Filling DEF Tank

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
:) Ford included that jug in the cost of the truck, same with the full tank of fuel.

Same as with the oil and tires too. The point I was making is that wanted to have some just in case but I haven't had to open it. Does it have a shelf life?

porthole

Retired
Approximatley 1 year, kept out of the sun.

DEF, SCR, DPF all lead to a cleaner diesel. All the new OTR trucks have it. And for me, don't think I'll ever go back to a smelly smoky staining diesel. I kind of like not having to scrub the soot off the side of the trailer every trip.

Harry

Same as with the oil and tires too. The point I was making is that wanted to have some just in case but I haven't had to open it. Does it have a shelf life?

Cody, DEF does have a shelf life. This is from Ford Motor Co.
For maximum shelf life store at 68deg to 23 deg.

Constant storage temp Shelf life
Less than 50deg 36 mos.
50deg to 77deg 18 mos.
77deg to 86deg 12 mos
86deg to 95deg 6 mos
95deg to 104 deg 2 mos
Do not store in direct sunlight
DEF will freeze below 12deg.
Shelf life should be based on the date time past the date code on the bottle. The date code is formatted
MMDDYY.

jbeletti

I have the Ford 6.7. I've towed with the truck about 3500 miles and just now had to add DEF for the first time. My hauler bed has the DEF filler in the cabinet that's across the top of the driver's side rear tires. I bought a jug of DEF at a fuel stop this week then again a couple days ago.

Went to use the first jug and no filler nozzle :( Opened up the box for the Blue DEF brand and it had a filler nozzle. Thank you Blue DEF. Added a whole jug (couple gallons?). Then used that nozzle on the first jug and added all but about a quart of it. Poured the remaining DEF into the Blue DEF just as it's lower/squattier and it fits in my cabinet better.

Interesting note, I wanted to use DEF "at the pump" at the Flying J here in Gillette. Went to the diesel lanes, saw the "DEF at the Pump" signs near the pumps. Guess what? No DEF at the pumps there yet. Jeez, give me some spray paint - I'll fix your signs for you :)

So, I've yet to "pump" any DEF into my tank, just jug dumping for now.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Has anyone used the DEF at Flying J or other Truck Stop pumps? Was just wondering if there were any issues with that since they are possibly designed for pumping the larger volumes the big rigs take?:confused:

pegmikef

Went to use the first jug and no filler nozzle :( Opened up the box for the Blue DEF brand and it had a filler nozzle. Thank you Blue DEF. Added a whole jug (couple gallons?). Then used that nozzle on the first jug and added all but about a quart of it. Poured the remaining DEF into the Blue DEF just as it's lower/squattier and it fits in my cabinet better.

That's why I stick with the MotoCraft stuff because it has a nice nozzle specifically designed for pouring it. It has its own air tube and it is almost spill proof using the nozzle. I had trouble with the Walmart stuff and its rinky dink nozzle. To me Ford's system is worth the couple of bucks difference.

porthole

Retired
Jim, when you get the below 1/2 half message you should be able to add one standard 2.5 gallon jug of DEF. I have gone several hundred miles past the 800 mile message and was just able to get two jugs in.
The tank is listed at holding 5 gallons but the reality seems to be closer to 6.

The commercial pumps should all be the same "small" nozzle. Theses nozzles are signed to work with the magnetic adapters in OTR truck tanks. This adapter prevents the DEF from flowing if the magnetic valve is not released by the adapter. This is to keep the accidental addition of DEF into the diesel tank. And the small DED filler should prevent diesel in that tank. Should is a misnomer, if you try you can ( good reason to to loan you truck out).

At commercial pumps you may need to go inside and borrow this adapter. Or, add you own to your tank.

http://www.jmesales.com/product/opw-21gu-mis-filling-prevention-devices,9120,7258.htm

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
This is a dumb question but what is DEF made from? I know what it is used for but what is its composition?

Tombstonejim

A: Urea is the active ingredient of Diesel Exhaust Fluid. Urea is created from synthetic ammonia and carbon dioxide when subjected to high heat and pressure and can be produced as a liquid or solid. Synthetic urea is used mainly in fertilizers but is used in plastics, animal feed, cleaning agents, and pharmaceutical applications.

i talked to my service department at the dealer who said bring the truck by even it you dont need anything else they will pump it straight in from the bulk tanks for about 6 dollars a gallon. i think that is a good price compared to gallon jugs how much is it at the truck stops i have not seen it?

pegmikef

i talked to my service department at the dealer who said bring the truck by even it you dont need anything else they will pump it straight in from the bulk tanks for about 6 dollars a gallon. i think that is a good price compared to gallon jugs how much is it at the truck stops i have not seen it?

I don't know, but I have been paying around fifteen dollars at my dealer's parts department for the two and a half gallon jug with nozzle. I usually carry one when traveling because we go to kind of remote parks (e.g., Big Bend).

ILH

I just bought a jug on Friday - 2 1/2 gallon jug for approx $14. I got it from my GM dealer.