just got a new TV

camperjohn08

Hello this is John.. Just got a 2011 Ford F250 Super duty 6.7 L diesel.. It has 142 miles on her now.. Sooooooooooooooo..What is the BEST recommended break in period..BEFORE I START TOWING WITH IT..The Book saids 500 miles, the dealer saids there isn't a break in period and Now I ask for the Right info..
So Ford Diesel owners here on the forum whats the actual answer.. (And Not to let the others out.. Chevy and Dodge owners are included in this healthy conversation :p)Thanks for the Great Info..
John

jnbhobe

I don't remember how many miles I had on mine before I towed with it, probably was less than 500 miles. I will say its the best towing stock truck I've ever had. It now has 15K on it and I will put it away for the winter soon.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
I think you should follow the Ford guidlines that way in the off chance there was a problem you are in the clear. We got our truck in Dec. so I think it had about 1200 miles before we hooked up the camper.

You guys are going love this truck it tows like a dream.

GETnBYE

7.3 Powerstroke and hooked a triple horse trailor with dressing room to it the next day with no problems. Now towing 2nd fifth wheel with it, it's a 2000 model with 90000 miles now, still runs like a new one.
If you have a warranty that by not doing the break in miles I might consider doing them, but do what you feel is best for you and your Ford.

camr

We had about 250 miles on ours before our first camping trip. We pull an Edge M22, so the truck didn't even know anything was behind it. I took the trip pulling as gently as possible with as little throttle as possible and everything went fine. ****YOU ARE GONNA LOVE THIS TRUCK*****
Cam

lwmcguir

HL doesnt manufacture an trailer heavy enough to really give your truck a challenge. Just go for it and there is no way you can over work the truck. We occaisionally pull a tandem dually which it handles very well. Or a load of cows will make it work and shift some but he Augusta is a very easy pull. I would only be concerned if you were loading up a heavy trailer like a skid steer, cows, or tandem loaded with supplies. You will love the truck and the way it tows and handles. We still have several 7.3's and the 6.7 will out perform everyone of them all the way around. Wish our F550 had a 6.7 as well.

Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
When we got our new 09 Dodge truck - the dealership said that there wasn't any breaking-in requirement time anymore so we hooked up and went out west for 3 weeks. That's been over 2 years ago and still haven't had the first problem with it. Enjoy your new truck - we have.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Hey John congrats on the new truck! We followed the manufacturers rec on this one but not by much. We had 507 miles the first time we hooked up! I saw your pics on Facebook and it sure is a good looking truck.

pegmikef

My dealer recommended that I follow the book recommendation which was 500 miles with varied speeds, so I took it to Ft Hood and back and drove at varying speeds between 55 and 75. That plus some around town driving took care of the 500 miles in just a few days. I now have a little over 10 k miles on it of which 8500 are towing miles with no problems at all. The bonus is that I notice as the mileage on the truck creeps up, so has my mpg. Initially I was averaging a little over 11 mpg, but my last trip to the Canton rally was a little over 13 mpg with and without wind (I have a pretty light trailer - 9000 pounds loaded).

camperjohn08

Hey John congrats on the new truck! We followed the manufacturers rec on this one but not by much. We had 507 miles the first time we hooked up! I saw your pics on Facebook and it sure is a good looking truck.
When I saw this truck in the lot.. I thought that's a good looking truck too. I guess Green is my new Blue.. After I break it in I can't wait to put it to the test.. Then a Low profile Sundance or Graystone 5'er,, Already got my eye on a 2012 3300QS Sundance..At least it looks good on the internet pic's anyway. The truck didn't come with the Aux springs from the factory, but a gent in our local area can do it (Bolt Up on existing holes in frame) for about $450.00 . A Nice Soft top Taunna cover is ordered and a rubber bed mat too..
I Will say though... This is alot of truck compared to my 1/2 ton Silverado...............................and it will take some time to learn all the gagets it has..

rustyshakelford

It's my understanding that the engines are advertised at not needing a specific break in procedure. The 500 mile period is for the diff gears to break in properly before having the added stress of towing.

Brett

Delaine and Lindy

Congratz on the new Ford. First I would follow the Ford owners manual, because we don't really know how much information the computers will store. If you had a engine failure and they know you didn't follow the break in schedule. Well that wouldn't be good.

I don't own a Ford, but I have in fact pick up a new 2005 GMC 3500HD DRW's, it had a 125 miles when we hooked to the 5th wheel and left for Colorado Springs heading to Glennwood Springs Colorado we pulled across I-70 and if you haven't pulled I-70 West out of Denver, well there are some high passes. I was concerned but it was a Duramax:angel:. I was lucky no damage as for as I know.

I just picked up a 2012 Chevy 3500HD DRW's and when I hooked to the 5er it had 450 miles on the Clock. We now have 956 miles on the Clock, I don't believe it hurt anything. I do believe the rear differential is really the issue. Once the rear differential is worn in you shouldn't have a issue.

I also believe you shouldn't run the same speed for extended periods, alternate your speed, run the speed limit and then drop it 10 or 15 miles for sometime. I know most people know this, but its just a reminder for all. However after you get the 500 miles driver her like you stole her... Happy Trails....

caokgafamily

Camperjohn,

It's Ford! Drive it like you stole it. Pedal to the metal...
Enjoy it, some day I need a new one.
Steve

jnbhobe

John; You may want to consitter putting on air bags instead of the helper springs. You probably won't need the helpers anyway and the air bags will let you level out the rig no matter what rig you pull. JMHO

lwmcguir

It is worth the time reading the manual to help learn your way through the computer features for sure. The towing miles and hours are very nice to keep track of. Since we use different trailers we know how many miles towing each trailer and how many total hours towing and idling.

The 2012 F250-350's are very similar with the F350 ratings kicked up a bit due to the heavier hitch/frame.

At a show near here they had all the 4 brands on display. All nice trucks for sure and have so many more features than we had just 5 years ago.

mmomega

AnyTimer
It really is true with these new trucks that the manual is like your bible. Not all the specs are in there but there is definitely a lot of information I bet your dealership never mentioned.
I went on a small road trip the weekend I picked up my truck, it had 30 miles on it after my test drive and I put about 650 on it before I wanted to tow.
Ford mainly wants you to put some city type driving on it for break in more so than 500 highway miles. The reving up of stop and go driving helps break in the engine a bit more than just keeping it at 2000 rpm for 500 miles straight.

Some will tell you it doesn't matter but why even leave it to chance? You can throw 500 miles on there with a nice little weekend drive to get better acquainted with the truck.
Also saying this, if you have had a long planned trip for the weekend you picked up the truck I'd say go but take a couple more stops along the way. No reason to cancel a trip for a break in but also throw in some type of stop and go driving.

1231ChaseB

There's more than the engine to consider ! There is also some gear's in there that need to get used to each other !
chaseb

camperjohn08

Thanks everyone for all the good info.. ordered air bags, B&W goose neck hitch and the Companion 5'er, and might get the aux springs installed locally (still pondering that one).. Also doing the break-in as per the manual.. Tooooooooooooo much money on the table not to..and I expect to also learn alot of good info on our next Heartland Rally..talking to all the SD owners..
John

PUG

Pug
I had a Duramax and now a Cummins in their respective trucks. I drove interstate trucks for several years driving numerous trucks with different engines. My feeling is you never just jump in a new truck and put your foot in it. You work them but not to the full extent to give them a little time to break in. Engines used to be built to different standards and required break in periods but that isn't as necessary today.

Always warm a diesel engine up slowly with a few minutes of idling, and when taking off just gently peddle it until the engine is up to temp. After that you can start adding more throttle. Working a cold engine is a no no. Same thing when letting it cool down before shut down. I let my engine idle until the turbo is down to 350 degrees as recommended by Cummins. A diesel engine has a lot more steel in it so let that metal warm and cool slowly. If you saw my truck you would notice I have added a trio guage pack on the left window column that has a pyrometer, engine boost, and trans temperature. I am getting ready to add temp guages to both front and rear bogies. Spoiled I guess from having those things when I was driving truck.