50 AMP RV Electrical Service Discussion

Rnurse89

:confused:My husband and I paid a pretty penny for a new 2013 RW 415 in April 2012. The first trip the hydraulic system had a giant air bubble and the slides would not retract. I did call my local dealer where we purchased the RW. The slides didn't go out smoothly and they jumped as if we had a low rider RV! The dealer, WINDISH RV in Lakewood CO told me there was nothing to worry about. HaHa the laugh was on me as I was stuck with slides out and had to call roadside assist!
The next trip the Electric went dead. It was the transfer switch. Called Roadside assist again! The transfer switch blew and so did our TV, central vac and not to mention our dogs were inside in 100 degree heat! The local dealer fixed these things but when I went to check the repairs last week the transfer switch blew again and the brand new tv that they replaced the first one with started smoking! Then on top of all that, the generator didn't work. I have spoken to Heartland many times. I wanted a new unit but now I just want my money back.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Re: Lemon Road Warrior 415 I want a refund!!!

Hi Rnurse89,

Sorry you're having these problems. Repeat problems are the most aggravating. They can cause you to lose confidence in the techs and in the product. It's possible that someone else on the forum may have gone through a similar experience. If you'll provide a little additional detail, maybe another owner will have some ideas on what needs to be done.

I assume that the dealer or mobile servicer must have replaced a part and by now has the hydraulics fixed. Is that right?

From what the dealer has told you, do you think they've figured out what's causing the repeat problem with the transfer switch?

What was the generator failure?

jbeletti

Sorry to hear about your coach troubles. I understand your frustration.

I contacted the plant to check status on your coach and I was informed that "repairs have been completed and we have authorized a licensed electrician to perform an inspection".

Feel free to circle back to this thread to let us know how the inspection came out. We hope that soon you'll be back on the road.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

George & Judy, Many times we'll see a post where someone has a problem and is very unhappy about something but we never hear from them again. This may be one of those times.

sengli

Transfer switch? What exactly is that? Is it the power converter?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Transfer switch? What exactly is that? Is it the power converter?
If you have pre-wired generator set-up, the transfer switch is the device that allows the genny to supply power to the coach without back feeding power to a pedestal. It's part of the genny wiring.

Rnurse89

This isn't one of those things that you want to spend your life worrying about people! But if you all are so concerned, our Lemon Road Warrior has been at the dealer since August! The electrician came out and signed off on the 220 electrical but not on the 120 for some reason. That , I do not understand but I am trying to get some answers. Apparently the service guys at the dealer ship found yet another issue. When they ran the RV on the generator they found that the voltage regulator was over charging and thus they said they replaced it. I have no idea what this is but why do we have to keep replacing parts in a brand new unit used twice? So does the transfer switch figure in with the voltage regulator? Because the transfer switch has been replaced twice now.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

One thing I don't understand is the "sign off on the 220". You have two 120 volt circuits. There is no 240 (220) volt circuit for your camper.
So if someone has something wired for 240 then that will be a problem.
For the dealer to have your rig since August makes me think they are not able to diagnose and repair your problem.
Might be time to find someone else.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

This isn't one of those things that you want to spend your life worrying about people! But if you all are so concerned, our Lemon Road Warrior has been at the dealer since August! The electrician came out and signed off on the 220 electrical but not on the 120 for some reason. That , I do not understand but I am trying to get some answers. Apparently the service guys at the dealer ship found yet another issue. When they ran the RV on the generator they found that the voltage regulator was over charging and thus they said they replaced it. I have no idea what this is but why do we have to keep replacing parts in a brand new unit used twice? So does the transfer switch figure in with the voltage regulator? Because the transfer switch has been replaced twice now.

Rnurse89,

This is speculation, but it sounds a bit like maybe your rig was plugged into an incorrectly wired or failing power source and got a shot of 220V causing damage to a lot of things in the coach - perhaps including the transfer switch, power converter (which I suspect is what you mean by 'regulator'), TV, etc. If this is what happened, it's very possible that a damaged component escaped notice initially, leading to repeat damage to the transfer switch. Damage to the wiring where your power cord enters the coach might be a possible cause of the repeating problem.

To prevent damage from defective power pedestals, many of us use Electrical Management System/Surge Protectors.

The power converter, which converts 110V to 12V to charge the battery and help operate 12V lights and other gear in the coach, is downstream from the transfer switch. If damage to the transfer switch led to damage to the TV and vacuum, it could just as easily have damaged the power converter. But the power converter has no way to differentiate between shore power and generator power. If it's failing when on generator power, it should be failing on shore power as well. That makes me wonder what component they're talking about.

I also agree with Dave. It's concerning that someone "signed off on the 220 electrical".

I know that sometimes information is relayed through warranty coordinators or through sales people. In those cases, it's pretty easy for confusion and misstatements to enter the conversation. If you know an electrician, or someone who's more familiar with electrical issues, maybe they could accompany you to the dealer to talk directly with the tech who's been working on your rig. I think that might clear things up for you.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

220V??? Boy that will let all the smoke out of everything. I hope the OP responds back.

taken

Actually, the rig does take 220v in if a 50 amp outlet is used. The two phases are split when they hit the coach just like in a home service. Any standard 50 amp RV outlet at a campground is 220v. http://www.myrv.us/electric/

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired

But it is seen as two 110 circuits. Not one 220 as used in the home for a stove or dryer.