Cyclone 4100 Delivery

Nitehawk79

On Friday the 12th showed up at the dealer (Big Daddy RVS) to inspect and purchase a Cyclone 4100 that I had put a deposit on. I showed up bright and early armed with my check list, ladder, flashlight, and tools. The unit was inside, had water and power connected, and had all the lights on inside and out. I was never rushed and all my questions were answered either by the person doing the walk through with us or one of the people working on the unit.

On my inspection I noted several problems with the unit that makes me wonder if I should just have the dealer order me a new one or wait. Below is the list of problems that I found:

• The wall between in the closet between the washer and closet was shifted to the left and pulled away from the trim piece. The trim piece broke when the wall was pushed back, so that will need to be replaced
  • The trim under the ladder to the bunk was broke
  • Two kitchen area drawer catches broken
  • ½ bath cabinet had broken trim
  • Large window shade behind couch doesn’t go down fully
  • Large window had large seem (gap) on the front edge where the top and bottom meet
  • Large window had a dent on the outside on the metal frame
  • Header on large slide needs to be reattached
  • On the roof found two holes in the rubber, large bubbles, and a stain
  • Under the unit hydraulic hose came loose by the axles and pushed the under cover to bow
  • Pink liquid around hydraulic hose, not sure if it is hydraulic fluid or winterization fluid
  • Large water bubble under the garage floor, later went back and water was leaking from that area
  • Decal on the lower outside cover was peeling and not trimmed very well
  • Door handles on bathroom and bedroom not installed properly
There maybe more, but after six hours I was tired. I did give the dealer notice on Monday that I would be there on Friday, so it was not a surprise.

Nitehawk79

A couple of things i forgot to mention the MSRP sheet that the dealer gave me had a 20 gallon hot water tank, the real tank was only 10. i saw this on a couple other units on their lot as well, not sure where the typo came in.

The master bedroom did have power plugs on each side of the bed.

tmcran

WOW! Thats a lot of problems for new unit IMO. If that is what ya can see I would be concerned about what I could not see. I would pass on that unit if it were me.Good luck.

danemayer

Hi Nitehawk79,

That's a long list, but a lot of it sounds like it's stuff the dealer can easily and quickly correct. Some things sound like the dealer ought to investigate and get back to you about the cause before you make further decisions.

The 20 gallon water heater has been discussed before on the forum. The water heater holds 10 gallons, but recovers as if it were a conventional 20 gallon tank. The benefit is that you get way better performance than the typical 12 gallon tank provides. If you could actually get a tank that holds 20 gallons, this tank would provide the same performance but with 70 pounds less water to carry, and less space taken up. Calling it a 20 gallon water heater is apparently marketing's way of describing the improvement, but it's certainly confusing.

Nitehawk79

danemayer,

the trim stuff is not a major problem, the window and the water are issues that concern me. Not sure if the window will leak down the road and if there is damage to the flooring in the garage. The wall in the closet also is a concern, is there other damage that I can not see?

The sad thing is I did not fully complete checking everything out. I still need to fill the water tank and check out the water pump and place fuel in the tank and check out the fuel pump.

That makes sense about the hot water tank... it should be called what it is and not what it operates like.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Consider also checking the shower drain. Remove the cold air return vents to the left of the power center under the fireplace, if equipped. the drain will be easy to see at that point. You could inspect from the inside the basement by removing the wall but the distance could make it a challenge to see if a leak exists.

scottyb

Nitehawk79, sound like you are doing a thorough job. cOne note, check the folding support legs on the bench seats in the garage. Mine and several others were shipped with legs that were about 4" too short, last year. Also, read up on this website about the Towmax tires, if that is what your's came with. Make them fix everything and be prepared to add some improvements like surge protection, battery upgrades, etc.

We just returned from 9 days in the Big Bend area and we love this rig.

oscar

This is the third instance (including my own) where I hear of the wall in the front closet coming out of it's trim track, so it appears to be systemic. It happens while moving. Since this is a recent change to the design I suspect that this is a surprise to the engineers. If all goes as it should, there will be a retrofit.

When you go back on Friday pay very close attention to the way the outside ladder is attached. Look for broken screw heads and for the brackets backing away from the skin.

I've taken the latter up with AJ on this forum, including the sending of pictures, but so far there is no reaction from HL. :mad:

Other than that our unit did not have any other QC issues. Guess we got lucky..... again. So far we've put 3500 miles on it and we are enjoying it immensely and not regretting our purchase at all.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new "condo on wheels" and welcome to the forum. Work with your dealer on the issues that you have found so far. They should be very helpful in getting things addressed/resolved. But - remember that these units are rolling earthquakes on wheels and things happen as they are being transported. We have had 4 coaches over the last 10 years and being handy has been our biggest asset. And of course asking questions as things happen.
Enjoy and travel safely.

Nitehawk79

Scottyb I did notice legs on the benches...new check. I have already been scoping out power protection and yes the unit has the tires of death.

Oscar I hope it was just a fluke and dealer fixes it so that it does not happen again.

I provided my list to the dealer I just hope when I return and do system testing that there is nothing else wrong with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nitehawk79

WOW! Thats a lot of problems for new unit IMO. If that is what ya can see I would be concerned about what I could not see. I would pass on that unit if it were me.Good luck.

I ended up passing on the unit. Like you said if this is what I saw how bad is what I could not see also how much damage was done to roof with holes in the rubber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD