Ice Maker Poll - give Heartland your feedback

Ice Maker in the RV

• We have one built into our RV refer and we use it often. We'd want it the same way in our next RV.

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • We have one built into our RV refer and we rarely to never use it. We'd rather have more space.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • We have one built into our RV refer but we prefer to use our portable ice maker.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • We do NOT have one built into our RV refer and we use our portable ice maker.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • We do NOT have one built into our RV refer and we use little to no ice, we obtain ice as needed.

Votes: 17 18.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jbeletti

Heartland would like to hear from you on how you feel about the ice maker built into your RV refer. Please vote in this poll if you care to share your feelings on this. Your feedback is always appreciated and is often used to guide product decisions. Thank you.

PS: All votes are counted in the totals but voter's identities are not visible. This poll will close in 2 weeks (26-July)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It seems that those with the standard size refer tend to want the space back that was taken up by the ice maker.
We have the four door refer with ice maker and love it. Plenty of space left over.
I also have an inline filter so we make ice wherever we are.
We had the portable ice maker in the last rig and it worked great as well, but the built in is better. At least for us.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

We rarely use ours but we'd like to keep it - survey didn't offer that choice. Since the bin is removable, we can use most of the space when space is the priority and make ice when that's the priority.

The real problem for us is that it can't be used in the winter. I have to evacuate the water to keep the line from freezing, even though I'm using the RV for a good bit of the winter. It'd be more valuable if someone could design a water line system that only went through heated areas of the RV. Right now, that's called ice cube trays.:rolleyes:

Birchwood

We shut down the ice maker in our four door fridge after 2 months of ownership.We enjoy the extra freezer space
and rarely use ice and if we do will use a little ice tray.We really enjoy the water dispenser !

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Forgot 1 category:

"We do NOT have one built into our RV refer and we use ice cube trays."

OR does "portable" include the old fashion ice cube tray? :rolleyes:

Tombstonejim

WE have one and take ice everyday for our water bottles. Anyone who does not use it must not be in Tucson or Phoenix area. We do have the large 4 door model so space is not a problem. If we had one of the small ones and it took half the freezer compartment then i probably would think different.

FlyerChief

We just downsized from a Class A, which had an icemaker in the 4-door refer. We used it to make ice and loved the convenience. Our new BH has the smaller, 2-door frig with no icemaker. When we first looked at the BH on the dealer lot, it was something we both noticed - "Oh look, no icemaker ;-(" So.....we would REALLY like to have an icemaker....but we will find alternative methods now that we don't have one.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
It would be nice to have had an option of, I don't have a built-in Icemaker but would use it if I had the option.

brianharrison

We have one built into the RV refer, REMOVED IT to make more room in the freezer, and use our portable ice maker.

Brian

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have the four door refer with ice maker and love it. Plenty of space left over.
Peace
Dave

Dave , We agree.
I think some of it depends on the fact that we are in a warm dry climate much of the time. Trace

CliffP

None of the above. We are planning on getting a portable one of these days as we do use some ice, just have more important things to spend money on right now.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Should we ever get a refer with an ice maker, we would want to take it out and use the space for food. We like our portable for those times when we need fresh ice.
Kristy

tcfake613

We must use a lot of ice! We have one in the 3685 AND we have a portable and use both all the time. The one in the fridge is our drink ice and the portable feeds our coolers. We NEVER buy ice anymore.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have the old NDR1062 with the ice maker. Yes, we had some problems early on. First, the fridge wasn't cold enough so a tech added something to "fool" the system, maybe a resistor kit? Next we had the usual leak in the ice maker supply line so I found I had to prevent it from rubbing on anything. Then there was the problem with the line from the solenoid up to the fill port. The material becomes brittle because of the built in heating system. I replaced that line and disabled the heating system.
If we were to do it over, I would get another built in unit. I understand the portable units are nice but don't want another piece of equipment to find a place to store while traveling. Our built in unit provides us with plenty of ice for our needs.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
We have the larger 4 door refrigerator with an ice maker and use it all the time....except when it's on the fritz...like now! :-( But....I'd still want the ice maker.

sgtbigb

Save tons of mney by not gaving to buy ice. Wouldbe hard press to buy another unit without an icemaker!:eek:

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
I believe that an ice maker in a refrigerator should be an option, especially in the smaller fridges, i.e. single door fridges.

Reasons:
1: If you are fulltiming and stay in one location for some period of time and you know the water's good an ice maker is definitely an advantage.

2: If you have a double door fridge you may have enough room to have an ice maker depends on the individual.

3: If you are traveling as we do and stay in, shall we say, more economical parks :), there is no way I would use their water to drink or to make ice, so no need for an ice maker in the fridge.

4: With fridges in slides, the possibility of having water leaks in the ice maker hose seems to increase dramatically. Not personal experience, just reading the forum :)

Just my thoughts.

DougAndJudy

We had an icemaker and a water dispenser in the fridge of our 2010 Landmark. We used the water dispenser constantly. Not so much the icemaker. Our current Landmark has the icemaker but no water dispenser, so we are using the icemaker constantly.

The other thing that both trailers had in common was that the supply line to both of the refrigerators sprung leaks. This seems to be a common problem with Heartlands, and maybe a better quality line could be used.