CY 3010 Fresh Water Tank - Some water is inaccessible - Discussion

Manke3010

I have a few more warranty items that need to be addressed...any word yet on a fix for this from the factory? Waiting on this one (large) issue before I take it in for everything else....

Manke3010

Chris is my contact at Heartland, he replied back to me today and said there is still no resolution.
I have a rig waiting for add'l warranty work and this is holding us up.
We all would really appreciate a prompt response back with a resolution so we can get this defect addressed...

Thanks all.

dougw

So I wonder if my new trailer will have this same issue. How would I check for this and or look for this issue, if the bottom of the trailer is sealed up? What and where would I be looking?

thanks
Doug

dougw

Well, I too hope that the trailer I'm about to take possession of will have this issue fixed. This would suck from the "get go".

As for the rvgages, I had them on my last trailer and they worked very well. I got the low profile sensor for the smaller depth tanks I had, but seemed very accurate. Doesn't do any thing for this issue, but.

Doug

H

Heartland Service

From the HRV engineering department: In an effort to supply the retail customers with larger potable water capacities it was necessary to develop a twin tank system not unlike those used in the marine industry. These tanks are rotational molded, and the fittings are installed using an inertia welding method. The fittings have both a flange and an internal lip. The internal lip extends into the tank approximately 3/8 of an inch, while the flange is larger than the diameter of the fitting. Since they can only be placed so close to a corner or an edge some residual water will remain in the tank. Placing the fittings in the bottom can actually cause more water to remain in the tank, due to the surface area.
The 3 systems monitor probes are placed in a manor so that they read “Full”, “2/3”, “1/3”, & “Empty”. When the water level drops below an individual probe it reads to the next level. For example the moment the water level drops below the “Full” probe it will the read “2/3” even though there is more than two thirds capacity left. That being said we have had numerous complaints that “Empty” read to quickly so we moved the “1/3” probe down closer to the bottom of the tank, causing complaints that it read “Empty” to late. (We have since compromised on the probes location.)
Concerning winterization of the unit, anti-freeze should not be pumped into the water heater or the potable tank, only the water lines. Although non-toxic it is difficult to remove from these fixtures, and any residual water left in the tank wouldn’t cause damage to the potable tank.
We at Heartland take both complaints and suggestions very seriously, and will continue to look for better design solutions to these issues.

porthole

Retired
From the HRV engineering department: In an effort to supply the retail customers with larger potable water capacities it was necessary to develop a twin tank system not unlike those used in the marine industry. These tanks are rotational molded, and the fittings are installed using an inertia welding method. The fittings have both a flange and an internal lip. The internal lip extends into the tank approximately 3/8 of an inch, while the flange is larger than the diameter of the fitting. Since they can only be placed so close to a corner or an edge some residual water will remain in the tank. Placing the fittings in the bottom can actually cause more water to remain in the tank, due to the surface area.

That answer does not satisfy the problem.

Two tanks - no problem, just set a "primary" tank slightly higher then the "secondary".

The crossover in the middle of the long side of the tanks leaves more then just 3/8" or a "little" water. My guess is it leaves close to 15 gallons of unusable potentially stagnant water in the tank.

The way the Cyclone tanks appear now is that the forward tank is the "primary (#1)", e.g. it gets its water from the tank fill. This water then "spills" over through the crossover into the "secondary (#2)", e.g. the tank that supplies the house water system.

The water pump supply is very low, on the side, along the short edge of the tank and it appears to allow most of the water to drain from #2.

Arrange the tanks so # 1 is sloped towards the ODS and towards the rear and #2 is sloped towards the ODS and wherever the house supply discharge is located.

As noted in my previous post, my boat has 4 30 gallon water tanks, tied together and I can drain all but a fraction of the 120 gallons, just not while running.

Or – just design your tanks so they are tapered like waste tanks.
“Roto” molded tanks can be just about any shape.

BTW, if the lip was approximately 3/8” and was on the bottom and the tank was perfectly level it would only leave about 2 gallons in the tank, and if the tank was sloped the remaining water would probably amount to not much more then a couple of cups – that I’m sure we all could live with.

From the HRV engineering department:

Concerning winterization of the unit, anti-freeze should not be pumped into the water heater or the potable tank, only the water lines. Although non-toxic it is difficult to remove from these fixtures, and any residual water left in the tank wouldn’t cause damage to the potable tank.
We at Heartland take both complaints and suggestions very seriously, and will continue to look for better design solutions to these issues.

So by this are you suggesting the 15 gallons of water is OK to be allowed to freeze in the tank?

Manke3010

Duane, you're a huge asset to us fellow customers of the Heartland product.
Very, very well put.
From the tests I've done with my water meter, I feel we're starved of over 15 gallons, and closer to 25 gallons, but regardless, as you said above, Heartland's response above is not acceptable. I had two fresh tanks in my prior 5'ver and never had this issue either.
I for one am not paying for this out of pocket given the litany of other issues I've dealt with on this rig.

rtataryn

The 3 systems monitor probes are placed in a manor so that they read “Full”, “2/3”, “1/3”, & “Empty”. When the water level drops below an individual probe it reads to the next level. For example the moment the water level drops below the “Full” probe it will the read “2/3” even though there is more than two thirds capacity left. That being said we have had numerous complaints that “Empty” read to quickly so we moved the “1/3” probe down closer to the bottom of the tank, causing complaints that it read “Empty” to late. (We have since compromised on the probes location.)

Heartland,

We've all been patiently waiting for nearly two months for your "engineering solution" to this problem of unreachable water in the potable tanks. We've all confirmed that between 15 to 30 gallons of water remains in our water tanks at all times - stagnating in the heat and freezing in the cold - diminishing our usable water capacity by one-third and adding a few hundred pounds of unnecessary weight to our rigs.

This is a fixable problem. Several "handy" Heartland owners have posted their personal solutions to get their tanks to drain completely. What the rest of us are waiting for is the factory engineers that have designed this system to give us the factory solution for our current rigs and assure future Heartland buyers what design changes have been implemented in the new units coming off the line.

With all due respect, this "Customer Service" response is not an answer and doesn't offer a solution to the problem for current owners or an assurance to future owners.

Jim Beletti stated over a month ago on this thread regarding our inability to drain 1/3 of the water from the tanks . . . "The factory has heard this from you guys loud and clear. Engineering and Production is working on a solution that will be made as a running line change".

Specifically, What is the solution for current owners with this problem, and What is the solution that will be made as a running line change.

Cycloner3950

Crazy for Camping!
Can someone explain in detail what panels need to be removed to access the front water tank? I am prepared to document and repair this fault by myself but I am a little hesitant on removing the factory underbelly covers and disturbing "things". Can someone help here and I will return the favour by documenting my fix........it is not rocket science Heartland.

rtataryn

Jim,

Is this the "final statement" from Heartland regarding this issue? Or can we expect any further response as to a specific factory solution to remove the water from our tanks?

Thanks in advance.

Rod

rtataryn

Jim,

Is this the "final statement" from Heartland regarding this issue? Or can we expect any further response as to a specific factory solution to remove the water from our tanks?

Thanks in advance.

Rod

Jim,

Are we to take this non-response as an indication that this issue is closed, and Heartland has no factory solution to this problem for it's owners?

Rod

jbeletti

Hi Rod,

You'll have to speak to Customer Service about this matter as I have no information to add. Call them today at 877-262-8032.

Jim

mdhill

Jim,

Are we to take this non-response as an indication that this issue is closed, and Heartland has no factory solution to this problem for it's owners?

Rod

Rod, let us know what answer is. I am still waiting for answer same as you. The solution is not that difficult am surprised that Heartland has
chosen the silent path.

rtataryn

Rod, let us know what answer is. I am still waiting for answer same as you. The solution is not that difficult am surprised that Heartland has
chosen the silent path.

I called today, but got sent to voicemail. I'll post what I find out from customer service as soon as I talk to them.

Rod

Mikemm62

Mike & Suzanne
A possible solution for everyone might be simple .... I not sure if it would work ?? but I fly R/C planes and in the fuel tank we have what we call a clunk .. it keeps the fuel lint in the lowest part of the tank at all times ... even if you are upside down.... this could be easily adapted to these water tanks and allow for most of the water to be used / removed... hope this helps

Mike

rtataryn

I called today, but got sent to voicemail. I'll post what I find out from customer service as soon as I talk to them.

Rod

I spoke on the phone this morning with my regional Heartland service manager. He has seen this issue before and has found it was caused by the draw tank being higher than the fill tank. If the fill tank is raised a bit, and/or the draw tank lowered it should solve the problem, however he has suggested that each particular units case may be different and may require a different solution. What he suggests is I take the unit to a certified Cyclone service department and have them pull the underbelly, take photos and then consult with him at the factory on what exactly to do to resolve my particular issue.

He also offered that on new units the factory is now running a draw line from the pump into both tanks, instead of just one - eliminating the need for the fill tank to have to fully drain into the draw tank before it is able to be pumped out.

Either way, he assured me that Heartland will resolve the problem, and take care of it under full warranty.

Rod