Campfires

Birchwood

Are wood burning campfires acceptable by todays standards?More campers are complaining about smoke entering
their rigs with one or more occupants suffering from ashma or allergies.Perhaps its time to switch over to propane
outdoor firepits.What was acceptable 10 years ago may not be so cool today .

BarneyFife

Only complaints I've heard are the people who insist on leaving a fire burning 24/7 while camping; even when they aren't even there. This is especially annoying when its 95 degrees outside. Really?

By the way. I like to use dried 2"x4"s I cut up from Lowes for my campfires. Its cheap, burns clean, and doesn't last 8 hours.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We heard one complaint at the Wisconsin Rally last month. The complainer was told to leave by the park owner. If they have an issue maybe they should not subject themselves to the irritant. JMHO (And God knows I have a big one)

CliffP

We heard one complaint at the Wisconsin Rally last month. The complainer was told to leave by the park owner. If they have an issue maybe they should not subject themselves to the irritant. JMHO (And God knows I have a big one)

Someone threw a fit about someone elses campfire and they were asked to leave? Must have been quite a scene.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Campfires are a big part of the camping experience. If your asthma is that bad, you probably shouldn't be camping.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Are wood burning campfires acceptable by todays standards?More campers are complaining about smoke entering their rigs with one or more occupants suffering from ashma or allergies.Perhaps its time to switch over to propane outdoor firepits.What was acceptable 10 years ago may not be so cool today .
We seldom build a campfire but I do appreciate the ambience, usually the smell, and the solace a crackling campfire provides for many people (not to mention the hotdogs and smores). I do prefer camping neighbors with the propane fire pits but I can always close my windows and vents if a traditional campfire becomes offending.

Personally, I see the virtue of tolerance being lost in these times. I am not saying one need put up with rudeness and/or inconsiderate campers nor do I think one should impose on those with health issues, but I do see a trend of "my way or the highway." The "live and let live" mindset I grew up appreciating is seemingly giving way to more irreverent thinking. Again, not to offend anyone, simply my personal observation!

Happy Camping!

ZNK

They must have really complained. Can't believe some people....

wdk450

There is a national campaign to use locally produced firewood only, due to invasive insect pests that the local trees may not be resistant to. The powers that be don't want you to carry in your own firewood.

Sandie

I am an asthma sufferer but I also have always loved campfires. When someone doesn't know how to start a campfire or throws wet wood on it to make it smoke is when I get really sick and a bit aggravated. I'm all for propane but that's just because of my asthma. JMO.

GOTTOYS

There are so many places around here that don't allow you to bring in your own wood. I bought one of those Lil Red Campfires that runs on propane. Thought it was pretty hokey and small the first time I used it, but after getting used to it we think it's pretty nice. A big wood campfire is nicer but the smoke always seems to follow me..Don

CliffP

There is a national campaign to use locally produced firewood only, due to invasive insect pests that the local trees may not be resistant to. The powers that be don't want you to carry in your own firewood.

We got chewed out for bringing our own wood to a campground 22 miles from our house. Wisconsin law is 25 miles. So............we packed up ours and bought wood from the campground. It had a brochure in it. The wood was packaged at a welding shop 40 miles from the campground.:rolleyes:

GETnBYE

I love a campfire and we usually have one when weather permits.
What I don't think is acceptable or should I say smart or safe is burning a huge fire next to someones camper when the rings and sites are to close for it to be safe. And leaving them unattended is even worse.
It's like my Daddy used to say........."If you want to pick your neighbors you better buy a hundred acres". It's camping and campfires is part of it.

Manzan

We have been places where a wood fire is not allowed due to fire danger. I prefer a wood fire but the propane works well and you can roast marshmallows over it.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
IMO it's just like smoking...I may not want to be around it but they have a right to smoke if that is what they wish to do. I understand people that have asthma (or other illness) may be bothered by it but those of us that don't should be able to enjoy a campfire if we so wish. Make part of the campgrounds 'non-campfire' areas and leave the other part alone.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm in favor of the wood campfires. Most places that are true campgrounds allow it and yes, some have the local wood only restriction. When we head south for the winter, most everywhere we've been has a "no wood fires" rule. We carry a propane campfire for those places. Sometimes it's even easier to use it for a short little before bed type fire too. You have fire in a matter of seconds and theres no wait to extinguish. I don't think they would work for pies though.:(

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Someone threw a fit about someone elses campfire and they were asked to leave? Must have been quite a scene.

Not sure exactly what took place as I was not there. But what I heard from fellow rally goers was, that the people complaining where asked to leave.

sjs731

We love wood campfires. How else would you be able to pass on the old "play in the fire and you'll wet the bed" story to our kids?

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk