LT tires or ST tires???

scottyb

I contacted Treadit and found that my 2013 Cyclone came with 110# rims. Give them a call. I still went with the Michelins.

Jimsryker

I contacted Treadit and found that my 2013 Cyclone came with 110# rims. Give them a call. I still went with the Michelins.

I have to admit, I love my Michelins! I put them on my TV and improvement was immediate. I had been thinking of going with an LT tire until I started reading these forums and I saw all the differing opinions listed here. My Cyclone 3010 is a 2013 as well. I under stand the max PSI rating is stamped on the rim. Did you find that to be the case Scotty?

scottyb

I never could find the stamp on back of my wheels. I got on Treadit's website and found my wheels. This particular wheel only came in 2 configurations, 6 - lug bolt and 8 - lug bolt. The 8 - lug bolts are 110 PSI. Then I called them and gave them my VIN to confirm.

GOTTOYS

I never could find the stamp on back of my wheels. I got on Treadit's website and found my wheels. This particular wheel only came in 2 configurations, 6 - lug bolt and 8 - lug bolt. The 8 - lug bolts are 110 PSI. Then I called them and gave them my VIN to confirm.
A lot of the 8 bolt wheels were rated at 80 PSI. Mune are. If you look on the inside of the wheel you should be able to see what PSI they are rated for. It will require crawling under it or taking one wheel off....Don

JanAndBill

A little over 9,000 miles on my factory ST's and never a problem. Today however I just changed what so far, had been perfectly good set of tires out with Goodyear G614s. I did so for a number of reasons, but first and foremost was the constant threat of a problem (perceived or real). The second was just as important and that was the speed rating on the ST tires. I'm not a speed demon but the ideal performance rpm on my truck is 2100. At that rpm I'm running 67-68 mph depending on terrain, which in my mind was unsafe on the ST tires. My 8 lug rims were stamped for 110 psi, so all is good. Anyone need a deal on some gently used tomax ST tires????

fishnwich

Looking at changing my Tow Master tires on my 2013 Elkridge 34 TRSE. I was told that the Goodyear RST G 614 will not fit due to the tires clearance being to close on the GY LT235 85R 16 G rated. The tow Master are 235 80R16. Anyone change to GY and was there any issues with width? I will check with Heartland on the tire pressure of 110 lbs for this year tire rims. The original tires are as stated above E rated at 80 psi.

danemayer

Looking at changing my Tow Master tires on my 2013 Elkridge 34 TRSE. I was told that the Goodyear RST G 614 will not fit due to the tires clearance being to close on the GY LT235 85R 16 G rated. The tow Master are 235 80R16. Anyone change to GY and was there any issues with width? I will check with Heartland on the tire pressure of 110 lbs for this year tire rims. The original tires are as stated above E rated at 80 psi.

Do a Google search for specs on each and compare the outer diameter. I believe both are 30.7". If the OD is the same, the clearance between tires should be the same. But you should check the specs for yourself.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
My guess would be the rims are not rated for 110 psi, unless they changed rim style recently. If the look like this, they are only rated to 90 psi.

gy5yhu2u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

A 235/85 is 0.9 inches larger in diameter than a 235/80. They'll both be the same width (235mm or about 9" at the sidewalls).

Therefore, there will be about 1" less space between the two tires if you switch. Unless there is less than about 3" space between them now, I'd think you'll be OK.

slborba

You hear most about whatever is mostly used. Assume 100% of trailers start out with ST tires and 1% of owners change to LT tires. If they had the same failure rate, you'd hear 100 times as many complaints about ST tires as you would about LT tires, just because of the 100:1 ratio of how many of each are in use.

If there's a very low percentage of owners switching to LT tires, and we hear zero complaints about failures, is that statistically significant? I'm not a statistician, but I know that with small samples, whatever your findings, they're not likely to be meaningful.

So does changing to LT tires make the problem go away? I don't believe we have a large enough sample size to know. Just my opinion.

What can we do? I'm a believer in maintaining a large margin of error. So if the tire is rated to carry 3750 pounds, I verify that none of my tires are carrying more than 3250. 500 pound margin (14%). I air the tires up to 110psi which is their max cold pressure, and then I monitor with TPMS so that I know if tire pressure falls even a few pounds. Additional margin. The tires are rated for 75 mph. I drive between 55 and 60. Additional margin. I have Goodyear G614s that have steel from bead-to-bead, which helps prevent damage if I ever do hit a curb. Additional margin.

Does all this guarantee no problems. Of course not. But I know that by keeping safety margins as large as possible on all critical factors, I am increasing the likelihood that I won't experience a failure.

Dan: Newbie question here.....how can I determine the max tire pressure my wheels will allow? I currently have ST235/80R16 "E" tires. I want to replace with G614 RST ST235/85R16G.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

danemayer

Dan: Newbie question here.....how can I determine the max tire pressure my wheels will allow? I currently have ST235/80R16 "E" tires. I want to replace with G614 RST ST235/85R16G.
Thanks in advance,
Steve
Steve,

The max cold inflation pressure is stamped on the tire sidewall. For load range "E" tires, it'll probably be 80psi.

If you upgrade to Goodyear G614, check your wheels. They need to be rated for 110psi. If you look on the inside of the wheel, you'll probably see 110psi or 3750 lbs stamped in the metal.

slborba

Thanks Dan. Exactly what I needed to know. I'll check the wheels tomorrow --- hopefully my wheels will be rated to allow me to upgrade to the G614s.

Steve

Miltp920

Here is the 16x6J Sendel T09 rim that came on my 2014 Cyclone July 2013 build. It is stamped on inside of rim 3750 @110psi. See attachments at bottom for my pics. You can read it under your 5er on the rim with a flashlight. I have read do NOT put an LT tire on a trailer, and do NOT put a ST tire on a truck. NO "P" tires either on heavy trailers. But some have done it with success by their posts.

My guess would be the rims are not rated for 110 psi, unless they changed rim style recently. If the look like this, they are only rated to 90 psi.

gy5yhu2u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 2102-3.jpg
    2102-3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 2101-2.jpg
    2101-2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 50