Oil Change Intervals

I don't have my reading glasses on and didn't read the entire post to see if someone else has the same comment I do. But I use my 2015 Ram almost exclusively got towing. I change my oil before 5000 miles. I pick a time when it's convenient so sometimes at 4000. I also dropped my oil at 1500 mikes

the reason why I change my oil more frequently than recommended is I believe until the motor has broken in. There could be blow by gasses past the rings and diluting the oil with fuel. Testing the oil is the sure approach.

This is is my third Cummings equipped truck. You can read that some say the truck won't make good fuel economy until 60,000 miles. My current truck has 15,000 miles and I think I'm seeing a little better fuel economy which should continue to improve a little. I'm not expecting a lot because the way the engines are built today with advanced alloys and close tolerances. The break in period is reduced. But they are high compression motors with turbo boost and I'm certain there's some fuel getting by the rings into the oil

Another way to look at this if you take the 7,500 mile approach is. These trucks could go 300,000 before a motor rebuild the rest of the truck might be worn out by then😊

2010 Ram 3500 HD traded in for new 2015 3500 HD DRW mega cab with the 3.42 gears
I haven't hooked up yet, we'll see how it pulls with 17" wheels. (Pulls great !)
2014 Cyclone 3100
G614 Goodyears
Good Sam gps
Trimark keyed alike
Xantex 2000 watt inverter "Inverter Service Center"
Blue Sea System toggle source selector
L.E.D. running lights
Quadra Bigfoot levelers
Dexter wet bolts
Boyo wireless backup camera
EMS-HW50C
TST 507RV
Smittybuilt air compressor
Splendide 2100XC
26k Husky hitch
Mor Ryde pin box
6-volt 240 AH batteries
Added dinette
Replaced L.E.D. tail lights with Leading Edge Trailer light bars (made in the US)

PondSkum

I don't put a lot of miles on my truck, but most of them are towing. In just under 3 years, I'm at 18,000 miles. I've changed the oil at yearly interval, which is close to 6,000 miles. The book says 15,000 miles, but I am not going to stretch them out to every 2.5 years.. LOL

SNOKING

I don't put a lot of miles on my truck, but most of them are towing. In just under 3 years, I'm at 18,000 miles. I've changed the oil at yearly interval, which is close to 6,000 miles. The book says 15,000 miles, but I am not going to stretch them out to every 2.5 years.. LOL

Book says:
15,000 miles
6 months
500 hours
Which ever occurs first.

I have been forced into 6 months based on my mileage. Two years old and 33K on the clock. 4 oil changes to date, and next one is due in December. I did an one at 4500 miles in Dec 2015, then June 2016, Dec 2016 and June 2017.

Chris

Lynn1130

Oil change intervals are what ever makes you feel good. If it is 3K or 20K if you can afford it and like the interval, do it! This is especially true with synthetic because it has little to do with the environment and tree hugging :)

SNOKING

Oil change intervals are what ever makes you feel good. If it is 3K or 20K if you can afford it and like the interval, do it! This is especially true with synthetic because it has little to do with the environment and tree hugging :)

However it does have something to do with manufacturers warranty support. Chris

Lynn1130

However it does have something to do with manufacturers warranty support. Chris

Not really. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act pretty much says that the vehicle manufacturer has to prove that the oil did the damage to the vehicle. Amsoil took a very prominent motorcycle company to court because they were saying that if you did not use their oil they would not warranty the engine. The motorcycle company lost.

If you decide to run your oil for 10K and the truck manufacturer says you "should" (note they never say "must") change at 5K and you test your oil and it tests good at 10K the truck manufacturer has no leg to stand on in court. And they know that.

SNOKING

Not really. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act pretty much says that the vehicle manufacturer has to prove that the oil did the damage to the vehicle. Amsoil took a very prominent motorcycle company to court because they were saying that if you did not use their oil they would not warranty the engine. The motorcycle company lost.

If you decide to run your oil for 10K and the truck manufacturer says you "should" (note they never say "must") change at 5K and you test your oil and it tests good at 10K the truck manufacturer has no leg to stand on in court. And they know that.

That is just wishful thinking. Magnuson-Moss looks nice, warm and fuzzy. Amsoil had the deep pockets to challenge the motorcycle company, and it was VERY important to their marketing of their product. In reality they have teams of attorneys up against little guys with one over warranty issues. Any dealer can mark your warranty as void and you will have one heck of a time getting that reversed.

Ford is noted to denying warranty issue. Do you know anyone that has won against them?

We purchased a FCA factory 8 years 120K extended warranty. I will follow their guidance on fluid changes to assure that warranty remains.

Chris

Lynn1130

We purchased a FCA factory 8 years 120K extended warranty. I will follow their guidance on fluid changes to assure that warranty remains.

Good idea. Fact is there are attorneys out there that will take these cases with nothing out of your pocket and they get their fee from the manufacturer (ask me, I know). Magnuson-Moss has some teeth and I can attest to it.

Oil change intervals are "suggested" and not set in stone.

SNOKING

Good idea. Fact is there are attorneys out there that will take these cases with nothing out of your pocket and they get their fee from the manufacturer (ask me, I know). Magnuson-Moss has some teeth and I can attest to it.

Oil change intervals are "suggested" and not set in stone.

"Suggested"

From the 2015 Diesel supplement:

CAUTION! Failure to perform the required maintenance items may result in damage to the vehicle.

NOTE: • Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or six months or 500 Hours, whichever comes first.

Looks like more than a suggestion to me.

I think FCA has lots of latitude to cancel a warranty if an engine failure occurs and you can not show that you followed their info in your owners manual.

Lynn1130

That truck must have very weak engine parts. 15K? Mine says a year with no mileage limit. Amsoil suggests 25K or higher with filter changes at certain intervals.

The point here is, if you test your oil, you can run longer, IF YOU WISH. Engine oil, especially synthetic, which I am talking about, does not degrade at a certain mileage as Dodge or some of them might want you to believe. If you subscribe to the "all oil is used up at 3K" or some such mileage you are still living in the 1950s.

Believe the thought that you must change oil at a certain interval if you wish but it is horse xxxx.

I am not suggesting that you ignore your vehicle's manual. I am suggesting that, and have in other posts here, you do not need to change oil if you test your oil at certain intervals and want to run longer. As I said earlier do what makes you feel good about your oil.

And I am guessing you could buy a lot of oil with what is spent on an extended warranty but that is for another thread. Oh wait, I think there are some already.

SNOKING

Mine says a year with no mileage limit.

Actual it says it could be as long as a year or more. I reality with heavy usage it will be much sooner, based engine oil life system.

Engine Oil Change When the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message displays, have the engine oil and filter changed within the next 1 000 km/600 mi. If driven under the best conditions, the engine oil life system might not indicate the need for vehicle service for more than a year. The engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and the oil life system must be reset. Your trained dealer technician can perform this work.If the engine oil life system is reset accidentally, service the vehicle within 5 000 km/3,000 mi since the last service. Reset the oil life system when the oil is changed.See Engine Oil Life System on page 10-9.

*Encouraging others to disregard the manufacturers guidance is a bit disingenuous.

Last edited:

Lynn1130

*Encouraging others to disregard the manufacturers guidance is a bit disingenuous.

I bet you leave the labels on pillows too :)

Amsoil, among other oil companies suggest 25K or longer oil changes so I guess they are all disingenuous also. Different companies make oil filtering systems that extend the life of oil for longer periods. I am not suggesting that if you are still under warranty, you disregard the "suggested" time/mileage but I am saying that much like the tags on pillows, we have been brainwashed to believe that we MUST change oil at certain times and mileage. Not so and multiple tests by various labs have proved that.

I will say it again. Do what you want with your oil. I am simply saying that there are other, educated opinions, out there that dispute the auto manufacturers and oil companies. Below is some reading that might help you understand the concept.

http://dtsc.ca.gov/TechnologyDevelopment/OPPTD_FLY_High-Efficiency-Oil-Filters.cfm

https://cumminsengines.com/cummins-oilguard-extrends-oil-drain-intervals

[url]http://www.lelubricants.com/lit/testimonials/8800%20Cox%20Wood%20Preserving%20Co%202.pdf

[/URL]

I could fill the page with these but they all pretty much say the same thing I have said above.