A/C dripping water inside camper

campfire7

We are on a week long camping trip at Oleano State Park in Florida, and the A/C started dripping water out though the bottom of the unit inside the camper, water is still dripping outside from the roof like it's suppose to, can anyone tell me what will make it leak back inside the camper?
Thanks.

Lynn1130

Is the unit frozen up? I can only imagine the humidity level in Florida so I would start with determining whether the unit is frozen.

campfire7

No the unit is not frozen, and I can't get on roof to check seal until I get home.

Last edited:

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
The A/C mounting bolts might have loosened, which will cause the water to leak between the A/C gasket and the roof. Remove the interior A/C shroud and tighten the mounting bolts to the manufacture specs.

donr827

On a trailer that I had several years ago I had the same problem, hot and humid. I went on the roof and found the drain holes were almost completely blocked with crap. They still allowed some normal drainage but some was leaking inside. Cleaned the drains and that fixed the problem.
Don

carl.swoyer

We are on a week long camping trip at Oleano State Park in Florida, and the A/C started dripping water out though the bottom of the unit inside the camper, water is still dripping outside from the roof like it's suppose to, can anyone tell me what will make it leak back inside the camper?
Thanks.
Very possible that your mixing hot and cold air. Second maybe the seal between the roof and the AC unit is not secure.
Where is the water coming in at in relation to the AC unit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jerryjay11

On a trailer that I had several years ago I had the same problem, hot and humid. I went on the roof and found the drain holes were almost completely blocked with crap. They still allowed some normal drainage but some was leaking inside. Cleaned the drains and that fixed the problem.
Don
I would go along with this as many times in the HVAC field I have had to clean the condensate drain on window AC's and RV roof AC's operate the same way. They just have a different cabinet/shroud. Also you can gain sight access to the AC roof seal by removing the interior vent panel/ceiling assembly. If you see daylight then there is your leak, but I'd still suspect the drain of the unit if it's been awhile since it has been serviced

Lou_and_Bette

Another thought, when we first got our RW, we were camping in Gulf Shores and running both A/Cs but were in and out of the rig frequently so we were leaving the door open and had the screen door shut. This allowed a lot of hot, humid air in the coach and condensation started forming on the A/C units themselves, enough to start dripping on the floor...so, in hot and humid conditions keep the rig shut up tight. DW like light so I installed plexiglass over the screen and this helped a lot.

campfire7

Ok, thanks everyone for your suggestions,I will do all of this but I think cleaning the drain maybe my fix, when I get home next week I will be able to get on top, but I will say last night I sprayed some cleaner and whipped the condenser with a brush and it hasn't leaked sense.
Thanks again

jerryjay11

You might mean evaporator as the condenser is only accessible from the roof after removing the AC shroud.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it's been hot and humid, and your fan is set on low, your coils (whatever it's name is) may be covered with ice. Increase the fan to high and the problem may solve itself. You would need to get up on the roof to actually see the ice formation. It would be readily visible through the openings in the plastic cover. This "phenomenon" was reported some years ago on the forums, as well. Changing the fan speed was the key.

ram22

If it's been hot and humid, and your fan is set on low, your coils (whatever it's name is) may be covered with ice. Increase the fan to high and the problem may solve itself. You would need to get up on the roof to actually see the ice formation. It would be readily visible through the openings in the plastic cover. This "phenomenon" was reported some years ago on the forums, as well. Changing the fan speed was the key.

Isn’t the fan inside and the ice outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Isn’t the fan inside and the ice outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but it's still responsible for moving air over the coils. Too slow and the moist air obviously condenses and freezes on the coils, blocking them. I am not an A/C tech and probably don't have all the mechanics of it down, but changing from low to high speed did the trick for me. Just looking in through the vents on the cover outside was enough to see the icing.