input wanted Re: Goodyear wrangler tires for fiver

Capt7383

Does anybody have any knowledge/experience with Goodyear wrangler MTR tires with kevlar for a 35ft 14000lb fifth wheel? My local CW store gave me a quote for our big country 3070re of $1,276.60 out the door.
Looking at the wrangler tire it looks like a nice tread for a truck but wouldn't the tread pattern be somewhat aggressive for a fifth wheel? After hearing the positive comments on Goodyear service and paying for incidental damage on a blowout I'm leaning towards the Goodyear brand. Would these tires fit the bill or should I go to the Goodyear G614? Any help greatly appreciated. My current Towmax tires make me nervous.

GOTTOYS

I'm thinking that price is a bit high. I would not get any tire with an aggressive tread pattern. For about the same money you can get a set of Michelin XPS Ribs. These are all steel no fabric tire. I doubt that Goodyear will pay out for damages caused by anything other than a trailer specific rated tire. They may not even pay out for the notorious piece of junk Goodyear Marathon...Don

HornedToad

After hearing the positive comments on Goodyear service and paying for incidental damage on a blowout I'm leaning towards the Goodyear brand.

They may not even pay out for the notorious piece of junk Goodyear Marathon...Don

I had two blowouts about 4/5 years ago with stock Goodyear Marathons on two different Jayco TT's. In both cases I mailed the carcass, and with one the separated tread, to Goodyear for examination. In both cases they reimbursed me for the tire but did not pay any of the damage to the trailer, which in both cases was a couple of thousand dollars each.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
If your trailer has 110 psi rated wheels, I would also go with the G614. The rim should be stamped on the back with either 80 or 110.

I believe some of the lighter weight HL fivers were/are still coming with 80psi rims.
In that case, you will have to purchase different rims to use G rated Goodyears, Sailuns, or others. Trace

Last edited:

Westwind

Just get the Towmax Tires off your trailer - I would nix the aggressive tread also a standard road tread on an LT tire. Watch the weight rating on them though. I put the G614 on mine and then when I looked at my bank balance I cried. But it was so nice traveling to Florida without constantly worrying about - Are they OK, are they going to Blow!

MCTalley

The Goodyear MT/R in a 235-85R16 size is rated for 3,042 lb. at 80 PSI. That's barely adequate for your 14k trailer (which actually will probably be closer to 15 or 15.5K fully loaded up). That beefy tread will also probably increase the amount of heat being generated going down the road.

I'll agree with several others on the G614 recommendation. You're only talking a couple hundred dollars more for something rated at 3,750 lb. and specifically made for a trailer wheel position (flex when turning, etc.).

Capt7383

Thanks to all for the help, looks like G614 is the answer, more money in the short haul but in the long term....

Joe G

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Yes, go with the G614, I've had them on my last two 5th wheels and had zero tire issues.