Oil Change Intervals

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Do you change your oil on set intervals? Say 5000 miles? Or do you wait for the computer to tell you to change oil.

Looking for my first oil change on the 2016 Ram 6.7. I did dump the oil at 1500 miles. I am now at the 5000 mile interview but the computer still says I have 52% life left.

'Lil Guy'

With synthetic you can go longer however I don't I change between 5 and 6K using Royal Purple 15 40 and the RP filter. I buy the oil at amazon and take it to the dealer. Costs me about $25 for the oil change and it's on my record. This is the life blood of the motor. Even though you can go longer, I just do it for peace of mind. Since I tow my rig a lot, I had my trans serviced at 38K miles. JMO

pegmikef

Four to five thousand miles depending on the number of towing miles during the interval. This isn't rocket science, for instance, I'm getting ready to go on an RV journey that will be about four or five thousand miles, so I am planning on having it changed (plus whatever else needs done) before we depart. At that time there it will have been just under four thousand miles since the last oil change (in North Carolina). I would rather do that instead of having to get it done on the road.

Mark-Roberta 051995

I try to stay on schedule "B" I think it is for my truck - 7,500 miles. I do not tow a lot so I feel comfortable at this interval. My computer still says I have 20-35% life left but I change it anyways. I do my fuel filters based on the computer but do not get below 10%. I have found out through the last 2 Ram's that you can do the front fuel filter every other times than the rear. The rear gets pretty nasty.

farside291

I was told by the service department that for normal driving of the 6.7 Cummins the normal oil change interval is 15000 miles or 6 months. For more severe duty he said to change the oil filter and oil every 7500 miles. Or at least the filter every 7500 miles. He said the trucks are shipped with full synthetic oils in them because the manufacturer doesn't know where the truck will end up. He also said he has seen warranty claims being held up for approvals because Mopar filters were not being used.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Do you change your oil on set intervals? Say 5000 miles? Or do you wait for the computer to tell you to change oil.

Looking for my first oil change on the 2016 Ram 6.7. I did dump the oil at 1500 miles. I am now at the 5000 mile interview but the computer still says I have 52% life left.

[Jamie: My new Ram came with lifetime oil changes and even though the manual calls for every 10,000 miles the dealer changes it every 5,000 miles. That is the same schedule I have done with all my Ram's in the past as well. Both fuel filters are replaced at 15,000 miles.]

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
I follow the onboard computer for my 2016 RAM 3500, but modify it enough so that I do not have to look for a place while on the road. I presently have 24K on the odometer, and just had the second oil change. The computer readout was 25% remaining.
I was hesitant at first, as my previous 2008 RAM was on a pretty rigid 5K oil/filter change cycle. But the difference now is that I am using only full synthetic oil (yes, it is costly), and by following the recommended 15K/6 month interval I am enjoying a 10 year/200,000 mile engine-powertrain warranty.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks all. Just prior to purchasing this truck, I bought a "4 pack" of synthetic oil changes from the dealership. I have 3 remaining that carried over to this truck. My 07 Ram was old school. It did not have any onboard readout monitoring the life of the oil and filters. Just a little sticker in the corner of the windshield reminding me when you change the oil. Which was every 5000 miles.

I put around 500 break in miles on before towing. Then about a 1000 miles of towing. After that, I dumped the original oil and used my free oil change. I'm right around the 5000 mile mark now. Maybe I'll visit the dealership and get their recommendation. I would say 95% of my miles are hooked to the trailer.

dave10a

After discussing this with our regional Ford representative, I am told that Ford has very stringent requirements with the oil specifications and they have spent a lot of research on the engine software that notifies when to change oil. Ford also stands behind warranty claims that prove they follow those recommendations. Ford also acknowledges that people still believe in the old school, but they claim we are now in the era of the new school. Changing oil more than Ford recommends is a waste of resources and money. Also it noted that the oils of today are much improved over the oils of yesterday...... I believe that GM and RAM have similar recommendations.

Gary521

Dave is correct. Oil change intervals are NOT what they used to be years ago. The stated oil change interval on my Duramax is 10,000 miles and that is not just with synthetic. My son-in-law owns a trucking company and some sources are telling him that with regular filter changes ( don't know what that is ) it's possible to get 50,000 miles before changing. Sounds impossible but some truth in there somewhere.

Many of you have probably seen the Mobil 1 ad where the race driver Kevin Harvick is standing in the motor talking about the "Annual oil change" . Well, that annual oil change is 20,000 miles. Old ideas die hard.

DocMartin

I go by the computer which usually is about 7000-7500 miles on my truck. I just did the 4th oil change at 28k. It had a little life left but had a tow planned so did it early to prep for the tow. I did the fuel filter at 15k and it still looked new.... My computer told
Me I still had 38% left but did it early anyway. I did the spin off trans filter at 5k early and now I do them every 15k. That makes it easy and really improves that Allison life. Don't need to drop the teams fluid until 60k for severe use I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

Testing oil by drawing a sample at set intervals will let you know how long you can run with your favorite oil. Some synthetics advertise "extended" drain intervals and that can be done by changing filters at set intervals and replacing the lost quart.

A Fumoto drain valve will allow you to pull samples for testing. If you are in what is considered "severe" areas, by your owner's manual, you may want to change oil before the DIC tells you to. Arizona for instance is hot and dusty and considered a severe area for engine oil.

The days of 3K mile oil changes are long gone and some European cars have been running 10K or more for a couple of decades. Some US manufacturer's are still trying to sell you an oil change every 3/5K.

DocMartin

Testing oil by drawing a sample at set intervals will let you know how long you can run with your favorite oil. Some synthetics advertise "extended" drain intervals and that can be done by changing filters at set intervals and replacing the lost quart.

A Fumoto drain valve will allow you to pull samples for testing. If you are in what is considered "severe" areas, by your owner's manual, you may want to change oil before the DIC tells you to. Arizona for instance is hot and dusty and considered a severe area for engine oil.

The days of 3K mile oil changes are long gone and some European cars have been running 10K or more for a couple of decades. Some US manufacturer's are still trying to sell you an oil change every 3/5K.

True. We use Blackstone on our race car and on my M5 sedan in the past to check on things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

driver311

test it dont throw good oil away....... i get over 50000 miles before a change. i sample at 15000 mi filter changes. last truck had 300000 +-, it was a 14 ram. i have a 17 now i will be testing and may never change the oil

NYSUPstater

FWIW, I change the oil/oil filter every 5k and fuel filters every 15k using Rotella T6 on the truck. Trans oil changed every 30k. Our old VW Passat diesel and current gas Passat is on a 10k oil change interval.

Yes it's true on semi trucks the oil change intervals are up to 30k and in some cases 50-70k. PLUS using lighter weight oils to increase mpgs.

I agree too that the oil technology has improved vastly over the years and mfr's are recommending longer intervals because of it and to save money. Many, like myself, find it hard to come to grips going that far between oil changes. On one hand if not putting on a lot of yearly miles, then a 5-7500 miles interval is ok and not overly expensive. If on the other hand you are putting on lots of miles, then I guess the theory of longer intervals comes into play. While I don't agree seeing semis go 30-70k miles between oil changes, someone making more money than me, must know what they are talking about. There are devices that can be added to trucks (by pass filters if memory serves me right) that allows for increased oil change intervals upwards of 100k with no depreciable wear or loss of performance.

I was told by a good friend of mine that oil is cheap insurance. Draw your own conclusion (not being a wise azz).

alexb2000

On my pre-03-04 trucks it was easy to get long oil life. Something to consider is the amount of EGR these new trucks have. While oil doesn't wear out it does get contaminated and EGR is a huge source. I'll stick with 5k and full synthetic oil, it's too expensive of an engine to save a few bucks.

wdk450

I was told by the service department that for normal driving of the 6.7 Cummins the normal oil change interval is 15000 miles or 6 months. For more severe duty he said to change the oil filter and oil every 7500 miles. Or at least the filter every 7500 miles. He said the trucks are shipped with full synthetic oils in them because the manufacturer doesn't know where the truck will end up. He also said he has seen warranty claims being held up for approvals because Mopar filters were not being used.

I have read on diesel forums that the Cummins engines are shipped with Valvoline Blue series oil. I have found an oil that Valvoline has an oil for "High Mileage Diesels", and used that on the last oil change. With my now low mileage, no towing truck use, I am on a 1 year schedule. My truck has 170K miles on it.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvolin...15W-40-Heavy-Duty-Motor-Oil-1-Gallon/49660457

Last edited:

Lynn1130

I don't know about Valvoline blue but Valvoline oil went down hill in the wear tests as well as other test some years back. I do not us Valvoline any longer.

Eric1234

I maybe overly aggressive but I change my oil every 3k miles. My truck is primarily for towing and qualifies under the extreme duty cycle. I use ford filters and replaced the oil drain plug with a fumoto valve.

Hope this helps

Eric