Busted window while traveling

wallaced

We were on our way to Maryland, negotiating the infamous I-85 construction zone just north of Charlotte, NC. During the stop and go traffic, a semi screamed down an entrance ramp and sideswiped our 5ver, trying to get ahead of as many car, trucks, etc as possible. I am sure you have met those mighty-fine citizens, no matter if they are driving a semi or VW bug. I managed to pull off at the next exit, and examine the damage...he busted the dining room window, as well as putting lots of scrapes in the paint and finish. Unfortunately, the semi was 15-20 cars/trucks ahead of us, so we couldn't get any company name. The highway patrol was less than enthused when told it was a minor collision, and that a response from them would be several hours to get a police report.
I called the CW dealer where we bought the unit - they suggested we take it to the nearest CW dealer near Raleigh, NC. I called them instead, not wanting to travel very far with no window. They told me that because of the lead time in ordering and replacing the window, there wasn't anything they could do for me. Of course.
I went to the nearest Lowes and bought a piece of Lexan, cut it to fit the window opening and used aluminum tape to seal it. Now my brand new 5ver looks like the typical bubba-engineered masterpieces you see in the South. (sorry Southerners....I am from Georgia, and know of what I speak)
So, it looks like I will have my unit in the shop getting a few irritating warranty items corrected, as well as waiting at least two weeks for new windows and frame. I bought the Good Sam extended warranty on the 5ver...hope this is covered.
What a mess.

jimtoo

I can see no way that warranty by anyone would cover a broken window and paint damage due to a wreck or collision. I think you need to call your insurance company a file a claim.

Jim M