Ford rules :)

scottyb

I'm surprised that Ford is offering the 4.30's in the F350. I wanted it and it wasn't available in 2013. Now that I have driven mine 11 months and 33K, I'm glad they didn't. I dead-headed from PHX to AUS and back to PHX in Nov. Those 4.30's would have had that engine cranking some rpm's at 80 mph on I-10. The truck will pull more with 3.73's than you should really pull with a F350, 3500, 3500 HD. I see no need for the 4.30's.

dave10a

Ford is very guilty of the Misleading Marketing BS. There is a video on YouTube with all three 2014 models competing. Ford won with the F350. They won because they put a F350 with 4.30 gears against a Dodge 800ftlb (not the 850) and with 68RFE trans rather then the updated Aisin mated to the 850ftlb engine. Then DPM does their own test and Dodge blows the doors off of everybody. Typically Ford wins in the DPM Big Three Challenge. That is the least bit bias competition. .

Dodges 3500 is not even close to a 4500 model. Frame and axles are much smaller then what is found in the Dodge 4500.

Here is the Video that Ford produced
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYFQ3np02Q&desktop_uri=/watch?v=MDYFQ3np02Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD
they are all guilty of misleading the public-- nothing new about that. However, it is all about horse power, torque curves and weight. Physics is still in charge and what we as humans think is little concern to the laws of physics. Ford, GM and Chrysler all have excellent engineers and they do have great products and it is very irrational to choose one over the other based on brand loyalty. Saying that I have second thoughts about Chrysler for political reasons and not engineering/design reasons. Politically Ford has done better at managing its resources and finances than either GM or Chrysler. However, I now think more (politically) of Ford than I do GM or Chrysler these days.

mzcummins

They all have taken our money (government money), Ford borrowed money before the bailout to Chrysler and GM

sent using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
In reality, it was two 4X4 trucks pulling out a stuck 5ver. I wager that had the situation been reversed, the same end result would have occurred.

It's always been fun though picking on the other brand.

We occasionally have to pull boats out of the ocean and up onto a beach. Sometimes one truck will do. Sometimes not. There are times no matter what the lead truck is, a bit more pull from anything will give the "worker" the edge it needs. Just helping the spinning tires keep their forward motion is enough.

One of our most memorable pulls was - race boat sunk in the surf, pulled by a Dodge, being pulled by a GMC, being pulled by a F-350 that was winched to an excavator.

their two wheel drive spun out quick. Enter me and the F350 4x4. I hooked a chain to the front of their truck and pulled them, crew, trailer and all up the drive without spinning a tire. Needless to say they were impressed.

:rolleyes: See above. An all wheel drive Edge might have done the same.

I have been pulled out by Fords, Chevys, Cats, John Deeres, Komatsu, and a few others. When someone is willing to pull you out, you don't ask "what kind of truck are you driving"

Ah yup!

I just wish Ford would make a truck that didn't always look like it was overloaded when hauling a trailer.

Me too. And in that video posted it is obvious they still haven't addressed that issue.

All fords even the 7.3 had issues
All dodges had issues

Guess what!!! All Chevys had issues.

When I was in the automotive field, something I learned, all cars have busy service departments. Some just busier then others.
One Ford Chrysler Toyota store I worked for kept teh Toyos in a separate service department. They were better then the other two, but Toyo mangers didn't want the Ford and Chrysler customers seeing just how busy they were.

After working on the Dodge side for 6 months, I was convinced I would never own a Ford.

It was an article in Yahoo online. I read it. It basically said it was too heavy and overpowered for most people to be an everyday driver. In other words, it had all the qualities we trailer pullers want and need!

Makes you wonder if they actually read what they write.

dave10a

They all have taken our money (government money), Ford borrowed money before the bailout to Chrysler and GM

sent using Tapatalk
Most if not all companies borrow money form time to time-- and repay it with interest. We the taxpayer took a hit on the Chrysler and GM bailout. For example the government bought GM stock at near $50/share and sold it at $35 which is a loss to the taxpayer. What really happened for GM and Chrysler is we bailed out the unions not the companies. I'm not trying to be political, but factual :)

priorguy

After working on the Dodge side for 6 months, I was convinced I would never own a.

Funny you say that, I know mechanics that want to own the cars they know best and have the best priced parts. Once you know what all the common problems are it's quick and easy to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
I've owned many Fords and one GM. The GM was as good as any Ford I have owned. I had never considered owning a Dodge, but now I wouldn't mind owning one. I may jump off into one of their 1500 3.0 diesels after they shake down all the 1st year issues.

By the time I got my license I was a die-hard MOPAR fan, Road Runners, Chargers, Darts etc
When I bought my Jeep I convinced myself because they were owned by Chrysler.
When I was working in various Chrysler dealers for 18+ years I always bought new Dodge's.

But, after I left the auto world for my current career.........
When it was time to give up my Dodge Dakota after 9 years (really liked that little truck), and not having worked for Chrysler dealers for 8 years - I jumped ship and bought a Tahoe.

Really liked that truck until I was ready ot go back to a pickup. Researched the big three, ( and a little with honda PU) and ended up with what I thought was the best value at the time, a 2006 GMC 2500HD

When it was time for an upgrade for he Cyclone it was once again a lot of research. I had been following the Scorpion project since I first heard about it.
So when the day the rear sliding electric "heated" window became available I put my order in for the F-350 DRW
In December 2010 it was the best bang for my buck, even though of the 3 it was the highest priced.

When the next truck is on the horizon I will again do my research and pick the best for us, who know, with factory 4 link air ride, I may once again be a Dodge owner.

BTW, if you wan to see a "real" Ford versus Dodge run off - with no advertiser support - here ya go.
Maybe a little unfair since it is a Ram DRW versus a Raptor :rolleyes:

porthole

Retired
The actual artical was written by Consumer Reports, then summarized in various newspapers. Here is the exact words from Consumer Reports Worst Values:

"The F-250 is best suited for towing or hauling heavy loads, but handling is very clumsy even for a heavy-duty pickup truck. The ride is stiffer and snappier than in the F-150's, but slightly better than in some heavy-duty competitors. The 6.7-liter V8 is mated to a six-speed automatic. The high floor makes access difficult. Convenience items include built-in controls for proportional braking when towing a trailer. The very low emergency-handling scores and below average reliability prevent us from recommending the F-250."

Interesting this says the ride is stiffer and snappier but better than some HD competitors.. I would count that a plus. Anyway, I agree with the tag line - Ford Rules

How do you compare any diesel towing truck to a 150 - 1500 series? May as well add the Ridgeline to the comparison.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
they are all guilty of misleading the public-- nothing new about that. However, it is all about horse power, torque curves and weight. Physics is still in charge and what we as humans think is little concern to the laws of physics. Ford, GM and Chrysler all have excellent engineers and they do have great products and it is very irrational to choose one over the other based on brand loyalty. Saying that I have second thoughts about Chrysler for political reasons and not engineering/design reasons. Politically Ford has done better at managing its resources and finances than either GM or Chrysler. However, I now think more (politically) of Ford than I do GM or Chrysler these days.

I own a Ford for what it is worth. But I feel Dodge build a better pickup. That is comparing what I know. 2007 Dodge against my current 2012 Ford. To me my old 07 dodge is a better built pickup then my 12'.

Not sure where brand loyalty plays into that as GM, Dodge, and Ford has made alot of money off of me through the years. None to date have given me a pickup yet... Still waiting though.

Just as GM and Dodge have taken funds from the Gov don't think for one minute the big dogs at Ford aren't rubbing elbows with the Gov to benefit one another. Politically Ford is just as screwed up as Dodge and GM. All three heavily grease the pockets of the liberal politics during campaigning season.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
How do you compare any diesel towing truck to a 150 - 1500 series? May as well add the Ridgeline to the comparison.

Also the F250 is best suited for heavy towing. I guess the F350 in my driveway needs to go and I need to upgrade to a F250 for towing.

SailorDon

There is one Heartland owner that posts to these forums that might not agree with your title statement.
This is what he "jassson007" lists for his rig

2008 F350 4wd Dually loaded black (her truck):rolleyes:
2014 Heartland Big Country 3450 TS :cool::cool:

From his posts to the North Texas Chapter of Events and Rallies, 3 weeks ago he blew out the engine in his F-350 on the way to the Canton, TX rally.
On his way home, it quit. (Found On the Road Dead)
Ended up having it towed to the Ford dealer in Athens, TX where they put in a new motor.
And it only had 109,000 miles on it. It was barely broken in!

I love my Ford F-150, but I sure hope I don't encounter an experience like that.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
There is one Heartland owner that posts to these forums that might not agree with your title statement.
This is what he "jassson007" lists for his rig

2008 F350 4wd Dually loaded black (her truck):rolleyes:
2014 Heartland Big Country 3450 TS :cool::cool:

From his posts to the North Texas Chapter of Events and Rallies, 3 weeks ago he blew out the engine in his F-350 on the way to the Canton, TX rally.
On his way home, it quit. (Found On the Road Dead)
Ended up having it towed to the Ford dealer in Athens, TX where they put in a new motor.
And it only had 109,000 miles on it. It was barely broken in!

I love my Ford F-150, but I sure hope I don't encounter an experience like that.

Well I went and bought another one tonight too. Guess I don't learn very fast. Lol. No I just didn't trust it any more as it was blowing white smoke last weekend but had not done it since but got a great deal on the new truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grey Ghost

I now own a F-250 and just love it, so far, about 20,000 miles so far and doing great. I've owned Chevy's before and tow with friends that have Dodges. The Dodge people tell me they love the engine and the tranny, however the rest of truck just is falling part around them. The Chevy people seem to be pleased with their tranny and the engine and don't have problems of things falling off the truck, I just love my new ford tranny and so far the engine has preformed well. I do all the required maintenance as suggested and religiously change the oil every 5,000 miles. I don't know if one is that much better than the other, I suppose it all goes to which one makes you happy. So far I'm :) with my Ford. This is the FIRST Ford I have every owned!:cool:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I now own a F-250 and just love it, so far, about 20,000 miles so far and doing great. I've owned Chevy's before and tow with friends that have Dodges. The Dodge people tell me they love the engine and the tranny, however the rest of truck just is falling part around them. The Chevy people seem to be pleased with their tranny and the engine and don't have problems of things falling off the truck, I just love my new ford tranny and so far the engine has preformed well. I do all the required maintenance as suggested and religiously change the oil every 5,000 miles. I don't know if one is that much better than the other, I suppose it all goes to which one makes you happy. So far I'm :) with my Ford. This is the FIRST Ford I have every owned!:cool:
F'd Over Rebuilt Dodge . . .

I'm on my sixth Dodge truck over the years . . . and I've had great luck with every one of them!

I've had three Ford trucks . . . didn't have much luck with them . . . and I've never owned a GM truck.

I think I said that in an earlier post here . . . oh well!

My current truck (1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4) has been the best one yet!

When I bought it all of my friends told me the tranny would die before I reached 50,000 miles . . . and the engine would blow up by 75,000 miles.

Right now it has 162,253 miles on it . . . still has the original tranny, motor and exhaust system on it!

Other than tires, brakes, water pump, catalytic converter, battery and radiator . . . almost everything else is still original!

I did have all new shocks, front end parts and U-joints replaced about 10,000 miles ago just to be on the safe side.

It is getting kind of tired and has a couple of small leaks, and the 4-wheel drive isn't working right now (vacuum leak), so I am thinking about retiring it in the next year or so.

I want to keep it when I get a new truck . . . but my wife says I can't (DOH!).

I love my truck . . .

TaosTruckAtGorge-P1020821.jpg Campout2012CampingWorld-PC270075.jpg

I will probably get another Dodge Ram . . . but I will look at Ford and GM when I start my truck shopping.

adamo

HAHA... nice OP!.. I have a Ford F-250 w/ 6.4L PSD and a similar story to yours except mine involved a Peterbuilt with a 53' Box trailer who had pulled of in some loose gravel off the side of the road in front of my house and dug himself in pretty good. I went outside to see what was going on and offered to give him a hand. One log chain and about 5 minutes later I had him pulled out and back on the road. I did a no-no and put her in 4x4 Low out on the paved road but 'eh. I made sure to point her straight ahead and no harm no foul.

Didn't take much though, just enough to get that big rig to bite into some solid ground, still how I wished I could have had it on camera. Would have made one helluva Ford commercial. HAHA!