Is anyone happy??? I am really afraid we just made a very costly mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayandhisgals

We did a lot of research (I thought we did anyways :rolleyes:) prior to buying our 2012 Cyclone 3712ck HD. Bought it two months ago. Still havn't been able to take it any where but the driveway. Lots of issues (over 25 and counting) all seem to be lack of quality control at the factory. I have read on this forum about heating/AC issues, water leaks, etc. etc. Now I am reading about the Tow Maxx tires and blow out issues they have. We are planning on taking this unit all accross the country and living our retirement dream. Selling our home and everything we own. My husband is disabled from his service in Iraq and we can no longer maintain our 3000 sq ft home. We thought this would be a much better alternative style of living, requiring less maintance since it is a new unit and allowing us to see this country we have sacraficied so much for. I really thought we were buying a superior product when we chose the HL Cyclone. Now I am questioning our buying decision. Is anyone happy with their unit?? Please give me some positave feed back. I would love to hear some happy stories on this forum. :) I pray we don't have problem after problem with this rig as it is up to me now to do most maintance and a failure that would force us to take the trailer back to the factory would leave us homeless.

ILH

I have been very happy with my new rig. Yes, there were warranty issues - but I don't think this is unique to Heartland. I still believe that the Heartland rigs are better built with better features for the price. I also believe they are one of the most responsive companies in the industry.

I hope you get your issues resolved soon - and I salute your husband (and you) for his service to your country.

Noobie

I read somewhere that coaches are a rolling earthquake things are bound to go wrong I hope HL is working to get your issues resolved?

And thank your husband from me for his service

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Jay and his Gals,

Thank you for your service and sacrifice and welcome to the Heartland family. You have purchased one of the most popular toy haulers in the industry. And there are many many happy owners. With that said, there are always some issues - and you will read about those here and else where on the internet. more people post to find answers to issues than to just say what a great rig I have... Heartland has been and continues to be very responsive to issues - if you ever find that your not getting resolution from your local dealer - call Heartland Customer Service, have your VIN ready and they will work through the warranty issue with you. I purchased my rig used and even though I do not have a warranty - they have still addressed issues that would have been covered by the original warranty.

I hope that you will consider Joining the Club and attending a Rally or two in your travels.

I hope that you are able to get your issues addressed by your dealer and/or Heartland soon so you can set off on your travels.

God Bless you and your upcoming adventures.

PS: yes I am very happy with my Cyclone 3010

Kevin

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would be curious to know of the 25+ issues that you have had if the rig has not left the driveway.
As was already mentioned, work with your dealer to resolve the problems, as well as knowing that problems are not unique to Heartland. And Heartland Customer service is just a phone call away.
Keep in mind that these things are always in need of some sort of maintenance. Caulking, loose screws, bearing maintenance, tire inflation and waxing, to name a few things. They do take a beating bouncing down the highway.
While we do not own a Cyclone, we are on our second Heartland product and yes we have been happy with both of them and when the time comes for number three, we would not even consider another brand.
I do hope that you get everything taken care of and start to enjoy your new Cyclone.

Peace
Dave

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We are on our second HL. We loved our first one and now we love the new one. They are a rolling earthquake and there is always maintenance to do. They are not work free by any means. There are always things you would like to change and you may decide to do upgrades along the way to help minimize the work required to setup and use your rolling home. Please don't interpret the problems posted on the forum as speaking for the majority. People who don't have problems they can't handle don't post as much as those looking for help.

The "old timers" on the forum post because they are out living the life they love and want others to be able to do the same. We have all had issues, some major, most minor, but they can be fixed.

Good luck and thank you for your sacrifice to our country.

Kristy

gvtahoe88

Hello Jay & Gals

We also have a nightmare it is a 3585 Big Horn 2012. Purchased in Dec. 2011 has been in the shop for repairs for at least 100 days already and I am sure it will be headed back soon. We love the floor plan of this rig but it seems impossible that it was put together in such a poor quality of craftmanship.

We have had it worked on at 2 different dealerships some of the work good and some not so good. Our dream has turned into a living **** we can feel your pain. The hard earned money we pay for these units they should be in way better condition when we pick them up. We feel that the dealer prep is just a joke.

Warranty is up soon and then who knows. Our Dream is not going very well. OH next will be the TOW MAX one is already starting to go. So Jay not everyone in happy.

Good Luck 2 You.

Tony and Gloria

WISH WE HAD OUR OLD RIG BACK.

vakthund

Please indeed share the list of issues. We have not encountered a single problem that someone else on this board didn't already have a creative solution for. My personal opinion is that the Cyclone line from Heartland is among the highest quality in the non-custom RV market but what drove us to purchase one was this board and the amazingly helpful people here.
We purchased a Cyclone 3800 and had a few issues with it. It spent about a month at the dealer getting fixed last July and it is going back for some other repairs in December. Most of the issues we could have fixed ourselves but since the unit is under warranty the dealer gets to do it. We do expect things to break from time to time and there is some upkeep necessary. My suggestion is get things fixed at the dealer ASAP, you may have to find another dealer if the one you use is not responsive, and stay on top of the maintenance items. Thank you for your service and hope to see you at a rally soon.

Birchwood

Its like the news ...you will never hear nothing but negativity so relax and enjoy your new RV.We have been living in our Landmark
full time for four years and its been so dependable I can't believe it myself.Most of RV problems I feel are self inflicted so read the RV manuals
and follow the schedules as you should on any vehicle.

hcriddle

So sorry to hear about the problems. We purchased our Bighorn in 2009 and have never had any problems with it that weren't created by me. I spend a lot of time here on the forum because I find out about things before they become issues for me. The people on this forum are some of the nicest and most helpful people I have had the pleasure of meeting. I have met a lot of them at rallys and they have always been willing to help me with any kind of repair or maintenance items.

Anytime reality doesn't match with expectations the results are discouragement, disappointment, anger and all those other emotions that are no fun and bad for you. Hang in there and maybe you might want to try bringing some of the issues here before you go back to the dealer. I have found that I get enough information from my friends on the forum, to fix things more quickly and usually better than I would receive if I took it to a dealer for repairs. You will see a lot of issues raised here but many of them are from people just like me who are seeking answers from those who are much wiser.

If you get a chance to make it to some of the rallys in your area and for sure the big one in Goshen, you will find that there are many, many people who will not only give great advice but will get dirty while they help you take care of that rig. That is the biggest reason that I would buy another Heartland when I wear this one out. There are a lot of people here who come from backgrounds where we understand the brotherhood and the commitment to serve our fellow man that Jay knows so well. We are here to help and give encouragement and you can't buy that at a dealership or from any manufacturer.

Hope you are on the road soon.

robnmo

1st thanks for the service to our country and the support a spouse gives and things they have to deal with as well. Now as for the Cyclone we picked ours up in Dec 2009 (titled as a 2011) Our plans were to travel and winter over down south and be back in Indiana during the summer months.......................well we've been home 3 weeks in the last 18 months and think we might have our house sold, our "part time" plans have become "full time" living in our Cyclone. We've had some issues, all minor with the exception of one when it was new that HL immediately took care of at the factory. All other issues we've fixed on our own with minimal work. The 3 weeks we were home, we replaced some siding on the house that came loose, fixed a water leak, replaced a 6 yr old refrigerator that croaked, replaced a 5 yr old LCD TV that croaked (well Best Buy did with an extended warranty), we didn't get the trees that blew over cleaned up yet, didn't get the sliding patio door fixed yet, and noticed there might be some porch roof issues, and that's just scratching the surface of the house. I'll take the Cyclone without question and never look back, and the little Ms, will triple that thought. For what it's worth, during the 3 weeks we were home, we spent 2 nights in the house then went back out to the Cyclone in the driveway and stayed in it. This forum is wonderful for info, but like others have said from time to time, people tend to focus on the negative the positive experiences go unspoken. Have we had some issues ABSOLUTELY (but talk to anyone in a RV park, they all have issues), all were easily solvable, and we've pulled this home up and down the east coast, rode out a hurricane that came up the east coast, been to Colorado, down to Texas several time, and currently setting in N Ft Myers, Fl getting ready to head back to Indiana then back to the panhandle of Florida. We look at RV's whenever we're around a dealer and have some time to spare, in our opinion, there's one other brand that comes very close to the Cyclone and might even be starting to pass it, but without a doubt, you've got a very quality RV and toyhauler. We'd do it all over again (and will). ;-) Enjoy

evolvingpowercat

So far as tires and wheel issues go, there are tens of thousands of RVs and the tire problem posts are in the dozens, so its not as bad as you might believe from following this forum. You can minimize the chance of problems by:

- check tire pressures and keep them at the recommended PSI. If you have any that have slow pressure drop, get that warranty serviced that is not normal.

- get a torque wrench and proper lug nut socket for it and keep with your rig. Set the torque wrench to the recommended torque and check lug nuts often. If they are not staying torqued get that warranty serviced that is not normal.

- follow the recommended max speed for your tires. Generally, ST trailer tires have a max rated speed of 65 MPH at recommended pressure.

- put UV block on your tire side walls. Tire covers when parked. UV sunlight shortens the life of trailer tires and weakens their sidewalls.

Other suggestions:

- water filter and pressure regulator will make your RV water system last longer and work better

- if you have a problem and don't feel the dealer you bought the RV from handled your problem to your satisfaction, call Heartland Customer Service and discuss with them.

- you don't have to have your warranty service done at the dealer who sold you the RV, if their service department is not satisfying you, consider talk to Heartland Customer Service about other service locations in your area that you might be able to use.

- get a surge protector / low voltage protector / miswiring protector for your shore power, personally I use a hard wired SurgeGuard brand unit.

- as a military veteran, you will get a great price from GoodSamClub for their membership and travel protection plan, hopefully you will never need their travel protection but if you do they will change a RV tire, tow your RV if need be, etc.

Good luck.

dfk009

As soon as I start gettting my VA health pension (been waiting 15 months), I'm ordering a set of Maxxis like I had on my other trailer, so we can take long distance trips without worry (tired of doing local camping). I would get in touch with the dealer, and need be Heartland. Once things are ALL repaired, you will enjoy your coach. But I would get those tires off of the rig. You've got a great combination with the truck and toyhauler, just get the bugs worked out. From a Vietnam Vet to a Iraq Vet, thanks for your ultimate sacrifice.

porthole

Retired
1) thank you for your service for the greatest country!

2) our cyclone has been great but not without minor problems. Nothing has failed yet that I could not take care of myself.

I would not trade out cyclone for any other toy hauler.

3) again, thank you for your service.

iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hippy

Hello Buddy. This is Hippy, LAPD soon to retire ( 4 months ). Reading your info from ``Is anyone Happy`` Not to get off the subject, I noted you have a 2002 Harley Davidson Electra Glide. By any chance are you towing a trailer behind your 5th wheel with the bike on it or do you have a motorcycle lift attached to the rear of your trailer? Just bought 2013 Hartland bighorn 3010RE. Trying to find an easy way to bring my hog with me. Thanks.

BarneyFife

I feel for you. I know it must be a disappointment and I truly wish I could offer encouragement. Honestly, we hate our Cyclone with a passion. Its been one miserable failure after another but we try to hang in there and not let it get us down (much). The two times we dealt with Heartland on the phone was even worse but most would say I'm in the minority. Hang in there.

Also, the Heartland Owners Manual says the Cyclones aren't recommended for full-time living. Parts of your warranty could be denied if they find out you're full-timing.

DuaneG

We are new owners and have had more problems than we ever thought we would. Our fifth wheel has been in the shop for over a month and not sure when it will be done.

It has been difficult staying possitive while not being able to use our new fifth wheel. I have learned a lot from others on this forum and I am still adding things to the to do and do buy list that will make our travels better in the future.

I will not change my mind that heartland has poor quality control for their products because I have seen the problems first hand. I hear other manufactures have just as many issues, so it makes sense that I should stay with a company that offers better customer support after the purchase along with loyal owners that really want to help others. So I guess I will have to wait and see how all the repairs turn out.
The dealer said heartland doesn't expedite shipping. Does anyone know if this is true or not. If they claim to have such great customer support don't you think some situations should automatically include overnight shipping to help make the customer whole again. It has taken over a month for my dealer to get some of the needed parts for a warranty issue. Not to much of a big deal right now, but next year when we plan on spending more time on the road. These kind of shipping delays would just be unacceptable.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
RV's are about the sorriest built anything I have ever seen. I mean that in the most general way covering every brand out there. They are built as light as possible to pack in the most options/luxury possible.

Cyclone is not one of the most popular TH out there, it is the most popular TH out there on the road. Twice as many sold then #2 on the list.

Having issues is part of buying a new RV. You will have issues, the better and quicker you are at finding them the less trips you will make hailing it back to the dealer. Meaning, find them all at once if possible. Though it is not realistic. But finding four or five here at a time will get old with that many trips to the dealer.

China Tire issue is with serval brands of RV. Just not Heartland. But do yourself a favor and dump those tires. You dont want to deal with a blown tire, trust me. It is a huge headache.

As far as quality control goes. Heartland sucks, so does Dutchmen, Airstream, Forest River, Keystone, heck just about all of them suck. Though Winnebago seems to be better then most.

Understand to, most people come to the forums because they have a issue, not because their trailer is awesome. So you will always read about more negative then good on every Forum.

Never expect Home grade quality out of a RV, you will be very disappointed.

jayandhisgals

If you get a chance to make it to some of the rallys in your area and for sure the big one in Goshen, you will find that there are many, many people who will not only give great advice but will get dirty while they help you take care of that rig. That is the biggest reason that I would buy another Heartland when I wear this one out. There are a lot of people here who come from backgrounds where we understand the brotherhood and the commitment to serve our fellow man that Jay knows so well. We are here to help and give encouragement and you can't buy that at a dealership or from any manufacturer.

Hope you are on the road soon.
You are right! The people on this forum are fantastic! and HL customer service has been wonderful so far. Thanks for the encouragement. We can't wait to get out to a rally and meet some of you in person.

jayandhisgals

Thank you for your encourging words. We are experiencing the same thing with our stick home after owning it for nearly 17 yrs now. Hoping our situation turns out like yours and that we get away from all this high maintance and into our Cyclone with little issues. That was the whole ideia, going smaller would = less headache maintance wise. Got our fingers crossed that it turns out that way & your right people come to this forum looking for help for small issues and that's why we don't hear the "happy" stories and everyone here is so helpful. The more I hear from HL owners the better we are feeling about our decision.

1st thanks for the service to our country and the support a spouse gives and things they have to deal with as well. Now as for the Cyclone we picked ours up in Dec 2009 (titled as a 2011) Our plans were to travel and winter over down south and be back in Indiana during the summer months.......................well we've been home 3 weeks in the last 18 months and think we might have our house sold, our "part time" plans have become "full time" living in our Cyclone. We've had some issues, all minor with the exception of one when it was new that HL immediately took care of at the factory. All other issues we've fixed on our own with minimal work. The 3 weeks we were home, we replaced some siding on the house that came loose, fixed a water leak, replaced a 6 yr old refrigerator that croaked, replaced a 5 yr old LCD TV that croaked (well Best Buy did with an extended warranty), we didn't get the trees that blew over cleaned up yet, didn't get the sliding patio door fixed yet, and noticed there might be some porch roof issues, and that's just scratching the surface of the house. I'll take the Cyclone without question and never look back, and the little Ms, will triple that thought. For what it's worth, during the 3 weeks we were home, we spent 2 nights in the house then went back out to the Cyclone in the driveway and stayed in it. This forum is wonderful for info, but like others have said from time to time, people tend to focus on the negative the positive experiences go unspoken. Have we had some issues ABSOLUTELY (but talk to anyone in a RV park, they all have issues), all were easily solvable, and we've pulled this home up and down the east coast, rode out a hurricane that came up the east coast, been to Colorado, down to Texas several time, and currently setting in N Ft Myers, Fl getting ready to head back to Indiana then back to the panhandle of Florida. We look at RV's whenever we're around a dealer and have some time to spare, in our opinion, there's one other brand that comes very close to the Cyclone and might even be starting to pass it, but without a doubt, you've got a very quality RV and toyhauler. We'd do it all over again (and will). ;-) Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.