3160 EL PDI Results

SeattleLion

We had a few issues that forced us to leave the coach at the dealer. Only one problem was serious, but the others are things that even a cursory inspection would hav revealed. Here are the most serious:

• Black tank drain valve spongy control and appears to be binding. This requires the belly pan to be dropped.
  • Bedroom door won't latch closed.
  • pantry door barely latches and is very loose in its frame.
  • auto level control panel cracked (we saw this at the Seattle RV show and the dealer ordered the replacement)
  • emergency exit window handle falling off.
  • both large slides out of alignment.
  • both axles and over half the frame unpainted. Lots of new rust. The dealer will paint.

Considering how badly built our prior TT(Kodiak) was, this is nothing. We love our 3160. The floor plan is perfect for us. It would have been perfect if we could have taken it home today.

danemayer

On the bedroom door, go to Home Depot and get an elongated striker plate. Takes 2 minutes to install and will eliminate latching problems.

SeattleLion

On the bedroom door, go to Home Depot and get an elongated striker plate. Takes 2 minutes to install and will eliminate latching problems.

is is that really my job? I spent a ton of money on a brand new Bighorn. Am I being unreasonable to expect the doors to close? I am sure that your suggestion could work. I may be funny that way, but I expect the largest purchase I have made in my life to be as perfect as possible. I certainly don't need to go to Home Depot to fix this massive investment. That is Heartland's job.

caissiel

So true, dealers and manufactures are getting lazy.
I would not think leaving my unexperienced customers do the inspection.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
is is that really my job? I spent a ton of money on a brand new Bighorn. Am I being unreasonable to expect the doors to close? I am sure that your suggestion could work. I may be funny that way, but I expect the largest purchase I have made in my life to be as perfect as possible. I certainly don't need to go to Home Depot to fix this massive investment. That is Heartland's job.

I absolutely agree with you. When we picked up our Bighorn 3670 we went over it with a fine tooth comb (we expected it to be pretty much perfect but it wasn't)...so we insisted the items be taken care of...and the dealer did just that, and then some. Most items were cosmetic but there were a few that had to do with functionality. What's the point of doing a walk-thru if your expectations are low?
Now that it is out of warranty we can go to Home Depot to take care of it if need be:)

SeattleLion

I absolutely agree with you. When we picked up our Bighorn 3670 we went over it with a fine tooth comb (we expected it to be pretty much perfect but it wasn't)...so we insisted the items be taken care of...and the dealer did just that, and then some. Most items were cosmetic but there were a few that had to do with functionality. What's the point of doing a walk-thru if your expectations are low?
Now that it is out of warranty we can go to Home Depot to take care of it if need be:)

Our dealer is great. All will be fixed. I have confidence in them.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I second that on your dealer, as they are ours too and the Service Department has always taken care of us.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Boy are you in for a treat!

Get to know your dealership well as you'll probably be there several times over the next year!

I'm still going around with my dealership trying to get things they were supposed to have fixed under warranty, and they slapped band aids on them until the warranty was up.

Of course, now they have washed their hands of my problems as they made sure I realized that my warranty was now expired the last time I was in there . . . yet they didn't fix the problems.

Once I'm done with these issues, I won't be going back to them.

Most especially the next time we upgrade our RV!

Document everything that is needed to be done with photos before and after . . . and make sure they honor the warranty!

Oh . . . if it has the TowMax Power King tires on it (aka - BlowMax) . . . replace them with good tires!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm glad you are happy with your dealership.

Our dealings with our dealership have been a 50/50 proposition . . . some good . . . some bad!

It seems that now that the warranty is up they have washed their hands of us.

SeattleLion

I've always gone with the theory that if you buy from the largest dealer around you have a better chance of getting results. Fife RV is Washington's largest RV dealer. You don't get there by giving bad service. This is our second RV from them and they continue to take very good care of us.

dcwettstein

I would expect everything to be perfect. I can't imagine how they can build a camper on a unpainted frame. They get the frame from lippert and the first thing they do is mount the tanks and axle. How can you miss it not being painted??
I have not done business with my dealer before but I have positive feelings about them. They are in a community of about 1000. I live in a town of 50000 10 miles south. If they would be not treating people well they would be out of business. Every year they sponsor a Campfest which they invite all there customers. I can't imagine them not working with their customers.

SeattleLion

I would expect everything to be perfect. I can't imagine how they can build a camper on a unpainted frame. They get the frame from lippert and the first thing they do is mount the tanks and axle. How can you miss it not being painted??
I have not done business with my dealer before but I have positive feelings about them. They are in a community of about 1000. I live in a town of 50000 10 miles south. If they would be not treating people well they would be out of business. Every year they sponsor a Campfest which they invite all there customers. I can't imagine them not working with their customers.

In fairness, the frame wasn't totally unpainted. They missed the axles and some of the center. Rust formed. It surprised our dealer too. I think that the inspection process in the plant needs some serious work. Our issues weren't subtle at all. The pantry/laundry door wouldn't latch, neither would the bedroom door. How in the world would an inspector miss that? The black tank valve was visibly off. Some of the stuff we found was clearly caused by vibration in transit (Don't start me on how engineering didn't consider avoiding things like that). In a very imperfect industry, our Bighorn still stands out as better than most. Of course, you could ask how my unit could have been in the Seattle RV show with the Western Regional Sales Manager of Landmark stationed in the coach without discovering doors wouldn't close? My wife found the pantry door issue at the show. The shower door handle was on the floor in the bathroom at the show as well. To their credit, the dealer's walk through person found a lot of this before we even got to our walk through. He wondered how his team could miss such obvious issues. He was especially surprised that the unpainted axles and part of the frame was missed by Heartland and his own team. I know why. They didn't bother to look.

I am a program manager. I know something about quality and how to get it. I also know how difficult it is to find people who have the mind set to do the kind of exhaustive inspections needed to avoid problems like mine. My previous employer figured out how to do it. They are the world's largest software company. We consistently delivered excellent code. It cost money to do this. It took a lot of management attention to get to this point. It's painfully obvious to me that the RV industry has no serious incentive to deliver with quality. If 100% of coaches require dealer work to make them deliverable to a customer, there is a serious problem. Now that isn't to say that cars and trucks are delivered completely defect free. The vast majority (over 90%) of Fords and Toyotas do reach the dealer with no remediation required. The ones that do need some work are fixed in the pre-delivery process. The customers never have to make a warranty claim. I read on the RV forums a continuous litany of "There are always a few things that you have to expect to get fixed on a new coach." Why? I hate to break it to the people who say that, but a trailer is a lot less complex to build than the TV that is pulling it. Yet, every vehicle we have purchased required absolutely no warranty work.

If anyone from Heartland (other than the obvious PR people) are reading this, you should seriously consider instituting root-cause analysis on your defects. If you do that, you can make small changes in the production line that will slash the number of warranty claims. You should also consider Lean manufacturing techniques. I saw first hand how they not only improve quality but cut costs. Warranty work is expensive. It not only costs you money, but it also erodes customer confidence in your product. While Heartland has amazingly responsive customer relations, it still has the industry quality issues. Please, no one respond with "Heartland isn't as bad as the others." Wow, what a left-handed compliment that is.

I am a happy customer for a few reasons:

1. Heartland always answers my questions and shows a real interest in me as a customer. That is wonderful! This reason alone has earned my loyalty forever.
  2. The design and material choices for my coach are clearly first rate. The only possible exceptions are the tires (Tow Max) and the locks on the basement and front compartment. I love the quality of the interior and purchased components.
  3. Customer service appears to be completely on my side.
  4. My dealer is reliable and has my best interests (not a Heartland reason, but one that makes me very happy).

I'm unhappy that such a well designed product is so poorly assembled. The problem is almost certainly in the way the production is organized. Traditionally, RV companies have function-based workstations where workers perform part of the assembly and then the coach moves to the next station. In most companies, the coach spends a predetermined time at each station (15 minutes at other companies). If, for any reason, the workers are feeling rushed to get the coach out of their area on time, quality will suffer. Failure to get the coach out will slow the entire line. That will certainly get the offending workers some unwanted attention. It's easy to see that in this model good quality is far less likely across all of the assembly stations. I get it. I also know that car companies solved this problem. They, like you, make different models on the same line. However, they have developed techniques to efficiently avoid quality problems. I've worked on some of these issues. I know they can be solved.

Sorry for the rant.

dcwettstein

I was a manufacturing engineer and a quality engineer and I know something about Quality and how to prevent problems. We were at the factory and when we were there in February there was a complete team of quality people going through every rig checking if doors closed, door alignment. scrapes scratches. smudges were taken care of. They had the fans on, TV and air on checking everything. This is why it is hard to beleive the quality is what I would call poor. I will have to go through ours with a fine tooth comb.

SeattleLion

I was a manufacturing engineer and a quality engineer and I know something about Quality and how to prevent problems. We were at the factory and when we were there in February there was a complete team of quality people going through every rig checking if doors closed, door alignment. scrapes scratches. smudges were taken care of. They had the fans on, TV and air on checking everything. This is why it is hard to beleive the quality is what I would call poor. I will have to go through ours with a fine tooth comb.

They missed a lot on our coach. Has anyone ever received a defect free coach from Heartland?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If not, I hope ours will be the first one.

To expect perfection is unrealistic and you will be disappointed. As SeattleLion said, they have to crank these suckers out. I don't think the workforce is focused on quality, it's "get it done and move it on". It's an industry-wide issue. And to compound the problem, demand is extremely high right now, highest it's been since 2008. Manufacturers are having to hire more workers to ramp up production. Are they trained properly? Are they expecting even faster production through the line? Who knows, but I can tell you "Slow down and make it right" is probably not the mantra in the factories.

I would be prepared for a few issues -- be meticulous as you want -- just know it will take time to "get it right".

Even if it was a perfect delivery, you are bound to have things come up and need fixing. We've had our coach 4 years now, and still have a running list of maintenance and little fixes, replacements, upgrades and improvement projects. We never seem to complete that list. Does this make me an unhappy camper? NO WAY. I don't let that interfere with my enjoyment of the experience of RVing.

SeattleLion

To expect perfection is unrealistic and you will be disappointed. As SeattleLion said, they have to crank these suckers out. I don't think the workforce is focused on quality, it's "get it done and move it on". It's an industry-wide issue. And to compound the problem, demand is extremely high right now, highest it's been since 2008. Manufacturers are having to hire more workers to ramp up production. Are they trained properly? Are they expecting even faster production through the line? Who knows, but I can tell you "Slow down and make it right" is probably not the mantra in the factories.

I would be prepared for a few issues -- be meticulous as you want -- just know it will take time to "get it right".

Even if it was a perfect delivery, you are bound to have things come up and need fixing. We've had our coach 4 years now, and still have a running list of maintenance and little fixes, replacements, upgrades and improvement projects. We never seem to complete that list. Does this make me an unhappy camper? NO WAY. I don't let that interfere with my enjoyment of the experience of RVing.

Sadly, I think you have it right. What concerns me is the prevailing attitude that we should expect low quality. You are right that given the current demand and overall lack of commitment to quality, we will continue to see obvious quality problems in our new coaches. Should we expect perfection? Yes. Will we get it? Not right now, but if we put enough pressure on the industry we may get much closer. I have asked the management of CW/Good Sam to consider doing an annual customer quality survey similar to the ones done by Consumer Reports. I know the idea is being presented to Marcus and the senior management team. I hope they take it on.

What that will do is expose RV manufacturers' quality to the light of day. Right now it is impossible to make an informed decision on which brand to buy based on quality. Forums like this represent a highly biased view and aren't really statistically accurate pictures of any manufacturer's quality. Certainly, Heartland isn't going to share the stats with us. I would love to know the average of how many warranty claims per delivered coach are processed. That is a very clear view of delivered product defects.

I am most certainly going to be a happy Bighorn camper as long as the slides work, I have AC, and we can enjoy our use of our trailer. My last trailer was a Kodiak, another Thor product, and it had to have the entire plumbing system replaced due to massive leaks. After buying my Bighorn, the dealer had to come to my house to fix a slide that wouldn't go in (bad weld, believe it or not) before taking it back to the dealership. The trailer was only 9 months old and had over 20 warranty fixes. Our new 3160 has only a couple of serious issues and a small bunch of fit and finish problems.

As long as we remain "happy campers" as we deal with poor manufacturing quality, there is no incentive at all for Heartland or anyone else to improve. Once we stand up and object to our over fifty-thousand-dollar investments being delivered with obvious problems, then there may be an incentive to improve.