jbeletti's 2015 Landmark 365 Ashland

jbeletti

It's alive! - Water Pump Switch Project

I made significant progress on the Water Pump Switch Project today.

Here's a link to the post with the update for this project.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jim I'm looking into adding 1 momentary lighted push button switch to trigger the water pump in the bathroom.
I'm thinking I can put it to trigger 1 relay that basically just hotwires the main water pump switch in the control panel.
So when I push the button it will trigger the pump to flush the toilet at night. What's your opinion on this one.

67f3d52f5ee60d8fa0e2e52c43207c64.jpg

Sent from Jerrod's phone with Tapatalk

Last edited:

jbeletti

Jim I'm looking into adding 1 momentary lighted push button switch to trigger the water pump in the bathroom.
I'm thinking I can put it to trigger 1 relay that basically just hotwires the main water pump switch in the control panel.
So when I push the button it will trigger the pump to flush the toilet at night. What's your opinion on this one.

Jerrod - I like the 19mm size. I had smaller ones at first and my sausage fingers were too fat to push the button easily.

If you plan to use a standard relay - you may need a SPST switch that is NOT momentary unless you're using a latching relay*.

I suggest you consider the same switch I used (link) as it comes with a socket and wire stub. This made wiring it very easy.

And since you need a relay, may as well use the same relay I did as it was designed as a water pump circuit relay (spec sheet). Around $30-ish plus shipping (order this direct from Precision Circuits - 630-515-9100). Tell George where you heard about it :)

* “Latching relay” is a generic term that is used to describe a relay that maintains its contact position after the control power has been removed. Latching relays allow a customer to control a circuit by simply providing a single pulse to the relay control circuit. Latching relays are also desirable when the customer needs to have a relay that maintains its position during an interruption of power. (source)

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jerrod - I like the 19mm size. I had smaller ones at first and my sausage fingers were too fat to push the button easily.

If you plan to use a standard relay - you may need a SPST switch that is NOT momentary unless you're using a latching relay*.

I suggest you consider the same switch I used (link) as it comes with a socket and wire stub. This made wiring it very easy.

And since you need a relay, may as well use the same relay I did as it was designed as a water pump circuit relay (spec sheet). Around $30-ish plus shipping (order this direct from Precision Circuits - 630-515-9100). Tell George where you heard about it :)

* “Latching relay” is a generic term that is used to describe a relay that maintains its contact position after the control power has been removed. Latching relays allow a customer to control a circuit by simply providing a single pulse to the relay control circuit. Latching relays are also desirable when the customer needs to have a relay that maintains its position during an interruption of power. (source)
I'm just thinking a momentary push button switch I can just push the button build water pressure while flushing the toilet and when done walk away,,,, never having to worry about if I left it on or not.

ksucats

Re: My Mods: Experimental use of Refer Latch

Jim: You may have answered this and I just missed it --

We saw the same latch on a class-A at the Albuquerque RV show and just got one for our LM Key West. I've not installed it as yet as we need to get the coach back to LifeStyle RV in KC for warranty work. Regardless, wondering how the latch worked?

This mod is an experiment. I'm not yet fully-committed to drilling holes in the refer door to install this. So for this experiment, I'm using 3M trim tape. I think I'll try this out on our trip to Goshen and use the velcro strap loosely as a backup. I may slip a strip of paper between the door case and door gasket on both the freezer and refrigerator sections to determine if the doors came open at all during travel.

Note that this latch is used on some residential refers by some RV OEMs. I personally saw it in use in a Lifestyle RV (Calvin and Judy H's new coach).

I welcome any feedback.

On edit: This latch was sourced via Amazon.com (link) - $20

View attachment 36401 View attachment 36403 View attachment 36405 View attachment 36406 View attachment 36407 View attachment 36408 View attachment 36409

jbeletti

Re: My Mods: Experimental use of Refer Latch

Jim: You may have answered this and I just missed it --

We saw the same latch on a class-A at the Albuquerque RV show and just got one for our LM Key West. I've not installed it as yet as we need to get the coach back to LifeStyle RV in KC for warranty work. Regardless, wondering how the latch worked?

Works great - we really like it. Looks better than a bungee too :) I never did screw it into the doors. The 3M Trim Tape has held up.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jim I ordered 3 switches from your link thanks. not sure if ill go that route yet. I'll call George tomorrow.
Where did you get your wire?

jbeletti

Thanks Jim I just ordered a 100' roll from your link. Now I just need that bus block.

Here's my schematic. I could only find the block sold via ebay from the UK. Going to cost you about $13 US delivered. If they don't nick you too hard for shipping more than one, consider ordering an extra - they're cool items.

jbeletti

Ordered 2 from the UK thanks

Hey - no worries. I'm great at spending OPM (other people's money).

Hit me via email/phone once you get all your parts and before you begin the project. I suggest you temp wire up one switch with a DC supply to ensure proper operation of the relay and LED in the switch. From there, measure, add a few feet and make up your first wiring harness. Test again. Make up the remaining harnesses. I'll tell you that the cost of making the harnesses a few feet longer (just in case) was well worth being able to make all of them on the bench instead of in a cramped space :) Also allows you to test each harness and switch.

Here's another ouch - the switch plates I used (x4).

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jim after all that work you've done on your water pump switch system.
I have a question ... How come you don't just leave the pump on after you set up while dry camping ?
Mine keeps cycling that's why I'm doing it but if I would just fix my problem I wouldn't need to do all of this.

jbeletti

Jim after all that work you've done on your water pump switch system.
I have a question ... How come you don't just leave the pump on after you set up while dry camping ?
Mine keeps cycling that's why I'm doing it but if I would just fix my problem I wouldn't need to do all of this.

Jerrod - like yours, sometimes mine cycles in the middle of the night. Also, we travel A LOT! So on travel days, we use the bathroom multiple times and we have lunch in the RV (3 dogs). So we're constantly accessing the pump. Ever been in the commode room and forgot to turn the pump on :)

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Thanks Jim make a lot of since.
Mine is cycling every 15 minutes and I need to figure out why ... I don't know if it's bleeding back or forward.

jbeletti

Thanks Jim make a lot of since.
Mine is cycling every 15 minutes and I need to figure out why ... I don't know if it's bleeding back or forward.

Likely forward. I think I fixed my leak. It was a drip from where I'd removed the OEM filter and spliced (plastic union) it together. Eventually, I had a nice lake in my storage bay under my slide out tray. At the Nashville rally, I removed the plastic fittings and union with a brass Shark Bite 90. No more leak and my guess is that my system when using the pump, will hold pressure now and not periodically cycle.

Bones

can you hook up your air compressor at 40 psi to test the system. make sure you have an inline pressure gauge that way you can shut of the air supply and watch the gauge and see if it starts to back down. You could simply have a leak from a faucet just as much a fitting.