Ice Maker Poll - give Heartland your feedback

Ice Maker in the RV

• We have one built into our RV refer and we use it often. We'd want it the same way in our next RV.

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • We have one built into our RV refer and we rarely to never use it. We'd rather have more space.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • We have one built into our RV refer but we prefer to use our portable ice maker.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • We do NOT have one built into our RV refer and we use our portable ice maker.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • We do NOT have one built into our RV refer and we use little to no ice, we obtain ice as needed.

Votes: 17 18.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

back2nature

We love our ice maker. It makes plenty of ice for our daily use. Wouldn't be without it. We have the 4-door refrig. The rest of the freezer is still big enough for all our frozen food for a five week trip. In fact we still came back home with food in the freezer. It's amazing how much you can get in there even with the ice maker. It helps to repackage and vacuum seal food to save space. If it's really, really cold, like in the teens, we will turn it off and clear the water line of water, because it's in the slide.

Love it.

ChopperBill

Ours works well and we like it but where we stay the water is hardly fit to even shower in so we dont use it. Where I get my beer they give you a free bag of ice with every 30 pack. We are always giving ice away.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
We never used outs. Thus, we took it out to get more space. Next we removed the stove. Put a cabinet with a pull out shelf where the oven was located and put in a new cook top. The cabinet holds a portable ice maker. The half time oven micro wave takes the place of the oven that was never used.

porthole

Retired
Choices, it is all about choices - and I want this option in our next RV. Even if the choice then is to skip it, I'd still rather it be my choice.

Odds are though, if it was built into to our fridge we would be using it all the time, same as our fresh water system.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Lots of great feedback and 69 votes in 1 day. Love it! Thanks to those who have voted and keep, it coming.

Westwind

The ice maker we on our 2012 3070RL when we bought it. We were a little disappointed with the space it took but I didn't pay any mind to it until I had to winterize the trailer, disconnecting the ice maker and blowing out the system was a pain, including undoing the wall to get to the shutoff valve in the storage compartment. It made me realize that it I kept it shut off I would have to do it again next year when winter came or reverse everything when I wanted to use it.
So it's still in the refer, I haven't removed it but we don't use it, it just takes up space.

guyc66

We have the Dometic RM1350 with icemaker and love the fact we have plenty of ice whenever we need it. However, for some strange reason the ice has a funny taste to it. If I could resolve that issue, I would love it even more. We also had to replace the supply line due to the ever popular surprise leak in the basement, but that was a fairly easy fix. I vote to keep the icemaker as an available option....

lwmcguir

We also have the RM1350 and it makes plenty of ice and stores about 5 pounds. The line that came with the Coach was just a plain poly line. Changed the line to a NSF tube and the taste improved. I add a pint of hydrogen peroxide to the water tanks as needed to get rid of any plastic taste in the ice as well. Will definitely buy a coach with an ice maker option next time.

lwmcguir

We always run the RO and the ice maker take off is from that. Really helps make clear ice cubes. If you want to just add a demineralizer cartridge and a taste filter to the icemaker line that helps as well. Since the water is chilled it is nice to have it taste like pure water.

funntheson

We have one, and would use it more often if we had a better water filtration system. We have the inline filter on the hose, but the ice still comes out with a little added flavor. We currently use bottled water for drinking and some cooking.

I know this is off topic, but if anyone would like to offer suggestions on how to eliminate the extra "flavor" in our water/ice, please feel free to message me. Or, is this something that clears up as you use the icemaker more often?

Larry

ps- I didn't vote, because I fall between the first two selections. I would use the icemaker more often if i can eliminate the taste in the water.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
No icemaker. Small fridge. If we had a bigger fridge, we still don't want the ice maker, due to the hassles of winterizing, since we RV in the winter months. We had a portable one, but sold it, just didn't use enough. We buy ice as needed, and that's OK for the way we RV.

mikeandconnie

We miss all the ice we had with our old rig with the Dometic 1350. We have less ice now with the Norcold but more space for food. This may be a solution for some folks if your looking for more space less ice. I run two filters and have good tasting ice.

rogerlouden

If we had the large fridge we would certainly have the ice maker. For now we have a portable. Happy Hour without ice is just not so happy! LOL

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Ours came with the ice maker but it is not used and it is disconnected. Some day it will come out when we need the space.

Steadfast

An ice maker was one of many things that attracted us to the BH that we bought. We enjoy having the ice maker, although we can't use the ice in any drinks because of the strong plastic taste. I have read about the plastic taste going away eventually. We look forward to that.

It would be nice to have an on board filter like home refrigerators have. Everything has its cost, I know. I will probably be putting in our own filter.

We have had the water line repaired twice under warranty also. They should use a stronger line when the refrigerator is in a slide out. I guess I will be replacing that line if it continues to fail.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have an ice maker in our unit also but do not use it. Instead we purchased a small stand alone ice maker and keep it in the basement storage area and use it constantly. It works great and by not having the plastic container to hold the ice in the freezer it gives us more storage space in the freezer.

We have a new Bighorn 3010RE and love our ice maker, we however just got our coach 2 weeks ago and first time out had a water leak in the basement and it was the water line to the ice maker