CY 3010 Fresh Water Tank - Some water is inaccessible - Discussion

jbeletti

rtataryn,

In terms of not not being access a significant portion of water in the tanks on this model, while I have no real detail on this, I can confirm that the factory has heard this from you guys loud and clear. Engineering and Production is working on a solution that will be made as a running line change.

When they finish with that, it's my hope that Customer Service will know how to guide current 3010 owners on modifications.

Jim

Yianni

I am also very concerned with this. We are picking up our new 3010 early October. One of the main reasons we bought it was because of the advertised 100 gals of fresh water. We dry camp for a week at a time and that was the biggest headache was trying to add more fresh water with 5 gallon cans.
I hope the fix will be a warranty item as I don't really want to have to do this myself on a brand new trailer.

rtataryn

rtataryn,

In terms of not not being access a significant portion of water in the tanks on this model, while I have no real detail on this, I can confirm that the factory has heard this from you guys loud and clear. Engineering and Production is working on a solution that will be made as a running line change.

When they finish with that, it's my hope that Customer Service will know how to guide current 3010 owners on modifications.

Jim

Thanks Jim for your quick reply on this. I'll follow this forum for Customer Service guidance on how I can make the appropriate modifications. Hopefully I can get to this within the next few weeks considering the season change nearing. Thanks again.

Rod

mdhill

I'm following this thread closely, as I'm having the same issues with my new 3010. I figure I've got about 20 to 30 gallons that I can't use or remove. Besides the health concerns already mentioned with standing water in the tank, pretty soon I'll be needing to winterize my unit. I figure once I put RV antifreeze in the fresh tank(s) there will be no getting it all out next spring. Sounds like many of us need a solution to the same problem here. I'm willing to do the work myself . . . I'm just not sure what exactly is the best solution for it. This has been brought up on "Ask the Factory", but so far I've not seen a response. Any ideas Jim or Mike???

I had rig at a dealer last week. He did a small fix and extended the draw into the fresh water tank so could pull more of it out. Still leaves about
an inch of unusable and undrainable water in the rear tank. the front
tank always has over two inches of unusable and undrainable water in it.
I looked at the tanks while they were working on them. The reason the
1/3 light stays on in the fresh water tank is the sensor is just barely at
the water level to keep it on. It will never shut off with this set up.

Dealer finished all he could do and called Heartland to see if they would
authorize a better fix such as a drain on the bottom of the tanks. So
far 5 business days have passed and call not returned from Heartland.

js700

Hopefully we will hear something soon, Dune season is right around the corner and it's time to dry camp..........Jim

Manke3010

I'm jumping in on this thread as well. Having the exact same issue and am awaiting a response from my contact at Heartland.
Thanks for posting this everyone, really appreciate the insight :)

mdhill

rtataryn,

Jim

Jim, thank you for your ear and Heartlands desire to make it right. My
3850 and probably the 3950 also are plumbed the same.

Mike

js700

Does anyone have a drawing of the water tank setup on a Cyclone 3010 do they? I am interested in a side view of the tanks, water pump , drains and crossover link. I figured I would ask before I started taking off my matting on the bottom. Mine is at the dealer right now for warranty work but I am sure they are going to tell me that there is nothing they can do at this point. (I could be wrong)........Jim

porthole

Retired
Took some pics but they didn't come out well.

Looking at the left side of the trailer.

The tanks are located ahead of the axles. 2 - 48 gallon transverse mounted tanks. They are approximately 7" high. The tanks are separated by about 12"

Looking down from above (you have to picture this) there is a crossover hose, which appears to be regular 1.5" fill hose at the center (side to side) of the two tanks. The fittings for this hose are about 2" off the bottom of the tank, hence the reason for the non useable - non- drainable 20-30 gallons in the forward tank.

The water pump supply fitting is on the forward, lower, left side edge of the rear tank. The rear tank appears to drain almost completely.

You can see this by pulling down 3-4 screws of holding the underbelly cover. If you really want to see inside it will require some work. The sewer pipes are in the way, as well as the propane line.

mdhill

water tanks on Cyclone's

Jim, several questions have been asked about solution to inability to draw
and or drain ALL the water from the tanks. You had answered that Heartland was looking into a solution. I had my trailer in a local dealer but
he was afraid to tackle problem without a plan of action from Heartland.
Could you give us an update on the problem?

Thank you
Mike

jbeletti

Sorry Mike - I have no update for you. I have passed this along to brand management for Cyclone for them to weigh on.

Jim

mdhill

Sorry Mike - I have no update for you. I have passed this along to brand management for Cyclone for them to weigh on.

Jim

Jim, I stopped by the only rv dealer in this area that has a certified plastic
welder on duty. They said the solution to the standing water in the water
tanks is weld a fitting in the bottom of each tank so they can drain. They
advised that I would need to pay the bill and get reimbursed from Heartland. I would be willing as I am very concerned about the inability
to drain all the water from the tanks.
Could you see what they say about this solution?

Thank you

jbeletti

Jim, I stopped by the only rv dealer in this area that has a certified plastic
welder on duty. They said the solution to the standing water in the water
tanks is weld a fitting in the bottom of each tank so they can drain. They
advised that I would need to pay the bill and get reimbursed from Heartland. I would be willing as I am very concerned about the inability
to drain all the water from the tanks.
Could you see what they say about this solution?

Thank you

Mike,

Best for you to work directly with Customer Service on this. Call them now at 877-262-8032.

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if there is a real need to get all of the water out of the tank. If there is only some in the bottom, freezing will not be an issue, there is plenty of room for expansion upward. And if you sanitize with bleach once in a while bacteria will not be a problem. I have never gotten all the water out of a fresh water tank. It aint broke, don't fix it. Just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

rtataryn

Mike,

There is another solution that you could do yourself. I have not done this yet but it is on my list. I will post pictures when I get around to it.

Check out this link: http://www.usi-rv.com/product.sc?productId=9&categoryId=4

That looks like a nice gadget for this issue.

Just thinking out loud here - If one of these were installed at the lowest point on each tank with a hose coming off of each of them - would you then join those two hoses together into a common line that runs into the water pump? And if so, where would you connect the outside drain for each tank? Install another one of these in each tank? 0r split another hose and valve off the common line going to the pump? Also, what would you do to seal up the existing holes where the existing line drains to the water pump, or seal the holes where the two tanks currently connect to each other? Just leave those ones as they are???

Personally, I really want to see what the factory recommends before I start drilling holes and running new lines.

BTW Jim, we are forecast for 20 degrees F on Friday night here. I've blown out all the lines, but I've got to get that standing water out of those tanks immediately. Any quick ideas to get them completely drained until a permanent solution is found?

Rod

rtataryn

I don't know if there is a real need to get all of the water out of the tank. If there is only some in the bottom, freezing will not be an issue, there is plenty of room for expansion upward. And if you sanitize with bleach once in a while bacteria will not be a problem. I have never gotten all the water out of a fresh water tank. It aint broke, don't fix it. Just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

Dave,

We're estimating at least 25 or 30 gallons of standing water - equating to several inches in the tanks. Certainly enough to crack the tank if left to freeze. Also, with that much "unreachable" water, any bleach added to it for sanitation would not be able to be rinsed out after disinfection, but would continually mix with the "usable" water. Then there's just the simple inconvenience of toting around 1/3 of a tank (or 250 lbs) of useless water wherever you go, reducing a 110 gallon system down to 75 or 80.

It is a problem. It is broke. And it does need fixin'.

Rod

porthole

Retired

There is 2.5" of water in an approximately 7" high tank. There is more then just "some" water in the tank. I'm guessing about 15 gallons.