2013 Dodge mega cab / 2014 cyclone 3110 toy hauler too high in front ??????

porthole

Retired
What's WRT ? Water tank is full. Not into bricks,but will be adding a 35 gallon fuel tank. Looked at that Mor Ryde on line. Boy that video shows our axles just taken a beating ! But from what they say it gives you up to 4'' of leaf spring travel not 4'' of lift. I was on line earlier and found a web site with lift blocks. That will change my garage ramp door angle so no more than 2-3". Anybody get rid of the hitch and go goose neck ? That may fix everything. Stock tailgate,bed rail problems, height adjustment ,Mike

The MOR/ryde IS has approximately 5" of travel when set up. 2.5 each way.

The lift comes from the sub frame that is built to allow the IS installation. The IS cannot be installed on the trailer frame directly, would tear it apart. Don't forget, the conventional axles are tied together. The IS really is independent, each wheel gets it's own spindle and suspension

The subframe is custom built to each trailer. And when built is matched to your truck.

Typically they start out with a 2" sub frame. But, if 4" will level you trailer, then 4" you get.

Cjackg

Reading this thread over the last few weeks worried me a lot in planning to pick up our new 3110.

We picked up the 3110 at Big Daddy RVs in London KY last week and after we got through the PDI we finally hooked up to our Silverado with CURT Q24 hitch. I had inflated the AirLift airbags to about 35 psi and had the CURT set at the highest install position.

When everything settled down we checked it over and did some measurements... the 3110 was just slightly high in the front, less than 3 inches, and I have lots of adjustments to even things up. We soon changed out the 16" tires for 17.5s and have not had a chance to check it again. Here's a pic of the Silverado with the 3110, just barely nose high... what a relief!
//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29841&d=1400504649

Cjackg

So I hooked it up today, and parked on fairly level ground. I am now just 4'' higher in the front than the back. I have 7-1/2" of bed rail to 5th wheel body clearance. But it looks like the pin box to bed rail clearance is awfully close on level ground when turning. Forget about using my slide hitch with the tailgate. So I fixed one thing and screwed up 3 others. No Tailgate, no nice pin box cover, loss of slider use. I'm starting to think leaf spring blocks maybe 2-3'' and new u-bolts. Mike
I know this is an old thread and not sure if anything was resolved but I am still interested and found this source for Spring Lift blocks that could be used to make a slight adjustment in trailer height. Yes, I am aware that lifting a trailer very much is considered risky, but maybe 1" or 2" could work ?

http://www.trailerblocks.com/products/lift-lowering-blocks-1-3-4-wide-spring

gtsum2

Anyone found a fix to this? I have a 2014 ram 3500 mega and been looking at cyclones but am worried about nose high issues

johnpsz

Ok my ram is an 07, but it is lifted and has that same bed height as the newer rams. For me I installed the correct track 2 and got 2" lift from those. Yes, I had the factory installed correct track, but put these on for the lift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Cjackg

Ok my ram is an 07, but it is lifted and has that same bed height as the newer rams. For me I installed the correct track 2 and got 2" lift from those. Yes, I had the factory installed correct track, but put these on for the lift.
I see the Lippert Correct Track kit is widely available now, even through Amazon.com. Did you install it yourself?

Using that kit to achieve 2" lift of the trailer seems similar to using longer spring shackles. I wonder if there is much difference in suspension handling using this approach vs 2" Spring Lift Blocks...

Did you notice any difference in handling after installing the Lippert Kit? Did you get an overall trailer height measurement before and after?

johnpsz

I see the Lippert Correct Track kit is widely available now, even through Amazon.com. Did you install it yourself?

Using that kit to achieve 2" lift of the trailer seems similar to using longer spring shackles. I wonder if there is much difference in suspension handling using this approach vs 2" Spring Lift Blocks...

Did you notice any difference in handling after installing the Lippert Kit? Did you get an overall trailer height measurement before and after?
I had it installed prior to taking delivery of mine, my dealer did the install based on my request from taking measurements prior to buying it. so I have no real before/after comparing. I also have a mid profile Elkridge, so I was good on height clearances, still need to get a true height measurement though just to know where it stands.

Cjackg

Anyone found a fix to this? I have a 2014 ram 3500 mega and been looking at cyclones but am worried about nose high issues
I dont think I would worry about a couple of inches higher in the front as long as I had extra high rated tires but more than that could be a concern.

There are several ways to lift the Cyclone a bit to level things up with a taller late model 4x4 truck (due to higher bed sides).

For a few hundred $ you can lift the trailer a couple of inches with spring spacer blocks (see above post), or by adding the Lippert Correct Track KIt with 2" brackets. Both of these techniques may change the geometry of the trailer suspension and could affect the lateral strength of the original components. Effect on suspension & handling, under either approach, is hard to pin down....a matter of continuing discussion...

For a more major investment (and a trip to Indiana), you can upgrade to MorRyde's Independent Suspension (IS) and have the trailer height set as needed when they install the new subframe to mount the IS. This approach offers major improvement in the suspension & handling but involves a lot more $$$.

Any of these approaches will increase the overall height of the trailer and reduce overhead clearance by the same amount...

Interested to hear if anyone has come up with other approaches to deal with this issue on a Cyclone.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Springs and shackles are already the weak link in the suspension. I would be curious as to how strong everything is with extra 2" the correct track adds when subjected to lateral loads when cornering.

MOR/ryde could raise your suspension and keep the stock, normal length shackle 2"-4" tubing welded to the frame with bracing and reinstall the original parts.

Although, adding IS on top of that work really wouldn't be that much more. IS gets expensive when you add the disc brakes :cool:

gtsum2

I still say it is a sad state of affairs when a new fifth wheel and a new truck cant get leveled out (at least within reason)...when I ordered my 2014 Ram 3500 Mega this thought never even crossed my mind, but the issue seems to be popping up more and more.

danemayer

I still say it is a sad state of affairs when a new fifth wheel and a new truck cant get leveled out (at least within reason)...when I ordered my 2014 Ram 3500 Mega this thought never even crossed my mind, but the issue seems to be popping up more and more.
It's a nasty surprise for sure. I'm not sure of the cause, but I do wonder about choice of tires and wheels. When shopping for a new Dodge, we went with the crewcab longbed dually. I measured height of the bed and saw it was 3" higher than our GMC was. That was on a truck with 17" tires/wheels. I was already concerned about the bed height and didn't want larger tires/wheels to add to the concern. Turned out our Landmark is riding pretty level because the dually settles under the weight of the pin - apparently more than the GMC SRW did.

gtsum2

It's a nasty surprise for sure. I'm not sure of the cause, but I do wonder about choice of tires and wheels. When shopping for a new Dodge, we went with the crewcab longbed dually. I measured height of the bed and saw it was 3" higher than our GMC was. That was on a truck with 17" tires/wheels. I was already concerned about the bed height and didn't want larger tires/wheels to add to the concern. Turned out our Landmark is riding pretty level because the dually settles under the weight of the pin - apparently more than the GMC SRW did.

My SRW has 20 inch wheels on it. Top of my bed in the back measures about 59 inches high if I recall. I hooked up to a lite weight jayco awhile back and my truck hardly settled...the fifth was a good several inches higher in the front and I didnt have but 4-5 inches bedrail clearance. I then backed under a Grand Designs (12k empty weight) and it settled it nicely and it was about perfectly level. I am hoping I dont have an issue with a Cyclone or RW TH as that is what I am looking at hard now

porthole

Retired
Not just the suspension height. For some reasons the manufacturers decided to raise the bed rail heights as well. My 2006 GMC had side heights that were 3-4" lower then the current crop that was availbe in late 2010 when I bought the F-350.

The height of the Ford F-350 DRW was one of the contributing "buy" points.