2011 Landmark Grand Canyon Demo Coach

beardedone

Beardedone
Thank you Jim. That is a very interesting design and I am going to look at that one as well as the Standen's system. Something like that should last a lifetime and take a lot concern out of the suspension issue.

SilverRhino

I agree with Alan...if I do ever have suspension issues I would be very interested in their product as a replacement. Hopefully I will not have to make that decision for many miles to come. ;)

4ever

Jim,

Thanks for the info and the pics of the new Landmark. I showed them to DW and now she wants one. Our unit is not even one year old and we are both drooling over that new unit. It is fantastic. Really like all the extras like the suspension.

Ted

jbeletti

No misunderstanding Duane. While I was floating like a butterfly, I was skirting the issue altogether :angel:

With some toys - I guess I just don't share well. No cookies for me!

Jim

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Jim,

Thanks for the info and the pics of the new Landmark. I showed them to DW and now she wants one. Our unit is not even one year old and we are both drooling over that new unit. It is fantastic. Really like all the extras like the suspension.

Ted

Don't I know it...just spent the past weekend really wanting one, then talking myself out of it so we can stop working in the not too distant future...bummer...:eek: Oh well, hope they're still making them just as nice in about six years....or maybe even better! :)

SilverRhino

Jim;

Now that you have us all drooling over the air ride suspension....where did they install the compressor / gauge / controls in your unit??

jbeletti

Hi Randy,

I am headed to TX this Saturday. When I get there and get the unit cleaned, I'll be taking a lot more pictures, including detailed pictures of this suspension that has everyone intrigued :)

Here's what I can tell you about it though:

COMPRESSOR
It's a Viair unit that has a regulator with a low and high limit on it. It is mounted in the front-most storage compartment on the door side, up high, yet underneath the hydraulic pump/reservoir. There is a 12 volt DC power toggle switch at the compressor so I can turn it off in the event of an air leak that would call for air and make the compressor run continuously.

TANK
The air storage tank is mounted to the underside of the coach, up tight against the underbelly, side to side, between the 2 axles. It looks to be maybe 5 gallons. I believe I was told it can refill the air bags twice.

ACCESSORY AIR
There is a female air coupling under the door-side frame rail, just forward of the steps. You can use this for two things. First, you can air up tires etc. S econd, you can use it to add air into the air system in the event of a compressor failure on the road.

BAGS
There is 1 at each tire position for 4 total. They are Firestone. Each has a rubber stop or overload bumper in them so the unit can ride, in a failure mode, without air in the bag(s).

SHOCKS
There is 1 at each tire position for 4 total. They are Gabriel and appear to be pretty heavy-duty. I assume they are to control/dampen recoil.

AIR CONTROLS
Each side of the coach has 2 small red-handle valves, side-by-side, just under the frame rail. The front-most valve isolates the front bag on that side. The rear-most valve isolates the rear bag on that side. Same deal for the other side of the coach. So 4 of these air bag isolation valves in total.

On the off-door-side, behind the sewer discharge and ahead of the front-most axle, there is an air-gauge and a 3-way ball-valve. In the normal position, the air system is connected to the bags, to the tank and to the pump. In the dump position, the air is dumped out of the bags only, but not the tank. And the pump does not run, as the tank is not calling for air as it is isolated in the dump mode.

OPERATION
In the normal operation mode, the compressor has charged the tank which has filled the bags. There is a level gauge of some sort on the rear axle, on the door-side, not unlike the system on the Link Mfg. air ride system on my truck. This controls how much air goes into the bags based on a predetermined level ride height (I guess). In the normal mode, the 3-way ball-valve remains in the normal position and the DC power switch to the compressor remains on.

When I setup at a campground, since I have the Lippert Electronic Leveling system (4 points hydraulic plus 2 points electric for stabilization), I unhitch and pull the truck away. I then rotate the 3-way ball-valve to the dump position. The air immediately dumps out of all 4 air bags and the coach drops down in the rear by 3 to 4 inches from its normal ride height. I then hit the Auto-Level button on the leveling system and it does its thing. Done :)

When I hitch back up, I raise the leveling and stabilizing legs to their stowed position, raise the front landing gear to the hitch height, back into the hitch and complete hitching per normal. I rotate the 3-way ball-valve to the normal position. The bags fill from the tank and the coach immediately raises to a level ride height. The compressor may or may not come on, depending on whether the tank requires air, based on the pressure as read by the regulator at the compressor output.

I type this like I am an expert at this. I AM NOT. I have done this once. Pretty good at the theoretical though :) I have a good set of written instruction on the Lippert leveling system. Lippert showed me how to run the system once. The guy from Trailer Flex showed me how to use the system once. With each, I asked a lot of questions and took a lot of mental notes :eek:

Experience and written procedures after several cycles will be my best teacher and going-forward process.

Pictures in a couple weeks - I promise!

Jim

SilverRhino

Thanks For the Information

Jim;

Thanks for the information...Sure wish we were going to be joining you guys in Kerrville. Due to some medical issues and DWs work schedule, we will not be able to make the trip.

I'm sure we'll all be waiting for further pictures of your rig!

Travel Safe!

CrazyScotsman

Nice Jack. I dream about a new M2 Sport Chassis. I am just shy of $135,000 for it though :eek:

I have a real nice looking Volvo 780 you could buy Jim. Only problem with it is you would spend more time in a shop than going down the road.:mad:
Yep it's in the shop yet again.:mad: Not bad I got 2 weeks running before it let me down again.

porthole

Retired
So if you buy a Volvo you should look for one with the Cummins?

I have no idea how it is with vehicles but with some of the things I saw with Volvo marine diesels I would never buy a boat with volvo in it.

Parts took forever to get, were very expensive and at the time there was only one dealer in all of south Jersey. Take a guess how that panned out for boaters.

CrazyScotsman

Duane, certainly go with the Cummins in a Volvo.
The same engine as I have, is bullet proof in Europe, but by the time thay add all the junk that the US requires it ruins the engine.
Yes Volvo parts are expensive.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I just found a picture of Jim's new 5th wheel! Looks great Jim.

Attachments

• trailer2.JPG
    trailer2.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 82

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I have a real nice looking Volvo 780 you could buy Jim. Only problem with it is you would spend more time in a shop than going down the road.:mad:
Yep it's in the shop yet again.:mad: Not bad I got 2 weeks running before it let me down again.

Ohhhhhhhh Noooooooooo. Sorry to hear that.

Ya need to get an old truck with a Mechanical engine. Something you can patch up with wire and duct tape......

Hmmmmm..... Speaking of duct tape:D My plastic radiator expansion tank cracked at a return hose fitting a few days ago. Grabbed a can of brake clean and a can of spray on duct tape and patched it up until I can find another. Filled my water jugs and poured the coal to it through grants pass over the grapevine:eek:. Stuff works good.

skh

Hello Jim,
Am getting ready to order a Grand Canyon and am wondering what comments you have to make at this point now that you've been in it awhile? What do you think of the self leveling system as that is one thing I am undecided about? Also they tell me the majority are ordering Godiva interior to get the leather couch but I don't know that I want all leather furniture. What do you think? What interior decor is your demo as I couldn't tell for sure from the pic's? Sorry for all the questions, looks like the last entry is 3 weeks ago so unsure of your status now, I just joined the forum.

jimtoo

Hi skh,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help and share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure Jim B will be on soon and see your question. He reads everypost made, sometimes can't respond right away, but he will as soon as he can. I do know he likes the self leveling system... he just gave me his old level, said he didn't need it any more.

Enjoy the forum and stay tuned.

Jim M

jbeletti

Hello Jim,
Am getting ready to order a Grand Canyon and am wondering what comments you have to make at this point now that you've been in it awhile? What do you think of the self leveling system as that is one thing I am undecided about? Also they tell me the majority are ordering Godiva interior to get the leather couch but I don't know that I want all leather furniture. What do you think? What interior decor is your demo as I couldn't tell for sure from the pic's? Sorry for all the questions, looks like the last entry is 3 weeks ago so unsure of your status now, I just joined the forum.

skh,

First, let me say that "I LOVE IT"! The Grand Canyon is an awesome floor plan and I really like all the storage in it.

For me, the leveling system is a "gotta have" item. I used the system last season on my previous coach and LOVED it. No more carrying long boards around or getting out all the lego blocks etc. Unhitch - hit the Auto-Level button and walk away. If your budget can take the hit - get it.

We are not leather furniture people. Leather only on the car seats. We like the warmer feel of cloth. That said, I love the look of the leather furniture in our units. As for Godiva, it's very nice, but I wanted something less dark and I just came out of two seasons in a coach with Harvest (golds/browns) - so I wanted something different and went with Slate. We like it. If you want to chat by phone, PM or email me your phone number and I can give you more feedback based on my experience in the unit.

Also consider calling Kevin Finn at the plant (574-266-3786). He's the Brand Manager for LM/BH and can really help you decide too. Plus he knows what most people order - where I will not know that sort of thing.

Jim