My 2 dollar dog

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Recently booked a couple of nights at Bismarck Lake campground (a US Forst Service campground) near Mt. Rushmore during the week betwen Gillette rally and Cody rally. Reservation and payment made through Reserve America. Notation at end of reservation confirmation states that we would be charged $2 by the camp host for our dog. This is the first time we have ever been charged for a pet in a US Forst Service Campground. I really get agitated when they start creating new fees without provideing any benefits. I sure hope they give me some pooper scooper bags for that 2 bucks!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We went to a campground and they wanted to charge $5 a night for our dog. I asked why, and they said because people did not pick the poop and they had to have someone go around and clean it up.

We said sorry, we always pickup afte our dog and I am not paying for other people that don't, and I started to leave. The host stopped me and said they would only charge me $5 one time. It would cost me more in fuel to find another park so we stayed...

I have heard that some are starting to charge for water.

BC

jpajax

Two years ago took a trip to Texas with my camper, stop at a KOA in Arkansas and was charged a $2.00 fee for my dog. It had more messes left on ground than any cg I had ever stayed at and it had no bags and no cans to put it in. It made me wander did people think that if I had to pay $2.00 let them pick it up and yes I DID pick up after my dog but I admit that I did have thouse thoughts.

PeternLiane

Two years ago took a trip to Texas with my camper, stop at a KOA in Arkansas and was charged a $2.00 fee for my dog. It had more messes left on ground than any cg I had ever stayed at and it had no bags and no cans to put it in. It made me wander did people think that if I had to pay $2.00 let them pick it up and yes I DID pick up after my dog but I admit that I did have thouse thoughts.

I'd really think about leaving it on the ground too if I had to pay. IF they want me to pay for it to be picked up I might let them pick it up. However, being a responsible pet owner I would pick it up. It's just the lazy people who don't pick up after their pets.

donr827

There is a cg in the Florida Keys that requires you to put down a $20 deposit for your dog. If they have no problems with your dog you get your deposit back when you leave.
Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It's funny, well not really, but so many people are walking around with their pets and don't appear to be carrying bags or flashlights at night. Many times we've given bags to people saying, "Oh, I forgot to bring a bag". Well here ya go my friend, I have an extra.
FYI Walmart carries 1 gallon food bags, box of 100 is around $2. Large enough for a good load and plenty of bag left over to tie a knot. Much cheaper than those roll refills. We just tie a bag to the leash handle or carry an extra in a pocket.

vakthund

If they charge a fee to pick up after irresponsible dog owners they should also have a fee for irresponsible campers. There are far more of the latter.

---
One day I'll put something clever in here.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If they charge a fee to pick up after irresponsible dog owners they should also have a fee for irresponsible campers. There are far more of the latter.

---
One day I'll put something clever in here.

Love your tag line!:)

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
It's funny, well not really, but so many people are walking around with their pets and don't appear to be carrying bags or flashlights at night. Many times we've given bags to people saying, "Oh, I forgot to bring a bag". Well here ya go my friend, I have an extra.
FYI Walmart carries 1 gallon food bags, box of 100 is around $2. Large enough for a good load and plenty of bag left over to tie a knot. Much cheaper than those roll refills. We just tie a bag to the leash handle or carry an extra in a pocket.

We save the plastic news paper bags they work great.

FordMan1966

Fort Wilderness Campground at Disney World charges $5.00 per day per dog. I pick up after our dog and I stop and put the dog in the RV with a bark collar on before I check in after paying this fee for nothing several times.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
No real difference between paying to clean up after your own dog and having to pay sales tax on internet purchases from out of state vendors. Always somebody trying to reach into your pockets.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
We went to a campground and they wanted to charge $5 a night for our dog. I asked why, and they said because people did not pick the poop and they had to have someone go around and clean it up.

We said sorry, we always pickup afte our dog and I am not paying for other people that don't, and I started to leave. The host stopped me and said they would only charge me $5 one time. It would cost me more in fuel to find another park so we stayed...

I have heard that some are starting to charge for water.

BC

We stayed at a beautiful park in coastal Mississippi (Majestic Oaks I think it was called). They had people that went around and picked up trash and poo. The place provided those standard poo receptacles and bag dispensers. We loved that. It meant not bringing poo back to the coach. But I suppose some people still don't clean up. The park did not charge extra for pets.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker

That is a good deal.

We get the biodegradable poo baggies. They're even scented (yay!) Even though we have the little attachable dispenser, you wouldn't believe how many times we have had to run back to the car to get it. Hunter doesn't care for the thing dangling off his collar and I've yet to engineer a way to attach it to the leash. Shall be on my list of projects (because I'm tired of running back to the car!)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We keep the Walmart Grocery bags to use as poo pickup. I tie them shut and put them in a 5gal bucket outside under the trailer. When I go to dump our trash I include it with the trash bag.

Works for us. (oh.. BTW my dogs poo does not smell....)

BC