Awning problem... where to ask?

RanCarr

I didn't see anything for awnings so will ask here. I hope that's OK. :) There is something wrong with our electric awning. The In and Out switch has reversed itself. :( We now have to press In to extend it and Out to bring it in. What on earth? :confused: We can't understand this since the electrics were never worked on on this TT and the awning has always worked fine. Then this afternoon it struggled, moving very slowly and shakily, to come in. It acted so bad in fact, we're afraid to extend it to let it dry after this latest rain. We may not get it to come in at all. Any suggestions? Any help at all?

pegmikef

Re: Awningc problem... where to ask?

I have the carefree electric awning and I recall catching myself running it the wrong way once . . . apparently it will just keep rolling if you for instance hold the out button in instead of in. Once I got it back out (using the wrong direction), I brought it in correctly. I had only run it about three feet using the wrong direction so I don't know what would happen if one ran it all the way in.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired

If yo haven't already done so pull the switch from the wall mount and check connectors on backside. They may have become bent or losose and touching each other. Separate them a bit if the look close together and look inside mounting hole for debris that might be creating a short. Also try switching the power leads on back of switch if all else fails. I experienced an miswired awaning switch and all I had to do was fill leads. Also maybe just flip the hole switch 180 degrees if it is not labeled on switch itself.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

One more thought. If you have had the battery out and when re installing the anodes were reversed, the awning motor may run backwards.
I, uhh.....know someone that did this.

Peace
Dave

RuralPastor

I have the carefree electric awning and I recall catching myself running it the wrong way once . . . apparently it will just keep rolling if you for instance hold the out button in instead of in. Once I got it back out (using the wrong direction), I brought it in correctly. I had only run it about three feet using the wrong direction so I don't know what would happen if one ran it all the way in.

X's 2

mzcummins

they warned us about rolling up the awning backwards on our walk through

Sent using Tapatalk2

RanCarr

Thank you for this information. I held the (reversed) "IN" button until the awning ran all the way out, then let it come back in. It seems to be OK now. I'll have to remind my husband to be careful too. :)

RanCarr

If yo haven't already done so pull the switch from the wall mount and check connectors on backside. They may have become bent or losose and touching each other. Separate them a bit if the look close together and look inside mounting hole for debris that might be creating a short. Also try switching the power leads on back of switch if all else fails. I experienced an miswired awaning switch and all I had to do was fill leads. Also maybe just flip the hole switch 180 degrees if it is not labeled on switch itself.

Fortunately we wont have to do that. Apparently one of us held the IN or OUT button too long and it rolled up backwards as another poster mentioned. I've noticed thought that the motor doesn't run as smooth or as fast as when it was new.

RanCarr

One more thought. If you have had the battery out and when re installing the anodes were reversed, the awning motor may run backwards.
I, uhh.....know someone that did this.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave, it appears one of us somehow rolled the awning up "backwards." So the IN became the OUT on the switch. But it looks to me like the motor is wearing out in any case. When it rains we have to bring the awning in when we're camping or snow-birding. If not, even when backed up "snug" if you know what I mean - no sag in the awning, the water makes it bulge and sag. It then kneels to dump the water and the water hits the awning arm which sprays it all over the side of the TT including the bedroom window and "cat porch." Everything within 10' or so. So we don't leave it out when it's rains or drizzles.

RanCarr

they warned us about rolling up the awning backwards on our walk through

We ordered our BRS28 from a place in FL, but then DH picked it up at a dealer near the HL factory in IN. It saved us a few hundred in delivery costs. If they gave him a walk-through, no one mentioned this about the awning he can remember. But sometimes walk-throughs can be almost mind boggling with all the information they give and so he simply forgot. This new info about awning recalls, mentioned above, concerns me. I haven't seen any mention of it on other RV forums.

Good grief! There is a forum for awnings here ... I need to get to bed earlier or drink more coffee at night. :D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

My reading of the articles at RVPro indicate the problem units were built in the Feb-Apr, 2012, timeframe. Dometic does not sell retail, so any recall action would require them to contact the OEM's they supplied and then they would contact the owners. The articles don't mention Heartland as starting any recall, as some others have. My motor was replaced under warranty in Oct. 2009, after it just plain quit. Fortunately, the awning was rolled up at the time and we were at the end of our season.

mobilcastle

My DW tells me the awning is moving in very slow and one time stopped 1/2 way in-then finally it came in.. Can this unit be lubricated at the motor or is the motor on the way out? I will lube the hinged points. If the motor is shot where is the best place to get a replacement?
Thanks
Steve

Lou_and_Bette

When it rains we have to bring the awning in when we're camping or snow-birding. If not, even when backed up "snug" if you know what I mean - no sag in the awning, the water makes it bulge and sag. It then kneels to dump the water and the water hits the awning arm which sprays it all over the side of the TT including the bedroom window and "cat porch." Everything within 10' or so. So we don't leave it out when it's rains or drizzles.
You are correct to bring it in when it rains...we did not do that (we didn't have the splash issue) but recently we left it out and it DID NOT "kneel." Weight built up and the front arm twisted and collapsed. They don't make the same arms any more and the new kind cost $700 to replace. Got lucky and found a place through Ebay that had a set of the old arms for $400.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

With my trailer as level as I can get it, the electric awning has a natural tendency to drain to the front of the rig. So unless the rain storm has high winds with it, I leave it out. No bulges or problems. The only tie downs are the bungee cords for the Patio Shade attached to the roller.

Only problem I have with the awning is when I retract it, the forward arm doesn't quite nestle together like it should. So I have to get on a ladder or the bed of the truck to knock it home. Looks like a slight misalignment when it was mounted. The motor died our first season, but has been fine since it was replaced (warranty). Fortunately, it was retracted and would not extend, so I didn't have to mess with getting it back up.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but---our awning just quit. It sounds like when the cables on a truck battery doesn't quite connect and it clicks. It doesn't even work with the remote. It is still under warranty but we can't get to an authorized repair shop for another month. We are workampers and the closest town is 65 miles away and we can't leave it overnight. We will be finished the end of September and then we can get it fixed.

Any suggestions that would not void the warranty would be appreciated. Thanks

Forgot to mention its a 2012 Elkridge fifth wheel

danemayer

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but---our awning just quit. It sounds like when the cables on a truck battery doesn't quite connect and it clicks. It doesn't even work with the remote. It is still under warranty but we can't get to an authorized repair shop for another month. We are workampers and the closest town is 65 miles away and we can't leave it overnight. We will be finished the end of September and then we can get it fixed.

Any suggestions that would not void the warranty would be appreciated. Thanks

Forgot to mention its a 2012 Elkridge fifth wheel
Hi rockhounders,

I'm guessing that the awning is currently extended and won't come in. The awning manuals typically have a procedure to manually close them in case of failure. In your documentation envelope, you probably have the awning manual, along with a strap used in the manual procedure. If you can't locate your manual, we may have it in the manuals section of the forum.

Here's a link to one of the awning documents that shows the manual procedure for that particular awning.

If the awning is in, and won't go out, the best thing might be to leave it alone for now.

Its currently in so not a big worry, just frustration that the darn thing won't work. We had a few glitches in other things but that's kinda expected for anything new. Most of the time we don't extend it because of wind anyway. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, we are having the same problem with the motor for our slide out, it was getting slow but now it just clicks when you try to bring it in.We have a 2008 bighorn.