LED lights

CliffP

Has anyone had any experiences or have any info to share on LED lights?
I'm not sure how LEDs (which operate on DC power) that are manufactured for DC fixtures compare, but here are some comparisons between LEDs for AC and AC incandescent lamps. There is some power lost when AC is converterted (usually by a driver which) to DC to power LEDs.
(DC to DC = no power lost so more efficient)
LEDs use 10 to 20% of the power incandescent lamps.
Good quality LEDs last for 50,000 hours incandescents last for 1,000 hours.
Cheaper LEDs are rated at 12,000.
LEDs cost a lot more but does using less power (battery should last longer) and lasting longer make them worth it?
They are available in color temps (from warm white which looks like a standard incandescent to the higher temps that are almost blue and uncomfortable to most of us).

jbeletti

Cliff,

Sounds like you've done a lot of research already. My experience is with the LED units for the ceiling lights (recessed halogen) in my Landmark as well as the reading lights.

The original bulbs in the recessed lights are G4 Bi-Pin Halogen in 10 or 20 watts. The reading lamps have an automotive (tail light) base. And the 2 pendant lights over my sink which I have not changed out are a wedge base.

I was not able to get the color temperature I wanted (around 3400 k) for the recessed lights, so I bought only 4 to try them out. They are bright! And very white, like florescent (around 4100 k). The reading lamps I changed to are warmer light.

I am pleased with what I have in terms of how they installed and the power they use. I changed out the ceiling ones just to try it out. I changed out the reading ones because one was burned out and being 1 foot from my head in the recliners, they put out a lot of heat. The LEDs are MUCH cooler of course.

My experience.

Jim

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Check out this link a fellow forum member shared with me.......he said it cost him about $70 to LED light his whole Landmark!!! We gotta let our little lights shine! :D

LED Lights

traveler44

I installed a couple of 450 lumen cool whites in our ceiling fixtures. One in the kitchen and one in the livingroom. They are so much brighter and whiter that I ordered two more 450s and two 315s. I got mine from Rigid Industries and they come with the adapter to plug in to your kind of fixture and the lights themselves are the sticky backed flat panels. I found direct replacement led tail lights at Advance Auto. and you don't have to pay shipping when you buy from the store. Tom M.