Added New Awning LEDs

DZarn

I plan on doing this mod as well. However I was thinking of installing them on the actual awning roll-up bar where we all hang awning lights. Any idea for that out there? Great forum!!!

sjs731

DZarn,
I thought about putting them on the roller but this way when it gets windy and I have to roll the awning up then I can still use the lights. Also you will have to put a plug at then end of the roller so as the awning rolls up you aren't trying to twist the wire. This can be a problem if you need a ladder to stand on to reach that plug. My brother wants to do his that way. He has a manual awning so he can lower it down to unplug. Also with a manual awning there isn't the ability to hide the wires on the side of the rig behind the cover in the arm mount like a power awning.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
As promised here are the lights. I used an adhesive-backed cup hook and plastic cable ties to adjust how high I wanted the lights. I use an awning hook to hang and retrieve the lights so I don't need a ladder or have to worry about whether I want the awning out or not. The hooks were placed about 2 inches below the awning. I am still tweeking how high I actually want the lights. Currently, You can still see the lights when the awning is out when the lights are hung as low as shown in these photos.

0922122224b.jpg0922122225.jpg0922122225a.jpg0922122225b.jpg0923121507.jpg0923121508.jpg

zigzag3337

Nicely done Silverado23,

since my last reply, I bought another controller to run the lights. This once does all the colors as the orginal, but it also makes the lights change with the music. Well.......that was a waste of money....lol. It does work, however since my controller is located in my basement, I would have to either add extra speakers or turn the stereo up so loud I couldn't hear myself think. Never less, I ended up reinstalling the orginal controller. Besides, the color button remote is a lot user friendlier then the 4 button remotes. IMHO.
Richard.

sjs731

Just got done adding a 16' roll of blue LED light to each side of the frame. Projects a nice blue glow under the rig. Wired them to a dimmer also. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350575720.155982.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1350575745.952312.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1350575762.706438.jpg

Steve

sjs731

New reality TELEVISION show idea!!!
Ya ready for it?

"PIMP MY ROLLIN SHACK"

Between the multicolor awning LEDs and the frame light that is about it for lights. Wait a minute .....with a little more space between axles I bet I could get 20" wheels on my rig. Ha. Ha.

Steve

zigzag3337

Y'all are cracking me up with the pimping comments. Too funny!!

I have used my lights pretty regularly since they were installed and I have about a half a dozen LEDs that bleed over a different color when lit. I'm sure it's due to them being cheap China junk, but still very impressive.

The wife and I was in Lowes this weekend and we saw LED strip lights in the Christmas section. At our store, they run $52 for 12' of lights and controller. Now these are a lot nicer then the ones I bought from EBay. They are also weatherproof, multi-color and come with a power supply so you can plug them into 110v outlet.

Definitely going to keep my eye open for these to go on clearance right after the holidays as I want 3 sets so I can change mind out.

Last edited:

danemayer

We just got our North Trail 26RLSS and I now have hubby's first project. I thank you, I don't think he will.

Hi Karen and Guy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and congratulations on your new North Trail.

So many projects - so little time. You'll find lots of ideas here on the forum to keep both of you busy.

zigzag3337

The wife and I went to an RV show recently and saw that some of the manufacturers are starting to put the LED awning lights in the awning tube. After seeing this, I really wanted to know how they powered them so you didn't have to plug and unplug them every time the awning went out. The way they did it was, there was a small hole in the hem of the awning fabric up by the awning tube and another one at the end by the camper. The LED wiring was fished through the hem, so when you roll up the awning, there was no worry about the wiring getting hung up. At the end of the awning tube, the power wire had a loop big enough that when it was rolled up, the wire wouldn't get to tight.

I wished I would've thought of this before installing them the way I did mine.

rick_debbie_gallant

I am liking the led lights for the simple reason you can run them anywhere and power them with a simple 12 volt to 110 convertor when on the road. At night with the lights running fore and aft under neat the sight is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Phatkd

I LOVE my Dometic LED light strip! What a way cool thing to have at a campground,..neighbours are not shy about coming over and checking them out. And it gives such a cool look when the while awning is "Glowing".

circusbear

Can somebody grab some pictures of how the wiring is routed and how it hooks up to the power souce. I am very interested in this mod and have already ordered the lights and controller. I think both ways of mounting the lights have pros and cons but am leaning towards mounting the lights on the awning tube. I am really curious how to run the wiring to the awning tube and how to hook it up as it will turn when the tube roles up. On the trailer end, where did you guys run the wires to hook up to power? I guess if anybody has the factory item, could you please show us how they did it.

Thanks for any assistance guys!!!!

sjs731

Circusbear, I think I covered this in another post but I put my lights on the side of our rig because in a windy situation I can roll the awning up and still use the lights. I ran the wires down the awning mount on the rig and snapped the plastic cover back over the wires. Inside I ran the wiring into the fuse panel since I had a couple open slot. This way I can run them off the battery if I want. Also the wireless controller for the multi color option got mounted in the basement since it isn't waterproof. I had to cut and splice wires to be able to do that. If you need more info PM me. My rig is in storage so more pics may not be possible for a while. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363952144.675590.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1363952180.467141.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1363952221.104807.jpg

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252

circusbear

SJS- thanks for the reply...I am torn whether to mount them as you did..or.. mount them on the awning roller. I was thinking your way originally, but then saw the OP and liked the way the light reflected onto the trailer. Was there any way you could have run the cord inside the trailer (ie through where the power cord goes for the power awning) so you dont have to hook up your extension?. I am comfortable having to plug a plug in at the roller as I can pull my awning close enough to the ground. I have not even received the lights yet but wanted to have a game plan together once they arrive.

Tumble Weed

Well, Richard and Kim I think you need more practice and a Bar BQ at my house.
Of course I'll supply all the lights wiring and food.
That way you can continue to fine tune your skills and knowledge base.
I just want you both to know I belive in you! :angel:
Let me know if this is working....
Great Job you have lots of talent.

sjs731

SJS- thanks for the reply...I am torn whether to mount them as you did..or.. mount them on the awning roller. I was thinking your way originally, but then saw the OP and liked the way the light reflected onto the trailer. Was there any way you could have run the cord inside the trailer (ie through where the power cord goes for the power awning) so you dont have to hook up your extension?. I am comfortable having to plug a plug in at the roller as I can pull my awning close enough to the ground. I have not even received the lights yet but wanted to have a game plan together once they arrive.

That is a good question. I'm not sure if I could have got the wires fished through. Also did you go with the multi color lights like I have? The reason I ask is because the remote control sensor box is not waterproof. I cut the plug off mine and splice wire in to be able to mount my sensor in the basement. One of my friend has to take his sensor off whe it rains because he didn't do any modification. He also has the 120v version and plugs his into the awning recept. I bought the 12v version.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

circusbear

SJS, Yes I ordered the same kit you did. My plan- if possible- is to mount the light strip on the actual awning tube, then run the wiring down the awning arm to the trailer. This is where I am unsure- follow the awning motor wiring into the trailer and fish it into the basement and hook everything un dowm there where it won't get wet. My trailer is about 200 miles away so I can't really dig around and see what I can find. I was looking to see if anybody else had "hard wired" theirs in so the only plug would be at the awning roller/arm connection. If I can't get the wires into the trailer for a permanant instal, I will go your route and use the extension cord with plug idea.....