Houston 2009 Spring rally

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Jim, I hate it that you're gonna miss out on the party that we're having before the rally. Im sure that we'll have some stories to tell.

Bob, I'm going to do my best for the rally weather and it looks pretty good right now. Its raining so hard tonight that we've lost our satellite cable tv, but I hope it will blow over soon.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Earlier I was wondering where the heck Margarita-ville was, now I know where ... at Rayford Crossing ROTFLMAO

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Just a few things to do around rayford crossing campground for you early birds and newbies. Shop in old town spring is a given if you have never been.

1. Leaving the campground and heading toward i-45. At one of the red lights (richard rd.) turn right and go about 1 block on your right. country time bbq is at 25330 richard rd. Spring, tx. Small place but very good bbq.
2. Hit i-45 and head north to exit 77. Good mexican food is at lupe tortilla mex. Rest., 19437 i-45s conroe, tex. 77385.
3. Little further north is the headquarters for the women shoppers. (exit 77) sam moon is at 17941 i-45 s, shenandoah, tx. 77385. Open 9:30 - 7 pm, closed sunday.
3. Head further north to conroe, tx. If you have time to exit 91. outlets at conroe, has over 40 stores, 1111 league rd. Conroe, tx. 77303. Open 10-8, 11-6 sunday
4. Head back south toward rayford. Exit 79 on your right will be garden ridge pottery (lots more than pottery), 16778 i-45 s, conroe, tx. 77384. Open 9-10, 10-7 sunday.
5. Head south to exit 77 on your right. the woodlands mall, 1201 lake woodlands dr. The woodlands, tx. 77380. Open 10-9, 11-7 sunday. Tons of stores and many restaurants circle the mall. You can get lost easily and never come out of the woods so bring bread crumbs for a trail home.
6. Head south to exit 59 to fry's electronics, 10241 n. Freeway (i-45), houston, tx. 77037. Open 9-9, 9-7 on sunday. Huge store and tons of computer stuff, phones, appliances and etc.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just a few things to do around rayford crossing campground for you early birds and newbies.

1. Head south to exit 59 to fry's electronics, 10241 n. Freeway (i-45), houston, tx. 77037. Open 9-9, 9-7 on sunday. Huge store and tons of computer stuff, phones, appliances and etc.

NO.... NO.... NO.....!!!! :mad:
Shopping is not allowed.. We are all at the limits of our towing capacity.. Remember Something in Something out...

Unless it is computer equipment, drills, wrenches and things need to keep the RV in good shape and rolling...:rolleyes:

Lets not cause a lot of confusion and acid reflux.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Anyone have a suggestion to the best route from the Rockport area to Spring.

It looks like it would be better to go up the Troll... Sorry Toll road, and pay again to use our highways.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Anyone have a suggestion to the best route from the Rockport area to Spring.

It looks like it would be better to go up the Troll... Sorry Toll road, and pay again to use our highways.
Bobcat, If you're going to hit Houston after 10AM just take 59 up to 610 and around to 45 north. Traffic shouldn't be too bad. That's the route we'll be taking.

jimtoo

Bob,
If you can hit Houston between 9am and 11am or 1pm and 3 pm... I would go from where you are to Tivoli then to Victoria and hit Hwy 59 to Houston to Loop 610 then around to IH 45 North to Rayford exit. This is Free.
Or if you want on the way in on Hwy 59 take the Beltway 8 (toll road) North to IH 45 and then to Rayford exit.... Last time I was on beltway with trailer is was about $13.00 for that toll road.. they go by axles..
But any time before 9am and after 4pm be prepared for lots of delays... stops and starts...
Jim M

jmgratz

Houston rush hours are from about 6am-10am and then 12noon-130pm, and finally 330pm-630pm. The rest of the time there is just heavy traffic. If you can spend the money the toll road (Beltway 8) is the best route from 59 to Rayford Crossing. Trust the retired Houston Cop to get you through the Houston traffic the fastest way.

jayc

I agree that Beltway 8 is probably the fastest way to come to Rayford but the cost and aggravation of going through the toll booths might keep me off them. I have the EZ tag, which by the way is good state-wide for toll roads, so going around the beltway is very easy.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I agree with the route by staying off the toll road. Driving an rv is costly on it.

Or, you can do as our employee did, she hit the toll road, got in the far left lane (for ez tag users only) and pulled up to pay the toll. They didn't have a toll booth in that lane. About that time a big truck behind them hit his horn and brakes, her husband then hit the gas and took off to avoid being hit. They figured you must pay when you get off and stayed in the ez tag lane the rest of the trip thru houston. I told her she would get a fine in the mail, but she never did. I guess they saw her louisiana plates and figured she had never been on a toll road before and let her go. True story.

jayc

People do the craziest things on the toll road. Sometimes thats reason enough to stay off because of all the nuts on the road. I saw a car that was completely flattened by an 18 wheeler that couldn't stop. The car had stopped because they had been in the EZ tag lane and stopped because they didn't have the tag and were afraid of getting in trouble.

jmgratz

After reading about all of the good food I think we will all need to sign up for The Biggest Loser after we finish eating. LOL

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What night is the pot luck? We have a gift card for Pappas that we have to use before we leave TX and Houston is our last chance.

jayc

Ray, the potluck dinner is Saturday night. From the looks of the sign up sheet, none of us will be eating much on Sunday after this feast!

jayc

Well, the party is starting.....

Bill and Ornell got here yesterday and the fun is beginning. Come on down, the weather's fine and the fun is here.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
well, the party is starting.....

Bill and ornell got here yesterday and the fun is beginning. Come on down, the weather's fine and the fun is here.

jay - party is not officially starting till we get there! There shall be no drinking, streaking, skinny dipping, pole dancing, flashing, strip poker, or other fun stuff going on. You here me! Some of us still have a day job!!!
Kenny

jayc

Well, I am like tom was in October last year, a rose among thorns. Four Prevost busses pulled in and parked beside me, and they keep looking over at my rig in envy. I've told a couple of them that my trailer is not for sale, even an even trade on their new Prevost. They will have to kick in some money to get my Bighorn!