Is anyone happy??? I am really afraid we just made a very costly mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayandhisgals

Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement. I must agree with most on this forum that although there are issues with our unit right now, most RV are going to have problems and we would much perfer to have great customer support and a forum like this to fix those issues then have bought another brand and not have the support. ;) The people who reply on this forum are intellegent, helpful and just all out wonderful. Thank you all! Can't wait to get out there and meet some of you in person at the rallys. Keeping our fingers crossed that once these bugs get worked out we will be "happy campers". Safe travels to everyone hope to see you on the road.

wildwolfproducts

Thanks for serving our country.
As for issues, We have had a few with our Landmark Key Largo. But nothing that has made us take it back to the dealer. I'm also Disabled and have a hard time doing work on our unit. But I do everything I can to it, that way I know its done the way I want it done. Also same as with a new home. Your going to find issues with stuff. Now for us, we don't worry over the small issues. Fix them when I can and go on enjoying our Great camper.
And I will say, if something happens to ours tomorrow. We would order the same model and same items again.
Good luck and pray both of you get to enjoy the country of ours for a lot of years. We have 5 more years then its 6+ months out of the year for us traveling.
Pete

robnmo

I'm sure everything will work out fine. We have had several issues, but like I said all minor, and it's been a big learning curve for us, we've gotten alot of very useful information from this forum on how to deal with things, and when not sure we make a post and ask, we also have picked up alot of info from other RV'ers in the many parks we've been to. It's an absolutely amazing life, and life style, almost like a little hidden society behind these little tucked away park gates. Like someone else said, some of the issues were "self inflicted" others are just the nature of the beast. Oh we've (I've) had some days where I've turned the air blue and glad no kids were around to hear my rant about something going wrong, but then I think about all the work we've done on our stick home that now need REDONE, look at the taxes, ins, and the worries about that place, set down, have a nice cold one, walk the park, visit others, wake up the next morning and it's always the same..............BEST THING WE EVER DID! Matter of fact we're already discussing plans on when we sell this one and what RV is next in line. ;-) If you want a list of our issues, problems, our fixes, and what we do, I'd gladly supply it (we keep all receipts) LOL As for the tire issue like someone else posted, keep them at max pressure, and check them regularly, we used the Tow Max for a couple yrs, we changed out this spring to Maxxis, it made a huge difference, but we carry a small compressor and air up before every move, also ck lug nuts, we don't make tight turns keeping tire twist minimal as possible, we drive about 60 mph on the road, I hand pack bearings annually and inspect them (don't like the bearing buddies...aka EZ lube) also lets me look at the brakes (yes replaced one hub assembly the 1st yr because the brake literally had exploded into pieces, I didn't deal with warranty didn't want the hassle, I coughed up 150.00 and went on my way, that was my choice). The one thing we've noticed is the longer we have our RV, and deal with the little things immediately the less and less things come up, but it's also fun for us to see how our RV is put together, learn it's in's and out's. It's and RV but it's our home, and just like the other house, it needs attention, some love and time and maintenance the difference is there's alot more people that are willing to help out or provide information on this house than the other, and when this one is fixed and all is good, we go meet new neighbors and see new things and make alot of new acquaintances. The more we're in it the better we like it. Good luck, be patient, it'll all work out fine, you've got a very nice RV, kick back and enjoy. :)

dbhutchins

To answer your question: YES! There are plenty of happy campers out here (pun intended)!

You've had some great advice here. And will find very supportive folks on this forum, regardless of the problem. We don't live-aboard, but have averaged 100 nights a year on the road, and could live aboard, easily. We have met lots of folks who do. Go for it!

You need to keep in mind that RVs HAVE TO be made as light as possible, so some compromises are inevitable, and that Quality Control in the industry as a whole is not the best it could be. But I think Heartland is as good or better than most. You've got a good rig. But it can be made so much better!

In addition to getting the delivery punch-list sorted out, I would add just a couple things to help make your RV'ing experience a great one:

- By all means, swap out the tires. I don't believe any RV comes with decent tires and Heartland's products are no exception. You need to NOT be worrying about them failing on you. Having said that: we kept close tabs on our OEMs, making certain pressures and torques were always OK, and got 20,000 miles before the first one failed.

- Unless the spring hangers/equalizers are rubber mounted, (I understand some are from the factory), get those upgraded to rubber mounted units and never-fail bushings. There are a couple of options, either good.

- And get a shock-absorbing pin-box put on - also several options, though I believe the Demco Glide-ride is the simplest yet best design out there.

Those three upgrades will immeasurably improve your towing experience, and go a long way to make you comfortable with your new home while on the road.

This retired SEABEE thanks you BOTH for your service, and sends the best of luck as your adventure continues! Come back and let us know how you're doing from time to time...

Bksvo

I'm sure you will enjoy the heck out of it, but unfortunately, you will need patience the first year as you work the bugs out. Ours has spent more time at the dealer that I would have prefered the 1st 6 months, but I refused to let it interfere with our trips - letting the issues pile up at getting them taken care of all at once. I'm still convince we made the right choice buying our 3800.

A few things - REPLACE THE TIRES! - I too thought if I just take care of them, they will take care of me. proper inflation, balanced, and TPMS installed. In the end I ended up replacing them all, and had to cover a $1000 deductible, and the headache of the whole mess.

Install surge protection - a small investment that can and likely will save you every year. This summer alone it has found problems at 2 campgrounds. I hardwired a progressive unit.

God's blessing for you and your husband.

dave10a

Welp I have found that my trailer requires a lot more maintenance than my home. I am fortunate that I can fix most of the design/manufacturing issues as they become apparent. I love the life style as an extended camper and the trailer issues keep me challenged since I retired from "Das Boot" :)

wdk450

Jay:
If you haven't already, get that FREE Federal Pass for persons with disabilities. You can get it at any National Forest, National Park or BLM office. This will get you FREE admission to National Parks for everyone in your vehicle, and 1/2 price camping at N.P., N.F., and C.O.E. campgrounds. Most places that amounts to $7 a night for boondocking, I have found certain places (like just outside the West Entrance to Yellowstone Park) with electricity hookups for $6 more a night.
Here is a link: http://store.usgs.gov/pass/access.html

I hope this helps your RVing experience.

Wharton

I have a few questions regarding your rig, are these problems your dealer should have caught(and you) in a PDI? Have you contacted Heartland with your problems? Dealers are notorious for blaming Heartland when they have not even called Heartland(though they tell you they did). We have had a BH3670 for three years, has never been back to the dealer from day one and never a problem we didn't cause. Our dealer was very fussy and did not like people coming back for things that he should have caught. You are not required to take your trailer back to the selling dealer, if you have a better service place to go to go there. Heartland doesn't care, just make sure they are called.

BarneyFife

One trend I've been noticing quite a bit recently. Makes me want to ask this honest question. No flames please. Just honestly curious.

There seems to be a LOT of people who don't even own toy haulers who want to comment on their positive experiences with their Heartland product (and a few negatives). Why is this? The OP has purchased a Cyclone and is now concerned over the quality of their purchase and how it will hold up. But folks with Big Horns, Landmarks, Key Largos, etc. are putting in their opinions. I don't have a problem with this. Its really none of my business when it comes down to it. But is it relevant?

We tend to compare our campers to our vehicles sometimes. But if a lot of people are having issues with their Mustangs, does me saying "my F450 has been great" really have any relevance?

Again, not trying to stir up a fight. Someone teach me here. Are the Cyclones built on the same assembly line with the same people that build the Big Horns and Landmarks and other Heartland products? Or are we comparing Mustangs to F450s?

Urban350

I love our floor plan and design, but I am in the hate the quality and feel I made a very costly mistake boat.

Wmnmy

Hello welcome to the forum and stick with it also thanks for your service . We have a cyclone 2812 love this rig I have fixed many small issues with this rig mostly maintenance issues like adjusting brakes replacing wheel bearings generator maintenance . My 310 dometic toilet leaked and they sent me a new toilet to my residence and I replaced it works great now . My shurflo pump back flo valve not working right so they sending me another one still under warranty no questions asked . First thing I did was get rid of the tow max tires they started seperating 2000 miles I bought carlile tires some may say they are as bad but I have put now over 7000 miles on them across the USA from coast to coast and they got me and my family home safe . This is my first Rv and I truly am happy with it as with all things nothing is perfect but if you get all the bugs worked out you will enjoy your rig and this forum lots of great info that saved me before bad things happened .

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Barney,

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but here's my take.

The cyclones are not built on the same line as the Landmarks, Bighorns, Big Countries. But all Heartlands have many identical parts and construction methods.

I see your point on the surface, but the question "is anyone is happy with their unit???" -- is one we can all answer. This forum has folks that try to be genuinely concerned and helpful to anyone whom poses questions on the forum. Some of the issues this owner is having are common across many lines of Heartland Products, and for that matter, pick any brand of RV... they all have them. Sometimes folks purchase an RV thinking it's like buying an expensive automobile. You spend a lot of $$$, you expect perfection. Unfortunately the RV industry doesn't live up to those expectations. Yes it's an expensive product to the buyer in the end... but I recall a saying, "Money doesn't buy happiness."

As owners, I think we have to change our expectations. It's not a car. It's not a house. It's manufactured in days. It's built the most cost-effective way possible. Each one of the myriad of components in your RV has it's own manufacturer, with its own quality control (or lack thereof). So to expect perfection is really not realistic. What we can expect with a rolling home, is this thing needs our attention, to be vigilant, learn all we can, and stay on top of potential issues before they become major ones. This forum is a great way to do that. Especially when Heartland is involved with the Forum, unlike many others where the online community may be completely independent of the Mfg.

Erika
BTW we've had issues too, but HL has stood behind their product. We love our ElkRidge.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One trend I've been noticing quite a bit recently. Makes me want to ask this honest question. No flames please. Just honestly curious.

There seems to be a LOT of people who don't even own toy haulers who want to comment on their positive experiences with their Heartland product (and a few negatives). Why is this? The OP has purchased a Cyclone and is now concerned over the quality of their purchase and how it will hold up. But folks with Big Horns, Landmarks, Key Largos, etc. are putting in their opinions. I don't have a problem with this. Its really none of my business when it comes down to it. But is it relevant?

In all fairness, the question from the OP was is anyone happy with their "unit".
Not specific to the model.

Peace
Dave
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

azdryheat

I would be interested to hear just 5 of the 25+ complaints the OP has with the Cyclone. It is very common for someone to join a forum just to wrongly bash a product in the hopes of turning away future business. I'm not accusing the OP of anything but 25+ complaints and blaming Heartland QC and then not discussing any of the complaints here is suspicious to this old cop.

chasdvorak

Thank you for your service to our country.....there are very few who truly understand your sacrifice, but many Americans that live free because of it. May God Bless you and your family.

Welcome to the Heartland family and this forum. I've read the entire thread and can relate to most of the posts. I understand the frustration you are experiencing and can tell you that I've experienced problems, great and small with my coach. Some were related to a manufacturing problem, some were routine maintenance, and a few were self inflicted. In the end, Heartland stepped up during and well after the warranty period. I received excellent advice and education from this forum and especially from attendance at the rallies. Heartland also supplies some "minor maintenance" help at the National rallies in Goshen (also in Gillette, WY this past year), which is greatly appreciated and often extended beyond the minor stage. We enjoy our coach on a weekly basis (seasonal site at an area campground) and take it in the road 3-4 times a year. I'm not planning on buying anther coach for several years, but when I do it will be a Heartland product.

I'd also like to suggest some volunteer effort by members of this forum to help you get rolling. I'd suggest working with your dealer and Heartland to get your punch list settled before you get moving, but remember that we have members throughout the country and Canada that are often willing to help. This forum offers various methods for help which range from a simple answer, often within the hour, to use of full hook-ups at times. It is not unusual to see someone on the road with a problem and a speedy response from this forum. There are many knowledgeable folks here that can and will help.

That said, I live on the Chicago area.....my coach is on a seasonal site, which is getting ready to close up for the winter. My truck and toolbox however, are open 365 days a year. If you reside in the area or run into a problem while passing thru, I would be more than happy to spend some time with you and your coach. There are some issues which require a trained service technician, however many items can easily be handled once you see how it is done and gain some confidence. I think you will find many others that are willing to help.....

Thank you again for your service to our country,

God Bless,

Chuck Dvorak

dave10a

I agree that Heartland covers the problems under warranty. However, it is difficult and inconvenient for me to drag the trailer to the dealer for that warranty work. That is why I fix or correct the manufacturing/design discrepancies myself. It would be nice if Heartland reimburse me for my efforts like they would a dealer. Also, how much money would Heartland save if they built and inspected the trailer properly in the first place as compared to the warrant costs? I have owned Winnebago and Tiffin products and I have not had the problems with those products like I have with my present trailer. I have worked most of the problems out, but my wife keeps reminding me that we spent a lot of money for to be blessed with those problems. I have to agree, but we are able to enjoy the life style regardless of the problems.

n2snow2

I would be interested to hear just 5 of the 25+ complaints the OP has with the Cyclone. It is very common for someone to join a forum just to wrongly bash a product in the hopes of turning away future business. I'm not accusing the OP of anything but 25+ complaints and blaming Heartland QC and then not discussing any of the complaints here is suspicious to this old cop.
it could be there just so frustated im in the same boat im very upset that i spent my hard earned money on a rv that in my thinking had no quaility control at all ive had problems with it from day one.no one told me i had to be a handy man and help build my trailer. owned it about 8 months maybe 9 they have had it at dealer for 4 of those. no its back in indiana for who knows how long. so much for a 1 year warrenty. i guess you could say im bashing. just stating a fact. and i have a title to proove it. call it what you will. but the truth hurts.

wdk450

Thank you for your service to our country.....there are very few who truly understand your sacrifice, but many Americans that live free because of it. May God Bless you and your family.

. . . . .

I'd also like to suggest some volunteer effort by members of this forum to help you get rolling. I'd suggest working with your dealer and Heartland to get your punch list settled before you get moving, but remember that we have members throughout the country and Canada that are often willing to help. This forum offers various methods for help which range from a simple answer, often within the hour, to use of full hook-ups at times. It is not unusual to see someone on the road with a problem and a speedy response from this forum. There are many knowledgeable folks here that can and will help.

That said, I live on the Chicago area.....my coach is on a seasonal site, which is getting ready to close up for the winter. My truck and toolbox however, are open 365 days a year. If you reside in the area or run into a problem while passing thru, I would be more than happy to spend some time with you and your coach. There are some issues which require a trained service technician, however many items can easily be handled once you see how it is done and gain some confidence. I think you will find many others that are willing to help.....

Thank you again for your service to our country,

God Bless,

Chuck Dvorak

Chuck and all:
I think the Heartland Owners Group (and non member Heartland Owners) need to know about,enter their data, and use when needed, the H.O.T.E.L. listing of Heartland owners who are out there and ready to assist another Heartlanders in need. To find this, click the "Tools" tab on any forum page, then the "HOTEL" thread link, and the 2nd posting on the thread which has the listing attached. There you can find listings of Heartlanders ready to assist you, some offering a place to park at their house, most offering assistance and food.

Status
Not open for further replies.