Bighorn 3685RL Shock absorbers

Gary521

MorRyde at the time did not have a problem installing the Bilsteins per my request. However, when the results were discussed with them after their failure and the "rougher" ride we experienced, they suggested the shocks were possibly "too stiff." After returning to the AP shocks, I cannot tell a significant difference in the ride (compared to OE Dexter suspension) with the SRE4000. But we have only been on one trip since the install with the AP shocks, and I don't believe we are completely level towing. About 1.5" high in the back.

My opinion is neutral, so throw it out in decision-making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I talked to the technical guy at Morryde, ( name? ) he said that the SRE4000 would probably NOT have any significant improvement in what you would feel in the truck. The improvement is in the trailer ride.
A few years, I modified the shock mounting system on my former Bighorn so that the shocks were almost vertical. Changed the shocks to improved models. At the truck, I felt no difference. The tech guy said that you can leave the existing shocks on with the 4000 addition but don't put them back when they wear out. The 4000 has a lot more movement than the stock system so you need to make sure the shocks will allow for that amount. Maybe your Bilsteins did not.

The Morryde guy did not want to bad mouth any competitor when I asked his "opinion" of the Liberty Rider system. ( Everybody knows Sonny ) Liberty Rider say that it makes the axles independent of each other. ( comparing to Morryde IS ) He did say that it is still a leaf spring system.

He said that the Morryde CRE 3000 was an entry level system for comparison. (Equa-flex, EZ Flex )

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When I talked to the technical guy at Morryde, ( name? ) he said that the SRE4000 would probably NOT have any significant improvement in what you would feel in the truck. The improvement is in the trailer ride.
A few years, I modified the shock mounting system on my former Bighorn so that the shocks were almost vertical. Changed the shocks to improved models. At the truck, I felt no difference. The tech guy said that you can leave the existing shocks on with the 4000 addition but don't put them back when they wear out. The 4000 has a lot more movement than the stock system so you need to make sure the shocks will allow for that amount. Maybe your Bilsteins did not.

The Morryde guy did not want to bad mouth any competitor when I asked his "opinion" of the Liberty Rider system. ( Everybody knows Sonny ) Liberty Rider say that it makes the axles independent of each other. ( comparing to Morryde IS ) He did say that it is still a leaf spring system.

He said that the Morryde CRE 3000 was an entry level system for comparison. (Equa-flex, EZ Flex )

No I was talking about the trailer ride, not the truck.

In every case, drawers open, pillows bounce off the loveseat, and other items bounce/move in the rear(living) and center(kitchen/dining) of the coach.

With the Bilstein shocks and SRE4000, it was actually worse.

Since we only have one trip with the AP shocks, I can't tell yet if the SRE4000 is noticeably better than the OEM Dexter suspension or not.

gslabbert5119

My leveling system does not level the trailer perfectly, it still leans to the left on flat ground, arg ...

Maybe I should fit an auto leveling system

Thanks for the info ...

Gavin

MikeR

He said that the Morryde CRE 3000 was an entry level system for comparison. (Equa-flex, EZ Flex

I had both the Liberty Rider and the Joy Rider systems installed after the Goshen Rally. We have a rear kitchen Big Country and the ride is drastically different. Cabinet doors stay shut items in fridge and inside cabinets are where we packed them before traveling. Yes the Liberty Rider is still a leaf spring system. The difference is that they are slipper leaf springs. I no longer have any shackles attached to the springs. On the front axle, the front spring eye is attached directly to the hanger. On the back axle the spring is attached by the back spring eye. Both springs independently slide in a new spring hanger mounted in the center. On that end of the spring, there is not an eye. The end is formed into a hook design. The "hook" fits around the bolt, that spans the width of the hanger. This allows each wheel to move independently. My description is probably clear as mud, but it really works well in improving the ride over a standard leaf spring design.

Gary521

No I was talking about the trailer ride, not the truck.

In every case, drawers open, pillows bounce off the loveseat, and other items bounce/move in the rear(living) and center(kitchen/dining) of the coach.

With the Bilstein shocks and SRE4000, it was actually worse.

Since we only have one trip with the AP shocks, I can't tell yet if the SRE4000 is noticeably better than the OEM Dexter suspension or not.

Thanks, Perhaps I will leave it as it is.

- - - Updated - - -

I had both the Liberty Rider and the Joy Rider systems installed after the Goshen Rally. We have a rear kitchen Big Country and the ride is drastically different. Cabinet doors stay shut items in fridge and inside cabinets are where we packed them before traveling. Yes the Liberty Rider is still a leaf spring system. The difference is that they are slipper leaf springs. I no longer have any shackles attached to the springs. On the front axle, the front spring eye is attached directly to the hanger. On the back axle the spring is attached by the back spring eye. Both springs independently slide in a new spring hanger mounted in the center. On that end of the spring, there is not an eye. The end is formed into a hook design. The "hook" fits around the bolt, that spans the width of the hanger. This allows each wheel to move independently. My description is probably clear as mud, but it really works well in improving the ride over a standard leaf spring design.

So how did it improve the ride? Your description is very good.

MikeR

Thanks, Perhaps I will leave it as it is.

- - - Updated - - -

So how did it improve the ride? Your description is very good.

I feel the ride has improved a lot. Prior to installing the new suspension we never knew what we would find in the kitchen, as far as what would find on the floor or what would fall on the floor the first time we opened the fridge. I'm sure that you know that the worst place a kitchen can be placed in an RV is the rear. We knew that when we bought it, but because of the layout we got so much counter top space and cabinets, that we bought it anyway. We thought we could work around the jolting. The answer to our problem was our new suspension system.