by reading your license plate and sending you a bill at the end of the month.

I tried to get around Houston earlier and went down 1960 and 6. Bad move, so I guess the best way might be the tollway.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
TX BobCat,

The toll will be 6 bucks...I'm not sure what the rates on the Sam Houston Toll Road is now. But, I know for a fact, they ain't reduced the prices. Coming from Shulenburg, you will hit two toll plazas...the one before 290 and just before IH 45.
Stay in the right hand lane and go to the most right toll booth...those are the ones that will take trucks and trailers. These are manned 24 hours a day and make change. The last time I was there the rate was a $1 for a car and and additional $1 per axle for towed vehicles.

jayc

Hey Bob,
Here's a link to the Harris County Toll Road Authority: https://www.hctra.org/

It looks like they have different prices for each toll booth, and I've had an EZ Tag for so long, I don't even look at the prices any more. The good thing about having the EZ Tag is that it's good anywhere in Texas. It's so much quicker to just drive through with the tag than having to stop and sit in line to pay a toll.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
The rates sure ain't dropped any, that's for sure. The plazas that are in bold black...and the other tollbooths are for exits between plazas. If they are coming in from IH-10 they are still gonna hit two major toll plazas and it look like it's gonna be $4 per toll plaza for 4 axles total.

Just remember to watch the major plazas and go thru where the big trucks do...some of those passthroughs are for cars only...

TexYa

QUESTION about the 2008 Southwest Regional (Houston, TX) Spring Rally

Hi,
I guess I missed it where to find out what the is 2008 Southwest Regional (Houston, TX) Spring Rally is, although I saw where and when.

Help, can someone tell a newbie what goes on at these rallies????

Cary & Emmett Hall
Houston, Texas

2009 Sundance 5th Wheel
and a new Dodge Diesel to match!

osims

bsims
Tex Ya - There will be about twenty other couples there that are all Heartland owners visiting and sharing camping stories, discussing all aspects of Heartland products. We will have a potluck dinner saturday night and probably a small campfire to sit around. We really enjoyed the last rally and meet some great people with similar intrest.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
OK guys.. I am so ready for this rally.

We left Seguin yesterday and are at Schulenburg RV Park until Tursday. Then we are going to stay at Steven F. Austin State Park until about the 15 or 16. We have reservations at Rayford starting on the 17th but if they have room for us we will most likely try to arrive early.

Is there going to be an enclosed building for us to gather in to swap lies and play mexican train??

BTW.. Does anyone have a set of Mexican Train Dominos??

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Hay TexYa.. If you just want to chill out and have a great time attend a rally. If nothing more you will meet some really nice people.

jayc

Tex-ya, we're going to have a very laid-back good time this rally weekend. Just a bunch of Heartland owners getting together in a great park, having fun. Come on down, we've still got spaces.....

Bob, we're planning to bring the trailer in on Thursday night after work. We Could be persuaded to come up on Wednesday night, but I'd have to return for work on Thursday. If you can come in sooner, let me know and we'll try to come up earlier.

TexYa

Hi,
Since we are new owners of a Heartland 5th wheel and new on this site...
I'm still trying to find out what a rally is??? Can someone fill us in a little bit?
Thanks,
Cary & Emmett
Houston, TX
2008 Dodge 2500 HD Cummings Diesel
2009 Sundance 5th wheel to match!

jpmorgan37

Cary & Emmett;

For this rally, read post #40, 71 & 73. For a overall view of what a rally is, go to this site. Rally Definition Rally's can be as large as 5000+ RV's or as small as 5 RV's. The bottom line is a group of RV'er get together to eat, share stories, eat, play games, eat, have fun and laugh at each other, and by the way, did I mention that sometimes they eat.

Hope this helps.

John

TexYa

Hi John,
Thanks for your quick reply!!! MY husband LOVES to eat and I love to play games, so I guess we would fit right in...

I'm not sure we could both get off work with such short notice but maybe we could come for awhile Friday evening, then spend Sat night and Sunday. I'll check it out with him because this sounds like fun!
Thanks,
Cary & Emmett
Houston, TX
2008 Dodge 2500 HD Cummings Diesel
2009 Sundance 3300SK - 5th wheel to match!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
TexYa
That is about normal for most people that are working. Make reservations, come down Friday night, stay Saturday and leave Sunday afternoon with enough time to get home and get ready for work on Monday.

Now some of us old codgers, we are retired and are just looking for places to go so we can spin some yarns and eat and play games. We get there as soon as possible and stay until everyone is gone so we can tell as many lies as possible. If everyone is gone we walk up and down the roads looking for any unsuspecting person sitting out side. That can make us stay another day. LOL...

Isn't that right Jayc !!!..
We plan on arriving on Wednesday if they have room for us that soon.
I am ordering a set of Mexican Train Dominos tomorrow and have them sent to Rayford Crossing. We need to have a good day of dominos so we can stay up most of the night..

Lookin forward to meeting you all.
Jayc.. Do you have badges for all of us? I am so old now that I have trouble remembering names. All they have to do is remember mine.. I have to remember everyone elses.

TexYa

2008 Southwest Regional (Houston, TX) Spring Rally

Hi,
You guys talked us into attending..... I tried to call the resort today but didn't get them. I'll call again in the morning. Sooooo, add us to the list!!!
You'll know us when you see us, we'll be the new ones TRYING to get set up. :D

See ya Friday night, April 18th (and we'll stay till Monday check-out).

TXBobcat

Fulltime
TexYa
Don't worry.. when you pull in I will be there with my camcorder and sell you the images for a price.. LOL...

When I towed my first 5er to a rally south of Fort Worth a bunch of friends set up chairs around my site and watched me park the 5er..
It was a pull through.. I played around and kept moving a little up and back and over just to give them something to talk about. Before I left our house I had downloaded the music from Apocalypse Now. The one when they were flying the helos.. I played it real loud on the raido in the truck as I pulled into the area of our site...

We have fun.. If your going to be near Kerrville in February, we have a Sweetheart Rally at the Buckhorn RV Resort on the Valentines Weekend. Lots of good people and fun. Anyone is welcome.

jayc

Cary and Emett,
I can just add you to our list, then when you get to the park, just tell them you're with the Heartland rally or you can go ahead and call and make a reservation on your own, but again, tell them you're with the rally so you get the rally rate and will be placed in our group.

Bob, we'll see you on Thursday evening.