EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: AZ, Tucson - 2/23/2016 to 2/28/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
John:
You just might win a bottle of FireBall on prize night...for sure it will be available on Steal a Gift night....
It is interesting to watch your eyes cross after two shots.....

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John:
You just might win a bottle of FireBall on prize night...for sure it will be available on Steal a Gift night....
It is interesting to watch your eyes cross after two shots.....

And two more shots and the eyes cross back to where they should be!

Mmmmmmmm . . . . Fireball . . . :mad: :p :eek:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Garry, a little off topic. SO, you were a "dreaded" Lakewood sheriff...HUH? Were you the guy that wrote me a ticket 2 times for "TOO LOW" in the same night on Bellflower Blvd. leaving the Bellflower A&W? BTW, that was illegal. For some reason we were not hassled too much on Lakewood Blvd or in Hody'd drive in on Lakewood and Candlewood.

I think the only cops worse were the Downey PD. They wrote me a ticket for "too low" when all that was wrong was trunk full of groceries...3 bags of baby food in glass jars. They would hide in the "bushes" so to speak close to Harvey' Broiler.

Then their was 'OL judge Buttsbaugh (Bellflower court)...a nasty old lady that hated young kids. I think that she was meaner than Judge Judy. BTW, were you on the force when some kids wrapped a chain around a phone pole and the rear axle of a sheriff's car? Boy did that axle come out from underneath that car. LOL LOL. I did not do it...but saw it. ROTFLOL.

Ya know, I think that was better time for young kids and their cars. At least we had lots of places to go and not really bother or hurt anyone. All we did was "cruise" around between different drive ins, play our music and "chat up girls". I don't think my '57 Olds would drift too well, but for its day it was quick and out run any '57 Chevy. The late 50's and early 60's was a fun time and a LONG time ogo.

Doublegranch

Bob:

I patrolled the six contract cities and Bellflower City Council would make the edicts for what they wanted for enforcement. That is why sometimes we had SEB out in force with the patty wagons etc. They did not want the Bikers up and down Bellflower Blvd... We also if you remember had foot patrol in that city....I did work a little traffic from time to time but mostly on the criminal side...Traffic was a pain due to all the court time you had to go to. I do remember something about some kids hooking up a chain and locking it around a pole....when the office came out and took off, it took his rear end off...I can't remember if I was on the force then or just a story I picked up my fellow brothers. When we meet I will tell you a story about Lakewood Blvd....I was in pursuit of a biker via Bellflower through all the side streets and we ended up on foot chasing him...I tackled him in the middle of Lakewood blvd with my gun in his head and looked up and saw traffic everywhere..Sky Night our Helicopter had units blocking all traffic watching me chase him....interesting, late evening...But no I did not write you a ticket for being a "Low Rider"....wasn't my thing. See you soon...

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Garry, a little off topic. SO, you were a "dreaded" Lakewood sheriff...HUH? Were you the guy that wrote me a ticket 2 times for "TOO LOW" in the same night on Bellflower Blvd. leaving the Bellflower A&W? BTW, that was illegal. For some reason we were not hassled too much on Lakewood Blvd or in Hody'd drive in on Lakewood and Candlewood.

I think the only cops worse were the Downey PD. They wrote me a ticket for "too low" when all that was wrong was trunk full of groceries...3 bags of baby food in glass jars. They would hide in the "bushes" so to speak close to Harvey' Broiler.

Then their was 'OL judge Buttsbaugh (Bellflower court)...a nasty old lady that hated young kids. I think that she was meaner than Judge Judy. BTW, were you on the force when some kids wrapped a chain around a phone pole and the rear axle of a sheriff's car? Boy did that axle come out from underneath that car. LOL LOL. I did not do it...but saw it. ROTFLOL.

Ya know, I think that was better time for young kids and their cars. At least we had lots of places to go and not really bother or hurt anyone. All we did was "cruise" around between different drive ins, play our music and "chat up girls". I don't think my '57 Olds would drift too well, but for its day it was quick and out run any '57 Chevy. The late 50's and early 60's was a fun time and a LONG time ogo.

Bob.....We did the same thing in the San Fernando Valley. Would drive from Bobs Big Boy in Van Nuys up Van Nuys Blvd to the Big Boy in San Fernando. Just cruise from one to the other all nite long.

One night was with my friend Gary and was beside a car with two great looking girls. One turned out(later on) to be come my wife of almost 50 years(next year).

Yes , those were great times.

Bob&Patty

Garry, I don't remember many "beat" cops on the streets or many bikers in my time in Lakewood, Downey, Bellflower etc etc. Maybe my times in these areas were way before you were on the force. Yes we pushed some rules and laws....but that what teenagers do. Spreading our wings so to speak. Railing against the man. But, in our times "cruising" no one was shooting at each other, blasting radios...maybe someone got punched in nose for flirting with your girl. Drag racing on Cherry St. in N. Long Beach....not us, we would never do that just because there was a 1/4 mile marked off. We never would have an 'OL drunk buy us beer....not us. Never TP someones house....never happen. AAAH the good old days.

Jim, if we had the gas money we would go the Bob's Big Boy in Pasadena. We had a Big Boy in Lakewood but not a drive in. We did get asked to leave one night.....long story. I will say the waitress was a cutie. Then their was the redheaded carhop at Hody's....HOLY MOLEY. Yes one of the girls we met one night...I did marry and we had 2 kids and thats a long story also. We did not go up to the valley very much. We had Lion's drag strip in Long Beach.

Last edited:

Doublegranch

Bob: I graduated from the LASO Academy in June of 1975.. So that will give you a little time reference...
The foot patrol was only at the request of the Bellflower Council...generally Thur - Sat evening...but not every week.

Bob&Patty

1975 was way after Jim's and my time. Things did change alot after the late '50's and early '60's. Most of the drive ins we hung out at were closed down and the kids were getting out of control. Bellflower A&W turned into a drive up dairy.

By 1975 I had a DW, 2 kids, a house and a stationwagon. I had worked at the Olds dealer in Downey for 11 years.

Last edited:

Doublegranch

Tucson Rodeo Rally was close to selling out so I added 5 additional Sites!
We currently now have 29 confirmed for a total of 35 sites.
A big Thank You to all who have booked this Rally....
6 sites open...Lets fill them up!!

JohnD

Tucson Rodeo Rally was close to selling out so I added 5 additional Sites!
We currently now have 29 confirmed for a total of 35 sites.
A big Thank You to all who have booked this Rally....
6 sites open...Lets fill them up!!

Can't wait!

And hey . . . we might have a new trailer by then!

We are looking at an Elkridge E292 or Prowler P292 5th-wheeler (both Heartlands with the same floor plan) . . .

Don't know for sure yet if we are going to make the jump (I really don't want to give up the back of my truck), but will be getting the axle work done on our Trail Runner next week, just in time for the Colorado HOC Shakeout Campout at Cherry Creek in three weeks.

Doublegranch

Hey John: That is exciting, possibly a new RV! Hope it works out for you...Remember what you give up in the back of the truck you now have a basement in the 5th wheel as well....

I am considering a 5th wheel Sundance...The XLT model triple slide...But have not had an opportunity to look at one yet. None in AZ that I have found. I hope to look at them in Goshen and who knows, maybe drive a new one home. The gross weight might be a slight problem for my 2500 Ram, I have a 55 gal fuel tank in the back and with that full, I am a couple lbs over by my calculations....so guess we will see. Of course all the literature says I can pull it, but I gave up hanging on the EDGE. Done it most of my life and don't want to place Dakota, Cheyenne or anyone else in jeopardy.

JohnD

Hey John: That is exciting, possibly a new RV! Hope it works out for you...Remember what you give up in the back of the truck you now have a basement in the 5th wheel as well....

I am considering a 5th wheel Sundance...The XLT model triple slide...But have not had an opportunity to look at one yet. None in AZ that I have found. I hope to look at them in Goshen and who knows, maybe drive a new one home. The gross weight might be a slight problem for my 2500 Ram, I have a 55 gal fuel tank in the back and with that full, I am a couple lbs over by my calculations....so guess we will see. Of course all the literature says I can pull it, but I gave up hanging on the EDGE. Done it most of my life and don't want to place Dakota, Cheyenne or anyone else in jeopardy.

Yes, we saw that Sundance as well . . . they had one inside the showroom.

The Elkridge and Prowler both have the same floor plan and triple slides as the Sundance, but weigh much less than the Sundance.

Plus the bed is not sideways in the bedroom like in the Sundance.

I think I am going to drive up to Loveland on Thursday or Friday to have a look at the Prowler as I haven't seen it in person yet.

Maybe have a look at those to cut down on weight.

Doublegranch

John:

Not sure which rigs you were looking at, the 285 TS XLT was the same weight as the Elkridge however you could load more in the Sundance according to the info. I asked the question why on the forum but didn't get a response. The Elkridge has almost twice the axle weight as the Sundance and yet the Gross weights are the same. Same floor plan etc. Not sure why the Sundance has axles that do not meet the Gross weight where the Elkridge has axles that exceed the gross weight. But I like the compliments of the Sundance,,,,but again have not seen either one in person. Let me know what you think. By the way the 285 does not have the sideways bed, it has a wardrobe slide out. 31.4 long

Doublegranch

Arizona Chapter Welcomes Kelly O Farnsworth and Helen Matte to our Tucson Rodeo Rally. They are from the MA Chapter and in November will be starting their full time experience in their new Landmark.
Kelly & Helen you selected a great Rally to begin your full time experience! Welcome and thanks for signing up for this Rally.
Safe Travels and can't wait to meet you both in Feb!

Mrsfish

Arizona Chapter Welcomes Kelly O Farnsworth and Helen Matte to our Tucson Rodeo Rally. They are from the MA Chapter and in November will be starting their full time experience in their new Landmark.
Kelly & Helen you selected a great Rally to begin your full time experience! Welcome and thanks for signing up for this Rally.
Safe Travels and can't wait to meet you both in Feb!

Oh wow- like that's not setting high expectations! Don't you think JohnD in chaps (only), bowling from Rodeo might be a little much or are you thinking - wth, throw them in the deep end? Oh well- I'm up for the challenge! Welcome to the party!

Doublegranch

Ann:

I guess we will see if JOHND is really able to pull off the Chaps (actually put them on) and bowling from "Rodeo"...Now I am not sure if I want my Chaps back if that is all he is wearing.....And I know he will have to bath my horse before I take him back!!!!!! But keep it going Ann, and we will see the Real Side of JohnD in Feb 2016!!!

Doublegranch

Tucson Rodeo Rally....we sold our initial block and added another 5 sites and now have a total of 3 sites remaining...
We will continue to add sites as needed, WE DON"T WANT TO LEAVE ANYONE OUT!!!!!
This is really a great diverse group of Attendees!!! Now if I can figure out what we will be cooking for the Pot Luck....

JohnD

Ann:

I guess we will see if JOHND is really able to pull off the Chaps (actually put them on) and bowling from "Rodeo"...Now I am not sure if I want my Chaps back if that is all he is wearing.....And I know he will have to bath my horse before I take him back!!!!!! But keep it going Ann, and we will see the Real Side of JohnD in Feb 2016!!!

Well . . . you know . . . they say that side of me is my best asset! :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Status
Not open for further replies.