All New LM365 Newport

WhyNot

One other thing I personally would like to see is the Kitchen Island moved about a foot forward, as in all FB units the living room area is small and the second recliner feels as though you are still in the kitchen as you watch TV. This is just my personal feel and option.

Greengas

Tom

Will the ladder issue that plagues the current landmarks be resolved in the new 365 line? Also, besides the plaque and paint, what other changes are being made to the structure etc, that makes the 365 different than the current LM? . Thanks and I look forward to your I formative informative reply.

T

TomMontague

It's misleading - you can't judge on base because there is so much more that is now included. Gen prep, EMS system, residential refer, induction cooktop, and much more are now standard. Also keep in mind the only price out is the Newport - the absolute biggest and heaviest coach we will build. Oh ya - 8k axles and 17.5" tires are standard on that floor plan as well. There will be others in the line-up that are more in line with what you see today. Is LM365 more money? Yes. It's also a better trailer. Solid maple drawer boxes through-out is a HUGE advantage over all the competition and it's building quality into a product where it's needed. It wouldn't be fair to judge the entire line on one floor plan - especially the 43' long, bath and 1/2 unit like the Newport - it's the biggest - everything else going forward will start to get smaller and more in line with what everyone is used to.

Hopefully this clears things up for some folks. Don't look at the base prices - look at final cost - Nobody finances the base. What does a rig with everything you want cost "out the door?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TomMontague

To address the ladder question - we have looked at and are scheduled to demo a new ladder. I will keep you posted on those results. As for other structural changes we really don't have any. The laminated construction story we feel is the best in the business. I'm trying to keep things lighter colored on the outside to help the coach work more efficiently. White roof, white a/c's and white roof components. Almost all of my competition has gone black and the heat in brands I'm familiar with have been sky rocketing under the hot sun most of our customers find themselves in.

T

TomMontague

We are working on moving the island forward as much as possible the challenge we face is access to the refer when the slides are in. We want to make sure at least one side of the refer opens at all times.

WhyNot

Mr Montague that is all so so true. At this moment I have been looking and yes working with dealers to put together a deal on the LM Key Largo. If it was "you" would you wait for the 365______ (Key Largo) model due out TBA or purchase now.

As for the Newport I did not notice on the pricing that the Base Price included the 8000lb Axles and the 17.5 Wheels saw one was "forced and the other was N/A so I stand corrected. That final price out the door is what I ask for from any dealer cause you can do what you want with numbers on a sheet of paper.

thanks again for all your info.

Greengas

Thanks tom

I'm glad the ladder is being looked at. It has long been a sore point with many LM owners. Maybe when you get a new ladder going we can get a retrofit discount. 😉

T

TomMontague

There are a few more questions I would like to answer based on this thread - regarding painting the radius roof so the coach looks like a motorhome - I WOULD LOVE TO - however it's a major warranty item for those who do and Heartland service doesn't want to be on the hook for the cost and neither does the paint shop. The brands who do it use a roof material called Alpha Ply - it's a good roof material but it's harder to pull tight. Sometimes on the sides it ripples and the paint ends up flaking off. It's "normal" wear and tear under the warranty fine print so most cases are the owners responsibility. It's a little bit of a grey area and neither myself or Heartland want to get into it.

There are other places I'm thinking about leaving paint off of - the plastic door to the power cord reel is the one that comes to mind. A high use item that can easily break or bend over time. I'm changing to black plastic so I don't have to paint it. I'm hoping it will look just as good and be much easier to take care of as an owner.

T

TomMontague

To buy or not to buy - great question. The Landmark as it sits today is a great unit. If you like it I wouldn't hesitate to work with your local dealer to find one that works for you.

The new LM365 version of the key largo will be nice as well - a little more expensive and will have some changes, hopefully for the better. Either one is going to be backed by Heartland the same way.

I would say go with your gut feeling. You can't go wrong either way. :)

porthole

Retired
Will the ladder issue that plagues the current landmarks be resolved in the new 365 line? Also, besides the plaque and paint, what other changes are being made to the structure etc, that makes the 365 different than the current LM? . Thanks and I look forward to your I formative informative reply.

To address the ladder question - we have looked at and are scheduled to demo a new ladder. I will keep you posted on those results.

Hope it works out. If I was to order a Newport today, based on the ladder on the prototype, I would put the order in with a "ladder delete".

We are working on moving the island forward as much as possible the challenge we face is access to the refer when the slides are in. We want to make sure at least one side of the refer opens at all times.

Just a personal thought. Every trailer that ended up on our "short list" was checked with 1 to all slides in for access. Fresh water and food access for the pups as well as bathroom access for the humans. Access was very high on the Cyclone we ordered.

And, I also checked the Newport with all the slides in. There was just enough access for the fridge, the sink was reachable and the 1/2 bath solved that issue.

There are other places I'm thinking about leaving paint off of - the plastic door to the power cord reel is the one that comes to mind. A high use item that can easily break or bend over time. I'm changing to black plastic so I don't have to paint it. I'm hoping it will look just as good and be much easier to take care of as an owner.

I haven't heard of anyone mentioning the paint on that door being an issue.
Back to personal opinion, half paint trailers have baggage doors that stand out because they are not painted. A full body paint trailer should have doors painted to match.

especially the 43' long, bath and 1/2 unit like the Newport - it's the biggest - everything else going forward will start to get smaller and more in line with what everyone is used to.

And chance for another bath and half model that isn't 43' long coming out?

the Newport - the absolute biggest and heaviest coach we will build.

The Newport prototype was not fully optioned out, and was still heavy. Based on that particular coach, with water the trailer had less then 1000 pounds of capacity. Any chance the GVW will be bumped up to include the full pin box capacity as were the Cyclones several years ago?

WhyNot

Tom thanks for correct political way of answering.
So if it was you and you could wait or buy now not in a must have now what would you do, the worry is the changes that are coming. I will tell you when the FL Rushmore first was out we liked it but were not in a position to change 5th wheels the next year they changed it and added that pole with the table there and the wife and I were disappointed. So i could be in that same boat other than will have the desire to change. I believe the few photos I have seen of the exterior are a great change and as for the inside I believe all will be positive.
eagerly looking for your reply LOL

WhyNot

Just a quick. On the new Newport are there going to be a plug next to the bed towards the Bath area? Also what about an electrical outlet in the desk area above the desk top if a customer orders without the 1/2 bath? Just a thought or two

Bryced15

Worried that this will look cheap by the sound of it.

davebennington

Tom Montague,

If you want to have a nice finished look like the high end motor homes, why not carry the painted graphics around the sides of the slides. I do not believe that this would increase the cost that much but would make a pleasing visual difference. JMO

dave

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
LM365 exterior mods demonstrate considerable thought and understanding of the environment in which the rig will be primarily used. White roof, a/c and heavy usage of white on the sidewalls, while not aesthetically pleasing to some, are undeniably the best when it comes to interior comfort.

17.5" wheels and 8k axles are the only way to go in a rig of this size for anyone who is on the road a lot. Having this "standard" means that no coach will leave the factory under engineered for the weight of the coach.

I really look forward to seeing the split bath model, the Ashland. I know there will be features that were in the Savannah that will not be carried forward to the Ashland, but if the design of the interior demonstrates the same level of thought as the exterior, I'm sure the coach will be extremely liveable, even if it does not meet all my particular whims.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Tom Montague,

If you want to have a nice finished look like the high end motor homes, why not carry the painted graphics around the sides of the slides. I do not believe that this would increase the cost that much but would make a pleasing visual difference. JMO

dave

Agree with Dave. The painted slide sides add a real classy feel.

porthole

Retired
Just a quick. On the new Newport are there going to be a plug next to the bed towards the Bath area? Also what about an electrical outlet in the desk area above the desk top if a customer orders without the 1/2 bath? Just a thought or two

IIRC, the proto had outlets on both sides of the bed that were also USB port equipped.

dave

Agree with Dave. The painted slide sides add a real classy feel.

And, I'd pay a hundred bucks extra to have the main entry door painted to match when it was clipped open.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Bear in mind that the door Tom is talking about is that small hatch of a door for the power cord reel - not a baggage door.

danemayer

I leave my power cord reel door open when we're set up at a campsite because the door is fragile and I don't want it to break. Replacing a broken reel door is no big deal. BUT, replacing a broken reel door that is painted is a major big deal. Parts coming from the factory are not painted. You have to get it done locally. So IMO, Tom's idea of an alternative makes a lot of sense. Of course it has to look good with the full body paint.