Adjusting Slides + a few other comments and concerns.

xcflyn

We live full time in our 2010 - 3812 cyclone. We picked it up late last year as the new 2011 were out. Here are some of the concerns I have for my cyclone.
First off the aux fuel tank is constantly expanding and contracting which pops hard enough to scare the******out of you. Can I just leave the cap cracked to stop this or will there be a fuel evaporation issue. We don really use it other then boon docking which is going to be rare because we work camp and will only move 3 or 4 times a year.
Next, I run two roto choks (spelling) and this thing is so unstable compared to other units I have been in,seems front landing gear is not very stable on this 40+ foot unit. Would a king pin tripod support eliminate this? Others say yes but they are not in the same size/brand rig .
My big gripe is my slides in the main room (hydraulic) both sit tight on top but loose on bottom, can I adjust those nuts to push the bottom out farther ? My father did his on one of his trailers and said thats what I should do, but he is a retired farmer if you know what I am saying ? (just make it work).
I have been on other forums about this and it was suggested that the aux fuel tank is supposed to be vented-so if thats true, I guess I have a problem ?
On the slides all I get is the pdf from the leppert (spelling???) . Which shows how to adjust them but doesnt tell you of limitations or concerns when adjusting. Is there a chance I adjust the nuts out to push the bottom out and end up doing damage ? When my living room slide goes out it looks mighty shaky, top tips way down as it goes out then when the top of the slid hits the bottom push's out, but not near enough. This side is easily 3/4" off on the bottom, seal hardly even touches, no compression at all. Looks terrible, every time I look at it compared to the back door it just turns my stomach.
More comments- well the first 4 months we lived in it prior to hitting the road we liked it a lot, the slide issue bugged me but it seems worse now , probably because we stare at the things we dont like and they seem worse.
After moving 1100 miles we slide out to find the kitchen sink drain completely ripped the plumbing out because of 1). lack of decent fastening of the piping to the structure. 2). lack
of flexibility in the line the allows the movement. 3). lack of decent structure to attach to.
I corrected it after moping up a hugh mess every where.
Next problem was the bath room sink leaked all over. I took it apart to find the O-ring in the fitting in the neck to have poor seal. After much too much time messing around I pulled the restrictor out of the aerator to relieve restriction and it seals now. Not the correct fix but it worked: for now.
last complaint for today is, I can not get the black off of the sides of this, some from rubber roof but then the front is just plain streaked black from driving through dirty salted roads on the way south. We scrubbed with cleaners and no dice ?

then there is this round stain on the floor we cant get out, but Ill save that for when I can attach a picture. That one we addressed with the dealer who pretty much said we were screwed. "The whole floor will have to be replaced and it will never be right".
So we live in a $70,000 unit that has more problems then my last unit at half the cost. And of course we live in it so letting sit at a dealer for lengths of time is not really an option. And as all full timers will understand, once you have settled in a place for a few months, its not easy to just hook up and run to the local : you didnt buy it here, so we dont care : Hartland Rv dealer. I am a capable mechanic, and most repairs if not all are actually in my skill set if I can get good guidance on proper procedure and perimeters to stay with in.
But all in all- it is still a nice unit, built by humans with some human errors built into it.

hoefler

As far as the fuel tank, it is supposed to be a closed system and not free vent, DOT requirement. If you leave the cap loose, you will create a fire hazard. You should pump it dry or drain it when you don't expect to use it for awhile. Just a note, today's gasoline will start to go bad in less than 3 weeks if not stabilized.

On your slides, Are you pushing them out until the pump squeals? If not, try it. Since you are still under warranty, I would let the dealer adjust them in case something else is wrong.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I assume by your description that you slides are not seating well when they are extended. I think in your case the slide may need two adjustments. The vertical adjustment screw will tilt the top of the slide in or out. You will need to screw the jack screw in to move the inside top away from the wall. When it looks like the bottom you may have to adjust the ram a bit to extend the slide some so that the whole slide moves a bit closer to the wall.
That is what I would do, I don't know if it is what you would want to do. If you go to a dealer it is a simple job that should not require leaving your coach there.
As far as stabilizing your rig, many people have had good luck with THESE.

Peace
Dave