2019 - Goshen Rally - Discussion Thread

BarbandFrank

I was able to successfully register for the rally - thanks for all of the great information provided in advance - it made the process very easy.

During registration I thought I read that an email would be sent confirming the registration. Is that correct? If so, I would like you to know that I haven’t received the confirmation.

jbeletti

I was able to successfully register for the rally - thanks for all of the great information provided in advance - it made the process very easy.

During registration I thought I read that an email would be sent confirming the registration. Is that correct? If so, I would like you to know that I haven’t received the confirmation.

Yes, a confirmation email should be sent. Did you receive the Invitation email 1 week ago. Do you have a yahoo.com or verizon.net address?

BarbandFrank

Yes, a confirmation email should be sent. Did you receive the Invitation email 1 week ago. Do you have a yahoo.com or verizon.net address?

I did not receive the invitation email. My email is an sbcglobal.net account - not sure if that is a Yahoo account. I know it is not a Verizon account.

jbeletti

For those that did not receive an email confirmation of their rally registration, we've generated a generic version of this email and added it via link near the bottom of post #1 of the Registration thread - follow this link to that post.

jbeletti

I did not receive the invitation email. My email is an sbcglobal.net account - not sure if that is a Yahoo account. I know it is not a Verizon account.

Yes, sbcglobal and yahoo are the same. Sorry, they just don't seem to care for email coming from our mailserver.

pegmikef

I want to take a minute to give my profound thanks to Jim Beletti, Julie, and the myriad of other folks who plan, organize, and implement everything required to put on the national rally at Goshen. Judging by the excellent products of their combined efforts, I know that this must be a huge planning and organizational task. I have only been to three national rallies (one in Las Vegas) and each one seems a little better than the previous one. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to do this as we all really appreciate it.

Speaking of getting better, I think this year's registration process was the best so far. I would be surprised if it took me three minutes to register and most of that time was entering the payment data. Thanks again and we are looking forward to another great rally!

jbeletti

I want to take a minute to give my profound thanks to Jim Beletti, Julie, and the myriad of other folks who plan, organize, and implement everything required to put on the national rally at Goshen. Judging by the excellent products of their combined efforts, I know that this must be a huge planning and organizational task. I have only been to three national rallies (one in Las Vegas) and each one seems a little better than the previous one. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to do this as we all really appreciate it.

Speaking of getting better, I think this year's registration process was the best so far. I would be surprised if it took me three minutes to register and most of that time was entering the payment data. Thanks again and we are looking forward to another great rally!

Mike and Peg - thank you for the kind words. I'm also pleased to hear you say this was the easiest one to register for. Each year, we learn and hopefully do a better job of programming the site and getting copious amounts of information posted on the forum, emailed, linked on Facebook etc.

This all said, Julie took a number of unsavory emails and calls from people really upset with the process. Many of these were from first-time Goshen rally attendees who were using the registration process for the first time. And some were from people who had attempted or started to register prior to noon and kept the old version of the registration page in their browser cache. When the restrictions were removed, their version was still the version requiring email validation. This frustration is quite understandable - yet, there is only so much we can anticipate and do.

Planning something like this takes a couple thousand hours. Julie and I split the process up into many work items, then split that between us. Then of course, once we get on-site, much more work by not only us, but SO many volunteer coordinators. In the end, it's all worth the effort.

See you in Goshen!

jbeletti

The registration was easy but got frustrated when I missed checking a box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie - that's SO easy to do. The various times I tested the form, I too forgot to check boxes!

Julie and I have already discussed how to handle this next time:
1. Create a single document with all the rally Terms and Conditions
2. Post that document on the forum in its own thread within the rally forum
3. Then, in the Rally Invitation Email, include the document either as an attachment or link
4. Then in the actual registration process, include all the Terms and Conditions near the beginning of the process with a single check box

In this manner, we'll expose them to as many people as possible, as many times as possible, in as many places as we can. So when it comes time to register, they can be quickly reviewed and acknowledged near the beginning of the process so the rest of the registration process can continue with no other Terms and Conditions to accept along the way.

See - we listen :)

ctuna0203

Even though you try to simplify and make things easier you will still have 10 % who will still have a hard time understanding. I’m glad you listen because that is what great leaders do. Thanks Jim and Julie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

is there any directions on where to enter for where you are parking at.

Yes! Enter at Gate 1, follow the gravel interior road to Gate A where the Parking/Check-in team will be staged to greet you.

See the Rally Confirmation Email link near the bottom of this post. Once you open the Rally Confirmation email PDF, scroll down a bit and there will be information on this and a Google Map link.

CoveredWagon

This all said, Julie took a number of unsavory emails and calls from people really upset with the process. Many of these were from first-time Goshen rally attendees who were using the registration process for the first time.

First timer here here as well. “It was so easy even a caveman could have done it “. That said I’d even had gotten my first choice if my laptop hadn’t crashed. Second try we got through and got our second choice. I’m a person who believes every time you see a bunch of meaningless words (legalese) there’s gonna be a check box at the end of it, so I look.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

First timer here here as well. “It was so easy even a caveman could have done it “. That said I’d even had gotten my first choice if my laptop hadn’t crashed. Second try we got through and got our second choice. I’m a person who believes every time you see a bunch of meaningless words (legalese) there’s gonna be a check box at the end of it, so I look.

Legalese - that's a good one :) We just want attendees to be crystal clear as to policies and other things - hence the check box (Yes! I read it understand it and agree to it!) :)

So the "goal" for 2021 is a single check box acknowledging and agreeing to them all at once. And an even better advanced advertisement of the terms and conditions so attendees have more time to read and absorb them and also ask questions.

Onward and upward!

Question for JB.
I selected RR-325 for the 2017 rally and this time a general 308-326.
Why were we not able to sign up for specific sites like in the past?
Why the change?

Hockster

jbeletti

Question for JB.
I selected RR-325 for the 2017 rally and this time a general 308-326.
Why were we not able to sign up for specific sites like in the past?
Why the change?

Hockster

Gary - I believe we changed Ring Road to an Area vs specific site selection for 2019. Likewise, in 2021, the plan is to make the NW camping section, an Area vs specific site selection.

When you check-in, especially if you arrive early on June 3, make your preference known to the check-in team and best efforts will be made to site you. That said, by using an Area siting model, this gives the parking team the greatest flexibility to site rigs into best-fit sites and not lose any camping sites. By not losing any, we end up with the maximum number of FHU sites for attendees.

See you in Goshen!

southernlady5464

I was registering on an iPad at 1PM EASTERN time while hubby was driving to our current stop. By the time I got to the end, after 3 attempts at getting all the boxes checked and kicked out once, there were about 57 left. We are on the Ring Road which is where we actually wanted to be.

jbeletti

I was registering on an iPad at 1PM EASTERN time while hubby was driving to our current stop. By the time I got to the end, after 3 attempts at getting all the boxes checked and kicked out once, there were about 57 left. We are on the Ring Road which is where we actually wanted to be.

Sometimes, mobile devices can be finicky for using forms and such. In 2021, we plan to use a different registration system. Perhaps it will be more mobile-friendly.

Speaking of mobile, if you haven't already done so, take the mobile rally website for a spin: www.heartlandowners.org/rally

It's not fully built out, has some old or placeholder data in it and the formatting is a bit wonky - but by rally time, it should be a really nice on-site tool to use to know what's going on and where.