Larry the headhunter is getting operated on

porthole

Retired
Get the Landmark and some radios. Let your wife drive you stay in the camper. Helps with Deb. I also had a custom made cushion for the back seat of my truck (the GMC's fold own flat on the classic models).
Deb can spend hours in the camper while traveling and she has spent hours in the back of the truck when towing the motorcycle trailer.

You still have your work cut out for you, I figure with the 5 surgeries Deb had it takes about a year for the surgery to heal to tell if the repair worked.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
All I can say is thank you so much, Debbie and Duane, Pete and Deb, Jim G., Debbie B, and Larry and Sam and all my supporters for all your uplifting words. I was getting my lower back stretched in all different directions yesterday at physical therapy, howling away, and all your words came back into my head, and helped me get through it. I joined a pain management message board, and was happy to hear that Debbie B's words were correct that I am just about on schedule, albeit in a hurry. My neurosurgeon is a heartless guy and told me I was way behind schedule which threw me into a deep depression for a day or two. Then my buddy Pete comes thru with all his kool comments about my rock star status, and I couldn't help but laugh it off. Thanks east coasters and mid westerners, you folks are awesome. My rig is totaled, and I sold my truck today, so I have to hope that the new year will bring a pain free year, so Debbi and I can camp out in your neck of the woods, and hang with the greatest bunch of friends in the world I have never met.

Last edited:

Larryheadhunter

Hi everyone,
Just had the scare of my life. I'm in the hospital after my wonderful, DW Debbi insisted that I showed symptoms like shortness of breath, and no appetite, etc, so my angiogram showed a 76% blockage of my right coronary artery, so now I am the recipient of my 5th stent. The cardiologist told me that it was caused by the inflation of a previous balloon angioplasty, and was hidden only to be discovered by symptoms, and corroborated by ultrasound during the angiogram. So 3 cheers for caring, watchful wives, who saved me once again. Whew, so going home today and in 3 weeks get to start cardiac rehab.

Now the good news. My back is starting to actually feel better, so my filthy corset was finally discarded and symbolically burned in the backyard BBQ. I guess I am a little pyromaniac, but it was fun. I am so excited that after the latest round of excruciating, painful physical therapy and massage, I am finally getting a little relief from the pain. I was able to walk some, of course until I started getting short of breath, lol, so your west coast mascot is back on the road to recovery. It will supposedly take a year to recovery, but at least it's finally showing some improvement.

Just an update so today the pain doc is lowering the Oxycodone dose, and I'm in better spirits. Just maybe there is a Landmark San Antonio somewhere 6 months ahead in the distance. Thanks to my dear, wonderful wife I will live to possibly RV one day. Thanks everyone for all your support, looks like all your prayers are starting to show some results. At least there is a sign of it. One day at a time.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Wow, Larry, how much more are you going to have to go through?
Thank goodness Debbi recognized the signs...what a great woman.

I was glad to read that your back is improving and you are moving around again.

If you want I would be happy to run up to Elkhart and get that trailer for you. Then you can call me next year and I will bring it to you...:D

loafer

Hey Larry glad the DW is looking after you .You have had more than your share of medical issues and pain to deal with . Just getting of the Oxy pain killers will make you feel more normal and better.I know that those prayers and best wishes are helping also.
Take it easy and get better soon , You got lots of camping days ahead my friend
Best regards
Bill

Tom of Ypsi

Larry, Good to hear your back is getting better and glad the DW is looking out for you. Take care and hopefully soon you will be out looking for that new camper I know you want.

RollingHome

Larry's whole problem is he's afraid to tell his DOC's to guarantee him for parts and labor for 90 days... For crying out loud, any Doc will give him a good to go sermon ! Anyway, he's out of surgery with one more stent (medicated in his right main artery), life is good and soon he'll be chasing Debbie around the picnic table... He really is an animal ya know... Larry, did ya take yer meds today dude ? When ya gonna get that LM and stop yalkin about it... Their are hungry mouths at the LM campfire and they need your $$$ ...

Take No Prisoners, Tom

Larryheadhunter

Hi everyone,
Just a quick update here. I can actually breathe again normally! I am totally amazed that the cardiologist and the pulmonologist both blew the cause of my symptoms of being unable to breathe, which had forced me to become bedridden. They had loaded me down with an oxygen concentrator and all kinds of inhalers etc, until DW Doctor Debbi diagnosed that it was a blocked artery, and not COPD or emphysema. After forcing the cardiologist to do the angiogram, and them finding the 76% blockage, I am now the proud recipient of another medicated stent, total of 5 now. It was nice to hear that my horrible lifestyle didn't cause the blockage, rather a previous balloon damaged the internal walls of the artery. Anyway, now that I can breathe normally, my back is beginning to feel a bit better after 4 painful months. Anyway thank you Larry, Bill, and the 2 Tom's, for your kind words. Larry (SouthernNights), you are more than welcome to pick up that Landmark for me, hope you can afford it, you are such a nice guy for offering to buy me such a nice rig, lol! Now that's being a great friend.

I am just happy that I am feeling so much better, oxygen to the brain does wonders, and hopefully by spring we will be ready to rock and roll with a new rig. I am contemplating renting a MH or a HL 5ver for a few trips, just to make sure my body is up for it. Anyone who knows where to find rental units, please let me know. And thanks again for all your support, Heartlanders, you are the best!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Hey Larry,
Glad to hear you are responding to the oxygen! LOL
I tell you what, if anyone deserves to get a Landmark it's you and Debbi.

Dont rush the recovery. Everything will still be here when you are 100%
Have a good Thanksgiving. You and Debbi have a lot to be thankful for.

Larryheadhunter

Hi everyone,
Well, it's been 5 months since my double spinal fusion, and I have both good and bad news. The good news is I can breathe easier now that my coronary blockage was found and corrected. The bad news is that my neurosurgeon just declared my surgery a failure of spinal fusion, and suggested in 6 months I allow him to redo the surgery, but this time go in both posterior (the back), and anterior (through the stomach), to make sure it's done correctly. HOLY COW! Tell me this isn't happening. I have been experiencing pain down my legs again, not sharp but really aching, like I just ran 10 miles up hill, and my back is still very painful. I am trying to keep a smiling face, and look at the bright side, but this is a tough one to handle. I don't think I can go through this surgery again, but I may have to. I pray every day the fusion will take hold, so I am wearing the Orthofix contraption that helps fusion and my corset again to try to do what I can to assist in the healing.

My pain doc put me on Nucynta, which is a pain drug stronger than Oxycodone for the severe pain I am in. After one day on that horrific drug, I stopped it as it was way too strong, and left me bedridden and in a bigger stupor than I was already in. I refuse to give up and be a cripple. No way. Not after 4 major surgeries and 5 coronary stents in the last 7 years. Please everyone pray for my recovery, and keep supporting me like you all have. Thank you very much for all your attention over the last several months, I really couldn't have made it this far without my Heartland supporters.

I am not posting this bad news for to be felt sorry for, but rather since over 3,000 of you have watched my progress and supported my recovery, I thought I would let you all know what my status is. I hope that the fusion will finally take hold soon, and I am still holding my head high. I just feel badly for my wonderful DW Debbi, who has been my source of strength and love, and caregiver, and shouldn't have to be put in this situation, where her loving husband of 31 years is in this bedridden predicament without much upside. Thanks again for all your support, my friends. Hopefully God will step in and create a miracle, which is what I pray every day for.
Happy holidays to all of you, and remember to appreciate your good health while you have it as you never know when this type disaster will strike, and test your will.

loafer

Hang in there Larry,sorry to hear that things arent going well with your back fusion .They say there is a reason for everything although I cant imagine what it is in your case. I guess it could be worse somehow.May the Lord give you and Deb strength
one more time to get you thru your pain.
Thoughts and prayers
Bill and Maureen

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have been told the Lord only gives us what we can handle, although it is very difficult to understand most times. Hang tough buddy and you will get through this. You and Deb are and have been in our prayers for your healing. It will happen. Remember the Bible says "Through His stripes (the beatings Jesus sustained) we are healed". Claim His healing and don't look back. God Bless.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Larry,
Hang in there! It sounds like the situation sucks, but you can get through it. We might be recuperating at the same time next summer, but camping will be much better after all this stuff is over.
Kristy

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Well Larry all I can say is that is okay to be disappointed with this outcome.
I am hoping they can find a way to go back in with minimal invasion to correct this. Back surgery is so unpredictable but your courage has never wavered on bit. Battling two war fronts-1. the constant pain back surgery brings
2. taking meds to get you through the day that eventually betray you
at one time is difficult.
You have worked so hard and I pray that maybe your body along with Gods healing grace will turn this all around somehow.

dieselsweetheart

Oh Larry...I know you had hoped for better news and we all hoped for better news for you. For any of us who haven't experienced the kind of pain you have or the issues with the pain killers...we can't say we know what you're going through... but we can continue to support you in any way you need...spiritually, physically (which your wife has done, bless her..."in sickness and in health" many don't remember those vows)... I still believe in the power of prayer and for whatever reason we didn't get all of them answered...but your doctor is human too... I know you didn't want to hear "I'd like to try this again"... and the decision ultimately is yours....I'm praying that you make the decision that is best for you.
I'm happy to hear that your cardiac situation was diagnosed and corrected so you are feeling better in that respect. You know your Heartland friends are only a thread away!!

Uncle Rog

Merry Christmas Larry!
I have not seen you for a couple of years and know you were struggling even then.
I have friends who have gone through what you are and I know it is tougher than "heck".
I hope you are able to break out that big smile once in a while that you had showing me your rig.
Best wishes for the new year and your future recovery.

Uncle Rog

gratton

Larry, I am so sorry to hear that your surgery was not a success. My wife has had back problems for the past 12 years as well. I just hope and pray that if you do have another surgery that this will be total success.

Last edited:

Larryheadhunter

Wow, thanks fellow Heartlanders so much for the outpouring of support, everybody. Since my last post 5 days ago, it is amazing that in this busy holiday season, I can tell you on this 100th post on this thread, laying in bed, in the middle of the night, trying to sleep unsuccessfully, 100 of you have written wonderful supporting posts, emails, phone calls and PM's to and for me. It is really lifted my spirits and all your kind words are uplifting and awesome.

Honestly, this unprecedented expression of unconditional support has really helped me fight through these unfortunate circumstances, of pain and suffering. It's given me the strength to soldier on. I appreciate so much I have become the Heartland mascot and I know I represent many of you going through similar painful circumstances. Let's all pray that God only gives you what you can handle.

Since the surgeon dropped the bad news on me about the failed fusion, I am fighting to prove him wrong, and working super hard to make this fusion a reality. I have to tough out a treadmill stress test, to allow me to go to cardiac rehab, so I can keep trying to strengthen my back as well as improve my stamina.

Thanks again friends. You folks are unbelievable, and giving me much needed strength. I have hope now Debbi and I will see u on the road this spring, God willing. Happy holidays.

Last edited: