Campfires

traveler44

I think that it is all right to have a campfire as long as the smoke doesn't come towards our campsite all of the time. There are people who do have breathing problems and they can't get away from the smoke by staying at home all of the time either. We had a lot of people who enjoyed the smell of burning leaves in the fall in the village where we live and so it continued until the old administration got replaced by people who got tired of taking their kids to the hospital every time their neighbors burned leaves. That leaf smoke was so bad that it even burned my lungs at times. So I can understand why some people are more sensitive to some of the fires that people burn. Tom

HornedToad

With the drought most counties in Texas have burn bans and I haven't had a camp fire in years. I do attend several festivals with cook-offs and tailgate every fall. The smoke from a BBQ Pit can be just as bad if not worse than a campfire. As a courtsey to my neighbors I always check the flags for wind direction before I setup / fire up my pit.

Birchwood

For campgrounds and RV resorts I think wood burning campfires are old school.To many issues
as campgrounds are busy and people are well aware of their rights and won't tolerate smoke inside there
RV units.I realize there are some safety issues with propane fire pits but over time they may be resolved.

mdamerell

Well, I must be old school since one of the things I enjoy most is a fat cigar, a glass of Gentleman Jack and a campfire. With the nanny state poking it's nose in the rest of our lives camping is my escape from this nonsense. We joined our resort because it was old school family oriented. Let the kids run and be kids and all the parents keep an eye open. If someone stops by you offer them a cold beverage and cigar. Somethings are best shared. Propane fires don't smell right, don't crackle correctly and you can't poke it with a stick................ Plus you can't pour Mystical Fire in a propane fire pit ;)

Tumblebug

I have some lung problems and most of the time campfires don't cause me problems, if so I just go away from the the smoke. But what really turns me over is when people burn their trash in the fire, lots of bad stuff there. Have to get far away from the trash burners!