Cyclone in Dumfries, VA

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Saw a Cyclone turning into the Cracker Barrel (or one of the nearby hotels) off VA234 @ I-95 last night around 9:00pm. Looks like it had either MI or NY plates - couldn't tell for sure. My son was driving and we blew by pretty fast!

talley

While in Dumfries, Va your son should slow down a bit;)... you could have stopped at The Major's (if it is still open) and enjoyed a beer or two, visited with friendly people and some Heros:D. Many have passed thru The Major's door. Now that I think of it... perhaps it has been too long ago (1975/1980):(. Can anybody give an update?

boatto5er

While in Dumfries, Va your son should slow down a bit;)... you could have stopped at The Major's (if it is still open) and enjoyed a beer or two, visited with friendly people and some Heros:D. Many have passed thru The Major's door. Now that I think of it... perhaps it has been too long ago (1975/1980):(. Can anybody give an update?

I actually live just outside of Dumfries and am not familiar with Major's. Of course a lot has changes over the years. The once famous Globe and Laurel in Triangle is no longer there either - victim of current Rt 1 widening to 6 lanes ( they have moved down to Stafford County just south of the back gate to Quantico)..

talley

I actually live just outside of Dumfries and am not familiar with Major's. Of course a lot has changes over the years. The once famous Globe and Laurel in Triangle is no longer there either - victim of current Rt 1 widening to 6 lanes ( they have moved down to Stafford County just south of the back gate to Quantico)..

Thanks for the info... I think the place may well be the Globe and Laurel in Triangle. After 30 years my memory needed a boost. I believe it was owned at that time by a retired Marine Corps Major. The ceiling was covered with shoulder patches, many from police departments. Many from the near-by FBI Academy frequented the location.

Will probably make a trip by there in the next couple of years and will look for it at the new location.

Jerry

boatto5er

Gus where you there when the lod A&P was there?

Nope - we moved up here in 2003. Lived down in Stafford County (south of Quantico Marine Base) from 1987 to 2003 prior to that. Passed through here a lot during that time, but don't recall the A&P.

bill40

Was there in 50to80 closed when they opened the new store in Mannanas I beleive it was in 81 I think. Old people have a problem with memory sometimes.

boatto5er

Was there in 50to80 closed when they opened the new store in Mannanas I beleive it was in 81 I think. Old people have a problem with memory sometimes.

Yep - they (whoever "they" is) say memory is the 2d thing to go!:rolleyes:

porthole

Retired
An old dive boat captain who used to dock next to me would always reply to my comment; "you know Dave, the hearing is the first thing to go" - "no - it is the second"