Filling DEF Tank

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Buy a new dodge next year and you will be in the same boat...

Har Har Har...

I just go and fuel up also... I will never buy a new truck. Maybe. Sometime. If I have to. Can I borrow some money from you rich RVers?

BC

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
Please be advised that there is a TSB on the Chev. After refill the sensors do not reset the unit. Computer needs to be reflashed/reset and or the sensors changed. This has not affected all trucks. So keep it full if you are traveling a distance. Our traveling friends had this problem (we are on our way to Gillette) and there is no time to put their truck in the shop for repairs.

tom

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I like the "just put fuel in it and go". I seems so much simpler then worrying about another tank to keep full. The old dodges rule!

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
DEF was a huge concern for me when we were looking at replacing our TV. After doing all our research we ended up with the Ford in our sig. Even had the dealer include a jug in the deal. To date I have not had to fill it. It seems to need filled at about the same time it needs service. The truck is used primary for towing our Bighorn and gets very little use without a load.

Oh yea... I still love my Dodge but it can't hold a candle to the Ford as far a power goes.

PhotoPete

I was initially concerned about the def thing and overall performance as well. After many thousands of miles towing, i can say i have no problem with it. The emissions are clean, the power is good. For those that say they will never buy new, i suggest you keep an eye on the emission trends in this country. they are getting stricter and stricter. tomorrows truck will be cleaner than todays and may be a bigger concern for you than it is now!

my exhaust pipe is as clean today as when i bought it. I think thats a good thing. i have driven a lot of diesels in my life, todays new rigs are nothing short of great vehicles.

Pete

lwmcguir

DEF was a huge concern for me when we were looking at replacing our TV. After doing all our research we ended up with the Ford in our sig. Even had the dealer include a jug in the deal. To date I have not had to fill it. It seems to need filled at about the same time it needs service. The truck is used primary for towing our Bighorn and gets very little use without a load.

Oh yea... I still love my Dodge but it can't hold a candle to the Ford as far a power goes.
We have had similar experience. I still check the level occasionally and is always is >1/2 full. No need to carry it along as you will have plenty of time to refill it should it fall below the 1/2 indicator.

ILH

Everybody seems to be concerned about DEF. I'm not sure why - it's not expensive - and frankly, the benefits are great - no more diesel stink and no more black soot.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Everybody seems to be concerned about DEF. I'm not sure why - it's not expensive - and frankly, the benefits are great - no more diesel stink and no more black soot.

I'm sure there is a benefit to the DEF, but my 6.7 does not have any diesel stink and never gives off any black soot.

ILH

I should have included in my response that it is my understanding that the DEFreduces emissions overall.

ILH

Does anybody know if there are differences in DEF? I've only ever bought mine from my GM dealer.