Give Heartland your feedback on the 2012 Landmark - what do you want?

HowardBJr

HowardBJr
The recommendations below would give you about 2 inches of additional headroom in the bedroom of all Heartland products for "free." At 6' 2" (not exactly NBA height) I can clear most of the items placed on the ceiling above the walk area around our queen bed. However with my shoes on I've hit my head on just about every thing mounted to the ceiling. You would think I'd learn. To me it would be a selling point to be able to walk in the bedroom area and not have to duck all the time. These recommendations would also increase the percentage of the population that could use your mid-profile products.

Move the following items located in the ceiling to be under the footprint of the queen size bed option:
1. Light fixtures to run with the length of the coach vice side to side
2. Move the smoke and propane detector

Move the two bedroom speakers towards the door side exterior wall so you don't hit your head on them

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
1. WE ALSO WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO SWAP THE CHAIR WITH THE COUCH
2. We also have a concern about the dining room chairs
3. In the udc I would like to see a switch so that the fresh water tank can be filled while hooked to city water without using the hose, alphas have had this for several years and most coaches have this feature.
4. We like the steps, even our little dog can climb up and my DW is handicapped and has little trouble
5 Like the stair lights outside and in side
6 Bettter coupler for the outside water for shower, ours stopped coupling first trip, cannot find replacement to match water hose, really like this feature. very good for bathing the dog
7. Heavier springs, ours are flatening out already and we weight before every trip. Never had this problem before
8 Really Really Really like the sewer boom. makes everyone jealous when we set up and pack up
9 Have to do something about the dust , we always have dust after traveling, covers everything
10 We still love our augusta

Keep the design going and, I understand you must trade off extras with price point and competition, so far you are doing good.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I am considering buying a 2012 Landmark myself, so I really think many of these great ideas, if incorporated, would really differentiate the Big Horn from the Landmark.
Some changes I would like:
1. 2 year bumper to hitch and 5 year frame Warranty from Heartland.
2. Quadra leveling system standard. This system utilizing the Big Foot, which lifts the tires off the ground, and eliminates the need for other methods of stabilizing.
3. Mor/Ryde independent suspension with disc brakes, with never lube bearings is a must, then one wouldn't have to worry about troublesome suspension systems including axles, shocks and springs.
4. Beefier, sturdier frame that would support an accidental drop of 5'.
5. Better living room entertainment systems standard including larger TV's with swivels.
6. Scrap the all-in-one bathrooms. My biggest problem is that it makes the bedroom look extremely small, with pinch points between the bed and bathroom walls and posts. I hate the idea that I have to walk thru the bathroom to get to the front of the bed. It would be nice to walk up the stairs, and view a large bedroom. I suggest having a larger shower, vanity, then the bed in that order on the left, and the bathroom, washer/dryer room, and then the dresser on the right. I also like the the storage area at the top of the stairs on the floor.
7. Stronger, more stable 4 step stairs into the coach.
8. Optional open entertainment island in the kitchen without a sink that doesn't have a back-splash.
9. Standard larger water heater, 12 gallon minimum.
10. 2-3000 watt inverter standard and solar panels optional.
11. Better recessed lighting with LED's standard.
12. CPAP/BIPAP connector in bedroom, including charger availability option.
13. Small nightstands for CPAP/BIPAP's.
14. Furniture areas deep enough to swap recliners and couch, or give the option of a couch in the rear area.
15. Better QC from factory, and better training on PDI's for Dealers.

That's all I can recommend right now, but I will keep on thinking about it.

lwmcguir

One option we miss that was an option on our Yellowstone is the switchable led night lights through out the coach. The lights were all a floor level and very convenient.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The Landmark should have the "big boy" package to include a wider door and wider steps which would accommodate wheel chair access to the coach. The wider steps would make it more stable footing for the older RV crowd. Remember the majority of upper end RV purchasers are older who may have mobility problems.

lwmcguir

A lot of folks would like to suspension upgrades. If I were to go with anything besides regular springs it would be Dexter Torsion axles. They are virtually no maintenance and have a track record longer than any other suspension system out there. They are on more heavy trailers as well as cargo and so on. We have never had to do any maintenance on a single one in the past 40 or so years when we got the first one on stock trailers. We run them on the small trailers and mid size as well as the heavy trailers when they are offered as options or standard equipment. A typical livestock trailer that is 7/24 will have two axles with Dexter Torsion standard. The aluminum trailer will weight in around 7K. Put a dozen cows in weighing around 1500 pounds and you can go down the road with no problems for many many years. Best axles made by far for the mid range service. That would truly be an upgrade or an excellent option package.

jpajax

Would like to see a different floor plan that might help the handicap by putting the kitchen or living room on the upper level and the bedroom and bath on the lower level. Also, would like a smaller unit in the high end, like a 28 or 30 with a king size bed for just two people, no kids or grand kids.

Last edited:

2010augusta

Okay, so I am thinking way out of the box and want a bathroom slide. something like this:

2011_LM_proto_3.jpg

Creates a very spacious bath area might be able to fit a much larger shower.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Great idea Alan - but I can foresee a few issues with the shower drain. Would need a very flexible, yet strong pipe system.

2010augusta

Great idea Alan - but I can foresee a few issues with the shower drain. Would need a very flexible, yet strong pipe system.

Completely agree, but there are some great reinforce hoses out there for drainage. I have not seen a bathroom slide before, but I think I have seen a kitchen sink in a slide, so a shower and a vanity can't be much harder.

Heartland could be the first with a bathroom slide.

mikeandconnie

I like it Young Fulltimers. I would love to upgrade to this plan. But I would like a wall to keep the bedroom private from the bath like the Pinhurst.

Tom of Ypsi

Do not know if this has been suggested but how about insulated front and rear caps.
Can you give us some insight on what you are looking for? If looking for a fulltime coach then most of these mentioned ideas are valid. If looking for just redesigning the Landmark line into just a weekend or extended stay camper then the elimination process of these ideas is easy.

fdmckee

We are looking to purchase a Landmark in about a year, but have also been looking at the Cameo's and Select Suites and saw some nice features in these. The next coach will be our full-time "home" and we need things to last, even if it means we have to pay a little more.
So this is what we are looking for in our new coach:

-Wall hugger recliners & better quality leather furniture that will hold up.
-Better quality window treatments.
-Like the wood blinds very much, but would like to see the wood-trim around the windows come back again, as it makes the coach feel more like a home.
-Better carpeting and pad, maybe even a berber carpet or one that will hold up to heavy traffic.
-Wood or wood tile (like the one in the kitchen area) on the steps and hallway instead of carpet.
-We LOVE the dining table configuration that "Tom of Ypsi" posted!! Have seen this in motorhomes and in the Big Sky & love that setup with counter, drawers & cabinets.
-Two dining chairs and two extra folding chairs.
-Eliminate fluorescent ceiling lights and replace with all recessed lighting with dimmer switches.
-Put wall plugs "on the walls" instead of under the cabinets in kitchen.
-Put the kitchen and living room ceiling light switches on the wall where you can get at them instead of in the cabinet with the slide-out and awning switches.
-Make storage under the bed larger, even if it makes the bed higher.
-Make the bedroom a bit more roomier, so we don't have to turn sideways to get around the bed.
-Would like to see more storage in the bathroom and drawers in the vanity.
-110 volt residential refrigerator.
-Seal coach better to eliminate so much dust.
-Better insulation in slides.
-No plastic plumbing fittings and better wiring.
-More reliable tank sensors.
-"Big Foot" leveling system.
-Better suspension & disc brakes.
-Storage area in the back of the coach underneath the back window (like in the Carri-Lite).
-Market the Landmark as a "full-timing" coach.

fcycle

We currently have a 2009 Bighorn 3670RL. Changes I would like to see in the Heartland Luxury line in general are:

1). A little more headroom in the bedroom. I'm 6'4" and I hit the speakers and the front end where the ceiling tapers downward.
2). More space on the bathroom side of the bed.
3). More space for getting seated at the table. Those of us with bloated girths suffer.
4). The graphics on all of the units are over the top for my taste. Elegance would be great.
5). Speaking of elegance, the wood trim around the slides on the inside are also a bit over the top. Something more subtle and sophisticated.
6). Easy access to a water manifold.
7). Holding tank plumbing that does not create an initial dumping of water when the cap is removed after traveling.
8). Holding tank status indicators that are accurate. Perhaps external sensors.
9). Much better carpet.
10). Receiver hitch either standard or as an option.
11). Better frame paint that will resist rusting much longer than the current paint.
12), Two year bumper to bumper manufacturers warranty.

We believe Heartland gives buyers the most bang for their buck at all price points.

Marguerite & Fred Meyers
Cincinnati, OH
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
2005 Dodge 3500 RAM quad cab, CTD, Auto, LWB, DRW

ihsolutions

Something I just thought of after getting back from a trip:

While I love the "welcome back" light on my 3670RL, I wish there was a way to switch it off or override it automatically coming on when the door is open. It has the unintended negative side effect of also "welcoming" in all the bugs outside that are attracted to light. In certain areas, at certain times of year, this can be a MAJOR problem. I nearly severed my daughter's achilles in my rush to slam the door behind her, to keep the lake flies out on one trip.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
excellent feedback!! thank you. We are working right now on product enhancements to the Landmark that will debut later this year. All of your suggestions will be taken into serious consideration - I'm confident the RV enthusiast will be impressed!

Coley, after rereading this thread I was wondering what if any of these suggestions HL is planning to use.

Will these changes that you are making be on the market for the 2012 production year?

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
I have 2 items.

1.) I'm a big fan of seamless window frames.
2.) How about a pressure switch or sensor to tell you when you are off your hitch !! With hyd landgear work so much faster this could cause more frame issues.

DougS

Doug S
We own a 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon which we love, and the changes we would like are minor, however, added together I guess they would add up. We travel most of the time instead of sitting in one place. Many of these ideas have already been covered.

1- Better running gear, axles, after my problems which have been resolved, we would think this would be #1.
2- Vinyl floor option in main living area like front of fireplace.
3- Vinyl flooring option for stairs and hallway.
4- Manafold plumbing like in your early model years, but behind basement wall.
5- Move light switches for kitchen and living area to under the thermostats outside of closet.
6. Slam doors for battery door and front storage door.
7. Different kitchen sink faucet, design is nice, however, operation is downward motion, may come on during travel.
8. BBQ quick connection for outside.
9. Electric steps option for outside entry.
10. True day/night shades or wood blinds for bedroom.
11. Kitchen cabinet easy to reach, wide enough for plates to lay flat.
12. Remote wireless switch for fireplace.
13. Lock for sliding bathroom/bedroom door.
14. Inverter option, big enough to run micro.
15. Upgrade carpet.
16. Individual switches for outside scare/spot lights, both come on at once.
17. Love the sewer boom, but it is only held on with a cotter pin, already.
18. Rope lighting for night lights on small shelf at ceiling in bedroom both sides of bedroom TV.
19. Wet bolts and brass bushings.

Keep all the items you already have, these are just improvement ideas. Again axles are the #1 item to a dress. Again, we love our Grand Canyon.