cracked wheel

sdrubrecht

Just got back from Quartzsite and was putting trailer to bed and saw this. Had 3 Chinese bomb blowouts in 3000 miles, so I put on the Goodyear G614's hoping to avoid problems. I saw a load rating on the wheels but no pressure rating. Not sure if excess pressure would cause this kind of crack anyway. Guess its time for new wheels. Warranty ran out 2 weeks ago. Don't know if I'll go with steel or aluminum. Time to start shopping.

Attachments

• quartzsite clone 004 e.jpg
    quartzsite clone 004 e.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 120

lwmcguir

I have broke a few wheels and always suspected the road or like yourself, having blown a tire and added additional stress. Also have had a few factory defects over the years but usually smaller cracks and leaks, not large cracks like you have. I certainly like the looks of the Alloy wheels but you can't go wrong with steel either. All of my wheels are stamped with the maximum pressure inside the wheel. Most have a load rating as well. Haven't heard much about broken wheels so this is surely not a common occurrence but sure a pain as well. I would just change out the bad one and watch the rest.

jnbhobe

I would call customer service since the warranty just ran out. Unless your wheels were not rated for the tires I would think the wheel manufacturer would like to see it. Its worth a try!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Definitely contact the manufacturer. The tires may blow driving off the dealer's lot, but the wheels, even cast aluminum, should last years. Quite possibly a casting defect. It does happen, unfortunately.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Definitely contact the manufacturer...we had a very similar crack and the manufacturer said it was a defect and sent us a new wheel...been fine ever since.

sdrubrecht

Update: Contacted Heartland and they refered me to tredit tire. Tredit tire is shipping out a new wheel, no questions asked. Guess there really is a Santa.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Good deal! And all that got ruffled up were some electrons in the telephone line. And they'll get over it.

sdrubrecht

Second update: New wheel arrived today! Tredittire also sent a prepaid mailer to send back cracked wheel and a reinbursement form to cover cost of remounting tire!
Wish Lippert was that easy to deal with. Having flat spring issues also, but thats for another thread.
Kudos and many thanks to lwmcguir, jnphobe, JohnDar, and kakampers. Without this forum and you guys, I was ready to write the wheels off as in the same boat with the China bomb tires.