Leveling problems with new rig

rickandjoyce

When trying to level our new 5/w, we noticed the tire shafts are mounted with u-bolts. So when we try to level it (side to side) the tires go up but the trailer does not go up. Has anyone else experienced this? Our sales person came out today and was perplexed as well. Any help would be appreciated.

jbeletti

Sounds like you need more blocking. There is some degree of travel in the suspension, but at some point, the trailer must go up on the lifted side.

How high are you stacking the blocking and stillngetting no RV body lift?

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Are you pulling the rig up on blocks or are you trying to jack it up?

Peace
Dave

SilverRhino

I don't understand how that can happen.....When we put our trailer up on a 2 X 10 that side ends up going up 1 1/2 inches. The physics of the whole thing seem to require that if the bottom of your tire goes up everything else will go up the same amount.

szewczyk_john

They have not made dimensional lumber for ages. A 2x10 is only 1.5 inches thick so the trailer is going up the same height as the board you are using. If you had any dimensional lumber left such as is in my house, it is almost petrified. It takes alot to even drive a nail into it now. Most times you bent the nail.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It does "sound" like he's trying to raise it by jacking the axles, rather than piling boards under the tires. Nice not to have to do that anymore.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OH NO, hope they are not jacking up the coach by the axles. OH BOY...STOP WHAT EVER YOU ARE DOING..NOW. Get some lumber to drive the tires on.

caissiel

If they are trying to level the unit once its off the truck the frames are so strong that the both sides will rise by lifting one axle and therefore the springs will just take all the load.

rickandjoyce

Thanks to everyone for their comments, etc., We took the trailer out for it's test trip and haven't been home to see these responses. We are leveling just like we did our old trailer; on blocks or lumber depending on how much leveling is required, under the tires, NOT jacking the axles, and we are leveling while on the truck. We had our rep come over and he also recognized the problem and was puzzled. He was going to look into it more from the factory perspective. However, we recently poured a gravel parkway (took out some lawn) and that's where we were leveling. We decided to move it to concrete and it worked just fine. Not sure what all that means, but if we go somewhere and park on grass I'm hoping we don't have the same problem.

With that seemingly corrected, we are quite happy with the new trailer. Thanks again for responding.

Bob&Patty

I'm still a little baffled how, if you are using blocks under the tires that the axles and springs drop. Can't happen by the laws of physics. The only way that it could happen is if you are only blocking up one axle...not both axles. I guess it's one of those "seeing is believing" moments.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think what I am reading from the explanation is that when they were adding boards under the tires it raised the tire, but the suspension was adjusting, thus the body of the RV did not move upwards as they had hoped.

I have seen this before as well.

E

Bighurt

This makes a lot of sense if they like many up here do and use levelers under only one tire. With the equalizer set-up you have to lift both tires to achieve body lift. Otherwise the suspension takes the difference. And I'm talking both on one side vs both on one axle.

hoefler

If you are blocking only one wheel and tire on a tandem axle set up, you will only raise the frame or rig half the thickness of the block being used to raise it.

Bob&Patty

IMHO, I would never only block up one tire. It would put excessive weight and stress on the raised axle. If the raised axle was raised high enough that you unload the other axle completely. Then the weight on that side would be sitting on only 1 tire, spring, and axle. If the axles on that side had a combined weight of 5K (10K total both sides)....then 1 tire, spring, and axle would have 5K sitting on it. If you get my drift.

Bighurt

IMHO, I would never only block up one tire. It would put excessive weight and stress on the raised axle. If the raised axle was raised high enough that you unload the other axle completely. Then the weight on that side would be sitting on only 1 tire, spring, and axle. If the axles on that side had a combined weight of 5K (10K total both sides)....then 1 tire, spring, and axle would have 5K sitting on it. If you get my drift.

I agree and have always blocked both axles...but I've seen it quite a bit with only one tire blocked, rare but it happens. I also see guys double tow a 24'+ TT and a boat with 1/2 pick-ups...

Jimmy

Raising one wheel only 1 and 1/2 inch will not harm anything, it is no different than being parked on a "bump" or going up a hill, this small amount does not shift all the weight to one axle.

hoefler

Raising one wheel only 1 and 1/2 inch will not harm anything, it is no different than being parked on a "bump" or going up a hill, this small amount does not shift all the weight to one axle.

Agreed, that is why we have that thingy between the axles that the springs attach to, I believe it is called an "equalizer". I have on many occasions blocked only one tire if I only need to raise it half the distance of one block.

rickandjoyce

I think what I am reading from the explanation is that when they were adding boards under the tires it raised the tire, but the suspension was adjusting, thus the body of the RV did not move upwards as they had hoped.

I have seen this before as well.

E
This is EXACTLY what happened. We are taking it in for service in a couple of weeks, so will have them look at that as well as the other issues.
Thanks.